Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 2 Feb 2016.

1. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I am afraid I have more sad news from the zoo. Taken from Focusing on the Zoo and Safari Park Facebook page. "On Thursday, September 29, Bahati, a giraffe at the San Diego Zoo passed away. Bahati was born at the San Diego Zoo on November 9th, 1991. Bahati was known for being an excellent mother (giving birth to 11 calves over her lifetime) and for her sweet demeanor. Several weeks ago staff noticed that she had developed significant lameness in her left rear leg. Subsequent tests indicated compromised renal function. Despite ongoing medical treatment, her quality of life was diminishing rapidly. Yesterday zoo operations closed that area of the zoo to the public while animal care staff made the difficult decision to euthanize her."
    What this announcement does not say was she was pregnant with her 12th calf. Vets were unable to save the baby. :(

2. betsy

Sorry for the confusion, the construction taking place in that area is for the walkway bridge that is being built over the canyon. They may take advantage of the animals being off exhibit to do some renovations to the exhibits but that is not the reason there were moved.

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ok Phew, I thought these animal where gone for good. At what time is the bridge going to be completed?

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Many of us (myself chief among them) wish they would move the lions permanently to Safari Park (or build a better zoo exhibit). That tiny space they have in EO is a disgrace.

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The turtles stayed on exhibit with the gharials, while the freshwater crocs moved to a facility in Florida (any ideas on which one)?

The two babirusa babies born a while back are both female.

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Jayjds2, do you know if this other zoo is planning to come public anytime soon or are they going to try flying completely under the radar?

Also was this from inside sources, or did you find an article published somewhere that stated another facility had received them?

I'm glad that an effort is being made. If successful pangolin husbandry can be figured out, it will open the door for ex situ conservation that many pangolins unfortunately may be in the need for in the coming years. That being said, I still have my reservations about whether this venture will be fruitful. Fingers crossed

7. jayjds2

I am not sure. They do have adequate space in which pangolins could be put on exhibit.

Someone (MikeG I believe) posted in the Pangolin Conservation thread that two relatively well-known AZA facilities besides San Diego were maintaining pangolins. A member of the site with ZIMS access (I'll refrain from naming him so he doesn't get spammed but you'd probably know who) was able to confirm the presence of pangolins at the other zoo, as well as how many are kept at both. That could have changed by now, with potential births/deaths. As this is still non public information, and I was specifically asked not to share it, I am obliging. The actual Pangolin Conservation base does not use ZIMS and remains a somewhat shady organization. As soon as an article, announcement, or the like is made for the unknown facility, I'll post it. Until then, we can hope. Between the SDZ and the Pangolin Conservation facility (and who knows how long they've had the species...) a suitable diet was developed, and there is a good possibility for success. Like you said, fingers crossed.

8. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the info Jay.

I'm sure the PCC and the unnamed zoo cooperating with Brookfield have their reasons for keeping this information out of public view, but as someone who strongly believes in transparency, it bothers me a little that they wouldn't release any of this information, and the lack of info coming out of this pangolin facility in Florida is concerning to me. It is quite possibly a legitimate and world-class facility that simply wants to stay out of the public eye, but couldn't it also be the opposite situation?

9. jayjds2

?Sticky? Situation – ZOONOOZ
    Article about the Lord Howe Island stick insects. Of the 300 that came to San Diego, 137 hatched and 72 survived to nymph-hood.

10. pachyderm pro

Africa rocks updated plan http://www.zoochat.com/39/africa-rocks-updated-plan-465229/ thanks to otter lord for the image.

updated Species list
    African penguin
    Sharks species
    Dwarf crocodile
    Ratel/Honey badger
    Multiple lemur species
    fossa
    Vervet monkey
    African leopard (most likely Amur leopard)
    African eagle
    Geldas
    hamadryas baboon
    Nubian ibex
    Multiple bird species
    (The following animals are already on exhibit)
    Klipspringer
    rock hyrax
    Dwarf mongoose
    Serval
    More birds
    (Just for fun, the following animals have been cut from the project)
    Hornbill
    zebra
    Warthog
    Spotted hyena
    aye-aye

11. jayjds2

Both female okapis at the zoo are pregnant. I do not know their names, many of them have moved between the Zoo, Park, and other facilities lately.

12. betsy

The two new amur leopard sisters went on exhibit for the first time today. Their names are Satka and Liski. They are from Mulhouse Zoo in eastern France.

13. pachyderm pro

Will they be moving to Africa Rocks once completed?

14. betsy

I can't believe I have to report again that we have lost another of our older animals.
    Silver, the Masai giraffe, was 23 years old and had sired 25 calves.

15. betsy

No, they will stay in the Asian cats' exhibits.

16. pachyderm pro

Are there other leopards in the exhibit? If so will they be moving to the rocks?

I know you viewed my thread "a bad year for San Diego zoo" Man the death toll is really rising this year.

Sumthi and Ranchipour Elephants
    Stanley secretary bird
    Baba pangolin
    Janey orangutan
    Silver and Bahati giraffes

Off topic but do you know when the new bridge is opening

17. betsy

Right now there are 3 snow leopards and 3 amur leopards that rotate through the 4 exhibits. I see no reason why any of them would be transferred to "Africa Rocks".

They haven't started any construction on the bridge yet. Everyone I talk to thinks they are still on schedule for a summer of 2017 opening.

18. pachyderm pro

I thought that Amur leopards would be placed in a African habitat in Africa rocks? Thanks for the updates.

19. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That was a rumor from another member that has not been officially confirmed and should be treated as such until the zoo gives a concrete idea of what will happen.

betsy likes this.
  20. jayjds2

The Andean bears (Turbo and Alba) recently had a snow day.