Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo news 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 2 Feb 2016.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As for the "death toll" the death rate (as listed) is very low for a zoo the size of San Diego. Don't forget they have (I am fairly certain) the largest animal collection in the country. Most animals have short lifespans compared to humans. It should be a matter of course that animals die regularly in zoos - this is an unavoidable fact of nature and nothing to decry (unless it can be proven that it is due to staff negligence, which it will not be at a zoo of this caliber).

betsy and jbnbsn99 like this.
  2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For those SD fans that don't read the European threads, a group of Hamadryas baboons are on their way to SD from Frankfurt, Germany.

Ninja Penguin and betsy like this.
  3. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

looks like 19 baboons total, thats awesome I was wondering how big the troop was gonna be at first

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only place in the USA I remember seeing hamadryas baboons is Phoenix Zoo (and I have been to a lot of zoos). It will be a nice addition and it is great they are getting such a large group.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the 1980-ties ( and maybe even later ) more US-zoos kept the Hamadryas baboon. In the Int. Zoo Yearbook for example births were mentioned for 1985 at Asheboro, Catskill, Miami Monkey Jungle, St. Louis and Springfield. Would be intresting to know what happened with all those breeding-groups...

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

There are still a number of Hamadryas baboons in the US. Besides Phoenix, I know that Oakland, Knoxville, Asheboro, Columbia, and Brooklyn all have some, and I believe there are a couple more. They are actually the only baboon in the US with a formal breeding program.

I believe this might go without saying, but will San Diego become a participant of the EEP like Bronx has done? I'm also interested to see if this second addition spurs a newfound interest in keeping geladas in North America.

7. dinosaur50

dinosaur50 Well-Known Member

neet

8. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Didn't know there is an EEP for Hamadryas baboons, must be the most commonly kept baboon in Europe ( numbers in the 100-ths ! ).

9. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hamadryas are also kept in Honolulu, which is the only place I've seen them (I have been to Knoxville but it was before baboons joined the collection).

It'll be interesting to see how the gelada situation pans out.

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There isn't!!!
    There is one for Gelada though.

11. jayjds2

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Access to on-line library services for non-members: I wonder if it is possible for non San Diego Society people / staff to access the library services of the SanDiegoZoo Library?

If I now check the info it seems f.i. the studbook library they have is only accessible for zoo staff (see under: SDZG Library).
    QUOTE: "
    [paste:font size="3"]. Popular pages:

• Library "How To" Guide -- learn how to search our catalog, request and check out books, find and retrieve journal articles, improve your online search skills, and more
    • Catalog -- search our collection: books, proceedings, reports, dissertations, seminars, DVDs
    • Journals -- search our list of journals, with direct links to publications available online
    • Databases -- search our subscription and open access databases for articles and information
    • Sperm Atlas -- San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research sperm morphology database
    • Staff Publications -- list of San Diego Zoo Global staff publications (PDFs available to staff)
    • Studbooks -- breeding records (staff only; please request password)
    • Fact Sheets -- detailed, fully referenced information about key animals at the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park, with photographs and a comprehensive bibliography
    • Historical Time Line -- explore San Diego Zoo and Safari Park history
    • Research Guides -- recommended websites, books, and journals on a variety of topics
    • New Books & DVDs -- explore the latest additions to our collection (updated monthly)
    • Zoo & Conservation News -- keep up-to-date with our weekly news summary (subscribe by email)"
    UNQOUTE.

Ideas or suggestions?

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Yeah, the studbook information used to be viewable by everyone - I used to access several of the studbooks for my own interest on a reasonably regular basis - but it was locked off about two or three years ago :(

14. jayjds2

Seven Goliath bird-eating tarantulas arrived at the zoo November 4th. They were confiscated in Maryland and are now on display at the Arachnid Rescue Center.

15. jayjds2

A mandrill and a pair of capybara were all born recently and have gone on exhibit.

Jaguars and lions have returned to their Elephant Odyssey habitats.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2016
  16. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do the exhibits look any different then before?

17. jayjds2

No, it was simply a paint touch-up job on the net supports. As expected, nothing major.

18. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks. I to was not expecting much but still disappointed. The jaguar exhibit is pretty solid, but the lions have one of the worst exhibits for there kind I have ever seen.

19. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. jayjds2

A two toed sloth was born nine weeks ago to parents Nico and Consuela. I believe the zoo keeps Linne's.