Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park San Diego Zoo Safari Park News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 27 Jan 2016.

1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The fenced off rhinos that you saw should be visible from the team. That area was formerly a black rhino exhibit. They would be the six southern white rhinos imported to try and bring the northern white rhino back.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ahh, thanks. In that case I saw them in their holding barns behind the old black rhino exhibit. They must have been kept off exhibit all day, as I saw them from the road outside at 9am and when I took the Africa tram tour around 2pm that exhibit was still empty on the inside.

3. jayjds2

4. jayjds2

5. jayjds2

Four warthogs were born 6/4/16.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2016
  6. jayjds2

There are thirteen greater flamingo chicks in their sectioned off area of the safari lake.

7. Arizona Docent

8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

10. jayjds2

11. Gulo gulo

Dhole from SDZSP and the Wilds will be expanding to new collections, soon. :)

12. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Will they ever be on exhibit in San Diego so that people can actually see them?

13. Gulo gulo

Balboa Park, doubtful. The Zoo is like Disney. The magic, flash and memories to be made. Pack in the people, and empty their wallets/purses. As for Escondido, I'm sure they'd like to. Question is, when, how and with what money? SDZG's operating costs for parks and beyond is very high. They've been milking donors over the last few years for major projects. Panda, Koala, Tiger, Elephant, Rhino, African Rocks, even the Leopards. How to capitalize on a canid that looks like a larger version of a fox? How can they spin it to garner donations? With current projects on-going, think they'd like to catch up and have product to be seen, experienced and profit. There seems no rush, at this time for Dhole to be on-show. Most of the investments at Balboa Park are to make it easily accessed, drive the cattle around, while offering outposts to garner monies. As for SDZSP, with their propagation centers, projects, and existing exhibits, they get by just fine. The real "cash cow" is the Zoo. They know this, hence the investments on such things as an employee parking garage to free up space for people and take some pressure off the surrounding area of Balboa Park. Be "World Famous", make us much money as possible, to fund their massive machine that is SDZG. Prebys recently passing, leaves a gap in donations. I don't know if there's a legacy fund or something, but a new cow to milk is needed. SDZG development team probably already has suitors lined up. Time will tell. Not many Zoos can compete on SDZG's-level these days in America. Some may say Omaha, Saint Louis, etc. But they pale in comparison to the juggernaut SDZG is when it comes to investments from donors. Saint Louis shouldn't really count, being where it's operational costs come from and they're admission is free. They do have opportunities for an extra fee, so it's technically not free to experience certain animals or experiences. I went way off-base, sorry for ranting. My apologies.

14. Arizona Docent

The dholes (some at least) at Safari Park are in the old tiger exhibit. Unfortunately this area is off exhibit because the path and bridge were damaged (in a storm I think) either before or during construction of the new tiger area. That area is slated for a future Asian expansion that will reconnect the new tiger area to the elephants (as it did in the old tiger exhibit). I am sure (as an educated guess) that dholes will be part of this. The question which no one knows the answer to is how long will this be?

15. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Supposedly there used to be a sign at the end of the trail stating to look for expansions soon,but when I last went,I didn't see the sign (though it may very well have been there),and when I asked an employee they said they had no plans at that time. I'm guessing maybe after Africa Rocks opens,or shortly before it does, this project will begin.

16. jayjds2

There are currently 29 dholes at the park. 7 are in the old 3 acre tiger habitat. At an off exhibit breeding facility there is a pack of 16 as well as three individual pairs.

All from here: Dog Days – ZOONOOZ

17. jayjds2

18. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm guessing Mabu's return means there hasn't been any reproductive success with the bull brought from Tampa?

19. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good lord, REALLY ?!? The SSP must be off its rocker.

ctfctf7, you are correct, the bull currently at the SDWAP, M'Sholo, has never successfully produced offspring (or even a pregnancy) despite being housed with a large number of proven breeding cows since his arrival to the USA. If he was ever going to, San Diego would have been the place.

On one hand, it is nice to see SD will start pumping out baby ele's again, however Mabu already has a whopping 11 offspring, all produced from San Diego females. It would be much, much more preferable to send him somewhere else (perhaps North Carolina or another zoo with males that don't seem to do the job), and instead acquire much more valuable males without offspring to give them the best chance at breeding, such as Tonka from Knoxville. Or even a yunger male in exchange for one of theirs, such as Tamani from Kansas or Ajani from Birmingham.

20. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What does Mabu's return to Escondidio have to do with the African Elephant SSP?