Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo San Diego Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by JurassicMax, 11 Jan 2021.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Am I the only one who has found it rather odd how low key the zoo is being about the children's zoo? With Africa Rocks it felt like they were pushing new updates and advertisements at every possible moment leading up to its completion, but they've barely said anything about the Children's zoo in the past two years. I get they may not see it as significant as Africa Rocks, but this is still a development costing $69 million! It blows my mind they have been so hush hush surrounding the details.

2. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

I too started thinking about this. I remember the extensive marketing campaign they did for Africa Rocks. I had gone to see Metallica at Petco Park in 2017, saw billboards and posters of Africa Rocks all over the Downtown area. I’m actually going this week, visiting the Safari Park on Wednesday and the Zoo on Thursday. I want to see if there will be the same type of advertisements around. My guess is perhaps the changing in management and re-branding of their organization is playing a key part in this, only time will tell and I will do an extensive photo shoot of the Children’s Zoo when it opens.

3. Julio C Castro

A new species was added to the Hummingbird Habitat: Bananaquit :) Saw it in person and documented with photographs, this is the 18th specie in the habitat which is expected to reach a total of 20.

4. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

5. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Any idea what species are going to be exhibited here? Also what species are in the hummingbird aviary?

6. Mr.Ivory

Mr.Ivory Well-Known Member

7. Julio C Castro

Unfortunately there isn’t much in regards to a species list but an article in the SDZWA made mention of the following species: Burrowing owls, naked mole rats, honey bees, Fiji banded iguanas, question mark roaches, golden orb weavers, African millipedes, and Goliath beetles.

8. Bengal Tiger

Thanks, anything about the hummingbird aviary?

9. Julio C Castro

The Hummingbird Habitat and Komodo Kingdom have been open since June :) I’ll tag my post here for reference.

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  10. Bengal Tiger

Thanks

11. IndianRhino

Yes, they both have been open for months. The komodo dragon habitat looks nice and pretty cool imo and houses a breeding pair, 1.0 Satu and 0.1 Ratu. While the hummingbird habitat looks okay imo, some of the rockwalls look pretty ugly but other than that it's pretty immersive and is filled with lots of colorful birds! If you would like to take a look at the habitats, look at the media section. There are several photos posted by @Julio C Castro himself! IIRC the children's zoo was supposed to open this month, but I guess it has been delayed.

StoppableSan and Julio C Castro like this.
  12. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Remember it's new and the plants will need some time to hide things well. In my opinion though the species list definitely is worth ignoring a couple so-so walls.

13. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

14. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

15. Bengal Tiger

IndianRhino likes this.
  16. IndianRhino

That's very unfortunate. Ig it does happen though since no vaccine is 100% preventive. I'm confident and hopeful the boys recover! I was planning on visiting the zoo this weekend, I hope they don't close that area down.

Bengal Tiger and Julio C Castro like this.
  17. Julio C Castro

While this is unfortunate indeed, I’m very hopeful for their outcome. Based on the article, it looks like no treatments are needed at the moment. That’s a big difference compared to when the gorillas at the Safari Park needed treatments in the beginning of the year, with Winston getting the monoclonal antibody therapy. It seems that the efficacy of the vaccines are helping with their overall symptoms and please remember that Coronavirus is very prevalent amongst susceptible species, such as primates and carnivores. These strains are more infectious than previous before and perhaps may be a seasonal virus similar to the Flu. My guess will be the tigers will be off exhibit at minimum for a couple weeks, seeing if any treatments are needed and monitoring their appetites.

18. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

19. IndianRhino

A 2 -year old female snow leopard named Baya died from covid this month actually at the Great Plains Zoo. She's the first animal that I know of that ended up passing away from the virus.

Rare Snow Leopard with COVID-19 Symptoms Dies at South Dakota Zoo: 'A Deep Wound'

Bengal Tiger and pachyderm pro like this.
  20. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Also Ekundu the African Lion who was born at the SDZ Safari Park died earlier this month at the Honolulu Zoo. He tested positive. Those are the only US ones, I think.