Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Thomas, 7 Jan 2020.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As @Brum said, there are no Royal Antelope left and no Didelphidae afaik. The zoo should still have several ringtail possums but they are all kept off-show.

~Thylo

betsy likes this.
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To my knowledge the ringtail possums have never been on exhibit.

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The last one at Brookfield died a while back, unfortunately.

4. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

- They are the only one's with Royal Antelope
    - They do still have them off show
    - They only keep 2.0 Virginia Opossum

5. Zoocestovatel

Zoocestovatel Member 5+ year member

Thank you very much
    Is possible see common ringtail possum in any show (as animal ambassador)? I think, that common ringtail possums were in shows previously...

6. ThylacineAlive

You can pay for a bts animal encounter where you'll have a chance of seeing the possums I believe. The chance is pretty unlikely, though, because the species are randomly selected from a bunch of education animals. In the past they zoo has used cuscus in their show but not possum, although I didn't see the cuscus when I watched their show...

According to their social media, the Aquarium of the Pacific at least had a ringtail possum as an ambassador animal as of last year. Maybe seeing one there would be more possible?

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Been in San Diego zoo for a two of the nicest days of my life and leaving with a heavy heart.

Even if you are not a bird fanatic, this place can make you one. Besides the legendary Owens's and Scripp's aviaries I am very impressed by the Africa rocks and Parker's walkthrough aviaries too. The one next to the Bus loading station holding Kagu and Golden headed quetzal, could be the highlight in any other zoo, but here is sidewalk attraction. The Australian aviary have mind-blowing collection also. The Maleo can be seen there now.

The Lost forest is undoubtedly, the best zoo excibit I have ever seen. If man likes birds or primates, there is no better place to be. The newborn Common hippo baby is the also a big attraction there. Had to scratch the paths with pen over the map, because would probably miss something, even after two days.

Africa rocks is easily my all time second best exhibit. The only close one I can think of is the Chester's islands. The big European tropical buildings are great of course, but is hard to compete with the San Diego's natural climate, vegetation and fantastic horticulture. Have seen everything there, but the Nubian ibexes, which left the zoo temporarily, for breeding purposes.

I know, that Elephant odyssey is not very well accepted here, because of the great expectations towards everything this zoo is doing, but it probably have one of the most modern Elephant care facility In the world.

Even if SD have some stuning excibits, like Pygmy hippo (with Wolf guenon and Lesser spotted nosed monkey) Klipspringer (with dwarf mongoose and hyraxes) , Nubian ibex (with Gelada) and newborn Gerenuk baby, I wish the Ungulate collection would be bit better maintained. Since done the Caravan safari 40 km. north the day before, can not complain too much, though.

Polar bears have world class facility, with their own ice machines.The Sun Bear forest is also very well made , but the other bear species does not seem so lucky. The bus driver mentioned, that area with the old bear grottos and the notorious Aye aye cages, will be renovated. Do someone knows something about it?

Koalas series of exhibits are without alternative outside Australia, I believe. It is a baby there too.

The reptile collection is particularly intersting. Where the Turtle part deserves special mentioning.

The ambassador animals I have seen were an Aardvark,an Umbrella Cockatoo and a Beaver.

Have managed to see almost everything for two days, but the Otters. The African Clawless otters are not present anymore and their enclosure supposed to hold Spotted necked otters. The last was signed in two other enclosures too, together with Allen's swamps monkey and Schmidt's red tailed monkey, but were most probably off-show. On the top of that, the Sea otters were nowhere to be seen in the SeaWorld. Bottom line: no Otters for me :)

Even if I love the Europen giants Berlin, Chester, Vienna or Prague, have to admit, that San Diego Zoo is not the best zoo, but the best place I have ever been. Combination with fantastic excibits, collection, climate,conservation, education, facilities and great service make it my number one all time zoo. I am writing this on my way to New York to visit the World Champion and the idea, that there is something better or at least on par with San Diego Zoo is really exciting !

Last edited: 19 Feb 2020
  8. ThylacineAlive

Bronx and San Diego have two very, very different styles when it comes to exhibiting species and how they build their exhibits. Both are great, but do not visit Bronx expecting it to be like San Diego!

~Thylo

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Of course not :) The excellence is always unique.

betsy, nczoofan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  10. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. John Marchwick

12. John Marchwick

13. John Marchwick

14. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I wasn't planning on going for the next 2 weeks but now I don't have a choice. They have closed the zoo.
    http://sdzoo.com/covid19

Last edited: 14 Mar 2020
    ThylacineAlive likes this.
  15. John Marchwick

Arizona Docent and betsy like this.
  16. John Marchwick

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. John Marchwick

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  18. John Marchwick

19. Kevin2342

Kevin2342 Well-Known Member

Does the zoo still have cape clawless otter?

20. ThylacineAlive

No, their last animal died at the beginning of this year.

~Thylo