Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Article: My Days Herding Leopards

betsy likes this.
  2. gormancgo

gormancgo Well-Known Member

betsy likes this.
  3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Just a quick random question:
    How many Bird of Paradise species are on and off show at San Diego? I've seen some fairly unbelievable numbers elsewhere on the internet.

Grant likes this.
  4. jayjds2

I remember seeing raggiana, and I missed superb but it is on exhibit. The website also lists magnificent but I don't recall that one. There are a fair number of raggiana behind the scenes at the zoo- I saw 5 or 6 in a two second pass by their aviary (it can be seen on a bus route). The website says magnificent and superb are behind the scenes at the bird breeding center at the park, as well.

5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Leopard Sharks from the Californian Coast and Asian Leopards at AFRICA Rocks??!! Hmh, there were/are exhibits at San Diego Zoo much more correctly refering zoogeographical zones....

I for myself would have prefered a new penguin habitat within the Childrens Zoo area.

6. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have an idea of some of the species held in their bird breeding complex?

7. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While it is fully certain that it will indeed be Amur Leopards in Africa Rocks,I do find it interesting that the Africa Rocks website seemingly intentionally blurs the species. It mentions them being of the African species at one point ("This African cat tends to be solitary..."),and the title itself just gives it the generic name leopard,but it also mentions them being a "classic of the African woodland." I wonder who they think they're trying to fool.

8. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Where is official confirmation that's it's Amur? Is that what your hypothesis is, or a fact stated by the zoo?

9. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sorry,that is meant to say almost fully certain. Only one or two facilities in the U.S. have African Leopards last I'd checked,one in Louisiana with one leopard,and the Maryland zoo with two,meaning they'd have to had imported new leopards from elsewhere to make African Leopards a reality. As much as the optimist in me really wants it to be so,I'm fairly sure it's not going to happen.

10. pachyderm pro

Thank you for the clarification. Fingers crossed the zoo does import a pure bred African leopard, would be a real treat to see.

JVM likes this.
  11. jayjds2

African leopard holdings in the US:
    1.1 in Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo
    0.1 at Columbus Zoo
    1.0 at Southwick's Zoo
    Maryland's last individual passed away last year. It's possible some are at roadside facilities.

12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Thanks. I saw their website but I also found a quote by literally some guy saying they have nineteen species in total, so I just wondered.

13. jayjds2

They have held 19 species over their 100 year existence, but never at one time.

betsy likes this.
  14. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Mila, the elephant has died. It was announced on the photographer's Facebook page.
    Jenn Beening

15. pachyderm pro

So devastating :(. I feel terrible for Mary. To think a year ago San Diego had 7 elephants, now there down to 4.

16. clm1950

clm1950 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Link to Photographers page?

17. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Heartbroken to hear of this loss. Does anyone know if the zoo plans on taking any more elephants anytime soon?

18. pachyderm pro

Elephants up for grabs include San Antonio (Once Lucky bites the dust), Santa Barbra and Fresno's Asians will soon be in the market for new homes. Africans are much more scarce. In fact, I cant think of any available.

19. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Fresno's Asians are a high possibility.

20. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Substituting a subspecies is not as serious as substituting an entire species. Who are they trying to fool? They don't have to try; do you think the general public has a clue as to how an Amur leopard differs from an African leopard? When I was a docent, there were several times I was at the lion exhibit and adults would tell their children "look at the tigers." And jaguars are invariably identified as cheetahs. You think some tourist off the street will say oh yes the fur is several millimeters too thick for the African race, it must be the Amur race? Not only will they not know, honestly they won't care even if a ZooChatter is standing there to correct them. BTW The Living Desert has done this for many years with no problem.

betsy likes this.