Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Regarding the video of the African penguin exhibit posted above: to those of you that are unfamiliar with the zoo, the shots of the current exhibit are at the beginning and end of the video and show the exhibit with water, penguins and people viewing them. The much larger exhibit that is being built is shown in the middle of the video, still under construction. Potentially confusing clip!

ZooBoyNZ likes this.
  2. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been covered in a earlier thread, but I was looking at the San Diego Zoo's map for 2017 a moment ago and noticed that a caption that's covering the [blurred out] Panda Trek area reads "Pandas moved to Center Street during construction." What is this about? Also, based on the map, it appears the leopards have not been relocated. Have the red pandas and takin been moved or are they still in their same exhibits?

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They are building a new bridge going over the panda exhibit. They moved the pandas to not stress them out during construction. They are now in a pair of the bear grottos in, "Asian," passage. The red pandas and takin have not been moved.

AnaheimZoo likes this.
  4. pachyderm pro

Oh, and the leopards have not been moved and can still be viewed.

5. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1.0 klipspringer was born February 9th. I saw some debate about whether the zoo had hybrid or Cape klipspringer on this site, does anyone know which it is? I read that the keepers say they're Cape.

6. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They've referred to theirs as Zimbabwean. Oreotragus oreotragus stevensoni.

jayjds2 likes this.
  7. pachyderm pro

Does anyone know what's going on with the lion tailed macaques? On the map it shows them have being replaced with red cheeked gibbons. Can anyone confirm this?

8. jayjds2

That is correct. The gibbons were moved from an inadequate exhibit on the monkey trail (they were replaced with Colombian brown spider monkeys). The plan was to introduce the gibbons and macaques but that didn't work. The 2.6 macaques are now behind the scenes.

9. pachyderm pro

Thanks for the info, come on San Diego stop holding out :p.

10. pachyderm pro

Just some random questions I have :).

Are the wombats still in the children's zoo?
    Are there plans to reintroduce the macaques back?
    Does anyone have info on what animals are being held behind the scenes (I head there is a-LOT)?
    What's the zoos current population of sun and sloth bears?
    What animals are in the bear grottos (I know pandas (Temporarily), Grizzly's, and cape otters)?

Thank you in advance :).

Grant likes this.
  11. jayjds2

Well, most zoos have a lot behind the scenes. It SDZ it is mostly birds. Some cool stuff (the only of their kind in the US) like ornate fruit dove, white bearded manakin, red-billed malkoha. Others which are uncommon like gang gang cockatoo. For mammals it is mostly those whose exhibits were compromised by other projects: tree kangaroo, royal antelope, southern hairy nosed wombat, Siberian musk deer. I'm sure there are a great deal more species of mammals, birds, and of course reptiles and amphibians, but those are just what I know. The zoo has a primate breeding center that currently has all kinds of lemurs and vervet monkeys, for African Rocks. I know they've got a decent snake breeding area. Somewhere they've got a setup with Lord Howe Island stick insects. Again, those are just more examples that probably don't come close to what the full list is.
    No sloth bears, 1.1 Bornean sun bears that are incompatible. I don't know if they are trying to breed, but it would require a different male or female to do so.
    Also 1.1 spectacled (Andean) bears that will eventually be paired for breeding.
    Yes, there is a common wombat which is being trained as an ambassador animal.
    Nobody knows for sure, not even the staff the last I heard. It won't be with the gibbons, though, if it does happen.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  12. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While I was at the zoo a few months ago, there was a group of staff undergoing training along the sunbear exhibit. I guess the female there is one of the last breeding females in the US, so I imagine they would want to get a new male ASAP then!

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sun bears not on phase out in the US????

14. pachyderm pro

San Diego is the only zoo in the U.S that has success with breeding sun bears, I have heard no intention on getting red of them (They have a single exhibit centered around them).

15. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Sun bears are being phased out, but there's no breeding moratorium because of the low reproductive success and the benefit of additional husbandry research. The female at San Diego is the only one that has reproduced in recent years, but the male she reproduced with is at Columbus now if I remember correctly. The attempts to breed her with the newer male have been unsuccessful.

16. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The first part of the new bridge has been installed. Two more sections should be going up next week. It is to the right of the eating area of Treetops Cafe. I uploaded a photo.

17. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The 4-year-old male snow leopard, Rami, had his eye surgically removed last Friday. He was in pain due to glaucoma. His first day back on exhibit was Monday. He seems to be adjusting fine according to the keeper. I uploaded some photos.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2017
  18. jayjds2

Female Amur leopard Liski will soon arrive at the Staten Island Zoo. She was one of two imported from France last year.

Two ice-making machines have been added to the polar bear exhibit.

A countdown to the opening date of African Rocks is here: San Diego Zoo Africa Rocks
    I believe that is June 10th.

betsy likes this.
  19. jayjds2

Two stone partridges hatched recently.

betsy likes this.
  20. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Are there any other zoos in the United States that keeps this species?