Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by Coelacanth18, 28 Dec 2016.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is not surprising as the Zoo is the holding facility for geriatric and / or requiring intensive medical attention elephants.

Which ones are left now? Which ones have died in the year (apart from African cow Mila)?

2. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

To answer which have died in the past year, Mila and Ranchipur were all I could find. Sumithi had died the previous year in April.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sumithi died in 2016.

4. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Jenn Beening is the zoo spokesperson who announced it on the Facebook page. If you click on her name it should take you to the post.

5. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know how many Capuchinbirds and Andean Cock-of-the Rock SDZ holds?

6. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2.1 capuchinbird- SDZ was the first to breed the species in America back in the 1990s, but just recently had success again.
    There are 9.3 Andean cock-of-the-rock, one of few places with breeding success.

Grant and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ah,figures. I'd seen several articles stating she'd died the previous year so I figured it was accurate,but evidently not.

8. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

First off, that's a tad of a blasé statement towards Lucky's eventual passing. Secondly, she could live for another 20+ years if all goes well, and third, the other two cows at San Antonio are owned by Ringling, and it is equally likely they will take them back if they are in a position that the zoo no longer wants them.

9. pachyderm pro

It was simply a metaphor towards Lucky's eventual passing. My apologies if I sounded out of context. While its possible she could live another 20 years, it is extremely unlikely, especially due to San Antonio's mediocre exhibit. Though she has out lived the zoos expectations so anything is possible. A good point regarding Ringling's former elephants, I forgot they where owned by the circus.

I don't want to get to off topic on this thread, if you want to continue this conversation please message me.

10. jayjds2

A golden-headed lion tamarin was born about four months ago and can now be seen on exhibit with its parents in Parker Aviary. Also in Parker Aviary, silver-beaked tanagers are now on exhibit.

betsy and drill like this.
  11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From Facebook :

Final Trio of Captive-Bred Puaiohi Released

Dozens of times, over the course of nearly two decades, staff from one of two bird conservation centers on Maui and Hawai‘i island boarded a Hawaiian Airlines plane with either a small wooden box or a large, six compartment crate. For each trip to Kaua‘i they were transporting captive raised puaiohi, 240 in all, to release them to the remote, rugged Alakai Plateau below Mt. Waialeale.

Yesterday, the two-compartment box carried onto the plane by an employee of the San Diego Zoo Global’s (SDZG) Maui Bird Conservation Center, got a lot of attention from passengers. Is it a dog? Is it a cat? No, the worker explained, it is a puaiohi, one of a half dozen rare, endangered forest birds found only in the montane forests of Kaua‘i. The zoo officially ended its puaiohi captive breeding program a year ago, with the release of 15 birds then. These last three were kept at one of the bird conservation centers for an additional year, because they were underweight and not quite ready for release.

Dr. Lisa ‘Cali’ Crampton, the project leader for the Kaua‘i Forest Bird Recovery Project (KFBRP) watched as the final two puaiohi to be released made their way from the Hawaiian Airlines jet, to a waiting helicopter for the quick trip to a release site at one of KFBRP’s field camps on the Alakai Plateau. She explained, “We continued the puaiohi captive-breeding program for 18 years, because initially it had such great success. When we started it’s estimated there were fewer than 300 of the thrush left on Kaua‘i. Due to the efforts of SDZG, DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife & U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists, our program and the support of many partners, there is now a stable population of about 500 puaiohi on Kaua‘i, according to a scientific paper we published earlier this month. Their habitat is protected by predator-proof fencing; invasive plants and animals have been controlled, and now we hope we’ll see their population numbers increase over time in the wild.”

Crampton goes onto explain that while it would be wonderful to see 1000 or 2000 puaiohi in the mountains, there was evidence that in recent releases the captive-raised puaiohi were not doing as well as experts had hoped. Many of the birds died within several months, likely eaten by predatory rats. She said, “The releases were not getting good traction, so these were not considered a good tool for bolstering the wild population. It was a fairly expensive strategy for changing the recovery trajectory, so we decided, with the puaiohi population remaining stable, it was best to spend limited funds on rodent control and focus on two other species that are in dire straits due to dramatic population declines.”

Both the ‘akikiki and ‘akeke’e have populations of around 500 and 1000 birds respectively, and the ‘akeke’e has seen a 98% population decline over the past 12-15 years. Bird recovery teams are putting the majority of their efforts now into collecting eggs of these endemic birds from nests high in o’hia trees, hatching them, and then raising chicks at the bird conservation centers for eventual release back into the wild.

On Monday, Jennifer Holler with the SDZG bird conservation program carried the final two puaiohi to be released onto the helicopter. At the field camp, she joined colleagues, who banded them so they can be identified and tracked. She said both birds are females and will hopefully be good breeders and nest builders in the wild. Holler remarked, “This is very exciting for me. I started working with this species more than 10 years ago and we all hope this final step in the recovery program means the puaiohi will continue to thrive in the wild.”

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. pachyderm pro

13. jayjds2

Unfortunately, Helen the Congo forest buffalo has passed away. She was the last in an AZA facility. There may be others at Micanopy Zoological Preserve and the Wilderness Safari (both in Florida) but the websites of both give no recent indication.

A collared kingfisher is now on exhibit in the side road aviaries near the polar bears (for those who've been, the area with kagu and Tongan megapode).

Beastking04 likes this.
  14. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice update, but what is with the bizarre uncaptioned photo at the top of the article? It shows a small watering hole (presumably in Africa) with the rear end of an antelope going out of frame on the left and right side.

betsy likes this.
  15. pachyderm pro

Yeah, I found that questionable too. Didn't really understand why that put that there.

betsy likes this.
  16. Beastking04

Beastking04 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's horrilble. At least I got to see her back in 2013 :(

17. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

18. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

19. pachyderm pro

The very last sentence states, "It will open along side the $69M Africa Rocks scheduled to open June 10th."

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the version I see says "It will open along with the $68 million Conrad Prebys Africa Rocks exhibit -- the largest expansion in the zoo's history."