Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park San Diego Zoo Safari Park News 2022

Discussion in 'United States' started by IndianRhino, 4 Jan 2022.

1. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd be interested to know whether the Storm's Storks are still on display and how many, I've heard conflicting reports on whether they're still there.

Sarus Crane, TinoPup and IndianRhino like this.
  3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

4. IndianRhino

Argh... I was going to visit today but my trip got cancelled unexpectedly and it hurts even more now that I know I could've seen a newborn giraffe calf! :mad:
    Anyways, this is a Masai giraffe calf and the sire should be Gowon. I'm glad the park is now continuing their outstanding giraffe breeding program with the Masai variety!

5. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

This is probably not the right place to ask but does anyone know a reliable source for the herd sizes of some of the ungulates that live in the savanna area.

6. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

This inspection from July is probably the most up to date list with numbers: APHIS Public Search Tool
    It will be the third San Diego Zoological Society.

Platypusboy likes this.
  7. IndianRhino

8. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was watching a video that was taken in December 2021 and idk if I’m seeing things but it looks like the Safari park has integrated their Grevy Zebra herd with other animals in the Central Africa exhibit. If you go to 0:43 on the YouTube link it shows the parks zebras with their Roan Antelope in the Central Africa Exhibit. If I recall the parks Eastern Black Rhinos Aria and Kendi are also in that exhibit

Last edited: 25 Jan 2022
  9. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What’s the history with the Grevy’s Zebras here at the safari park, didn’t the zebras have their own exhibit due to aggressive behavioral problems with the other animals that could rise again?!

10. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't know many specifics, but yes you're correct. A lot of the aggression was towards newborns and young animals, both harassment and killing. Zebra are notorious for that, particularly Grevy's.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Makes sense they would be in the exhibit then because the black rhinos don’t usually breed on exhibit and the roan antelope aren’t breeding right now.

12. John Marchwick

but the rhinos I know they are going to breed. (There’s also Lesser Kudu if I recall in the Central Africa field exhibit as well). In regards to the rhinos I highly doubt the parks zebra will bother Kendi or Aria. Do you know why the park has stopped breeding their Roan Antelope?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. IndianRhino

There are actually Greater Kudu in that habitat and I believe the park is phasing out the species so obviously no breeding there either. The park is just taking a break from breeding Roan (and a few others) as they have decided to stop allowing many of their hoofstock species to breed freely and are instead controlling this more so that they can keep these populations more healthy and viable.

Jambo, Zorro, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  14. John Marchwick

That makes sense. One thing I do wonder now however is what are they going to do with the old Grevy Zebra exhibit?

15. leo811

leo811 Well-Known Member

I was told Teddy is currently the number one genetically valuable Sumatran male. ... Does anyone know if he and Jillian have been introduced yet? He was at SFZoo for at least two years.and they were never introduced, that is why they are in SD now. SD owns Teddy and being top value and Jillian high value, SD recalled Teddy and Jillian went with him.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Teddy isn't the number one genetically valuable Sumatran male - Jai in Phoenix is, and there are some other males (including Teddy's littermate Sparky in Atlanta who's only had one son, Rakan) between him and Teddy. Jillian is, however, the number one genetically valuable Sumatran female. Even if he's not currently the top male genetically, Teddy is still very special and a wonderful ambassador for his species.

I just visited the Safari Park on Sunday and none of the volunteers knew if Teddy and Jillian had been introduced for breeding. That doesn't mean they haven't been, just that the volunteers weren't told if they had been. This isn't necessarily something the Safari Park would share, even with volunteers, as they and other zoos can be secretive about such things, but that doesn't keep me from continuing to ask.

17. John Marchwick

@Elena off topic but while you were there did you ride the African Tram? I’m curious to know if you saw the parks Grevy Zebras in the Central Africa field enclosure in addition whats become of the former Grevy Zebra field exhibit?

18. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

I didn't. Hopefully on my next visit I will. It's possible they've separated the zebras into multiple herds, such as a breeding herd or a bachelor herd, and left the breeding herd in the original enclosure that can be tough to see if you have a Tram driver who doesn't like to use the brake.

19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The male was with the herd I believe and the females had just started to drop their calves. The stalling was still therev.... to allow him to remate.

20. leo811

leo811 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was also told Jillians status so mixed them I guess, and based on SD recall of Teddy sounded right. .... Looking forward to when they are introduced. Praying all goes well. .... Keep asking indeed! I know all.too well.about Zoo secrecy!

Elena likes this.