Join our zoo community

San Diego's Next Aquarium - OdySea

Discussion in 'United States' started by The_UltimateBea, 21 Jan 2018.

1. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

Although it is most certainly along ways away with construction starting no earlier than 2021, San Diegans can expect a new aquarium downtown. It will be built on the site of what is now seaport village as part of a mixed use redevelopment of the area which will be known as SeaPort San Diego. It will be built by the same developers who made the OdySea aquarium in Phoenix and designed by BIG(Bjarke Ingles Group).

Official site of the entire development:
    Seaport San Diego

Aquarium information file:
    http://seaportsandiegoca.com/shared/2016/06/A-2.pdf

Most recent article regarding development:
    San Diego Seaport Project To Transform Waterfront | ENR

Phoenix aquarium under same brand:
    OdySea Aquarium in Scottsdale, AZ - The Southwest's Largest Aquarium

Last edited: 21 Jan 2018
    Arizona Docent and pachyderm pro like this.
  2. The_UltimateBea

I am particularly intrigued by the integration of the LCD panels into the viewing glass. I don't recall it ever being tried before and it seems like a great way to integrate signage with viewing.

3. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like this.

When I was in San Diego earlier this month, I visited SeaPort village and really enjoyed the place. However, this new development looks splendid and modern. I of course really like what I'm hearing about the new OdySea aquarium. I really especially like that new underwater escalator & elevator, reminiscent of Berlin Sea Life's AquaDom. Butterfly Wonderland also sounds fun for younger visitors with families, but butterfly houses just aren't my cup of tea and can only get me so excited.

Though I couldn't help but cringe when I heard, "The state of the art 4-D movie experience, created in conjunction with national IMAX film producer MacGillivray Freeman Films, features species that are not represented at the aquarium such as whales and dolphins."
    Why must more of these awful things plague every facility in San Diego? Can visitors be satisfied with the animals?

*Sigh*

Well this whole development looks impressive, and while its a shame it won't be open by the time of my next visit to the golden state, I would love to come back and check this out sooner than later.

4. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this projects compltetion, hopefully it’s not delayed in anyway, making the long wait that much longer.

Seaport Village is far past it’s prime and it’s demolition, for me, can’t come soon enough. I was saddened to see Anthony’s Fish Grotto close recently. It was located next to the Star of India and had the best fish and chips with cole slaw I have ever eaten. During my last few visits to Anthony’s, they were actively trying to save their building on the water from the wrecking ball, but as much as I loved the place, I was aware of its short comings and it’s hindrance to the areas progress. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for the sea front.

Now I am patiently awaiting the Zoo to announce expansion plans. Nothing concrete, but there have been rumors of a parking structure and expansion into the parking lot. Hoping this happens, although I would prefer relocating the school. I don’t know how many obscene gestures and comments I ve heard or seen while near the Kopje over the years. That going both ways. Plus, at best, it’s awkward to be gawked at by kids while visiting the zoo. I pick relocating the school because it seems easier than moving the zoo and allows for expansion. I’ve always hoped they’d at least switch the fence from chain link to a block wall.

Anyway, looking forward to the new aquarium.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. pachyderm pro

I assume you aren’t referring to the San Diego zoo correct?

6. timmychompchomp

Yes, I’m speaking of the San Diego Zoo.

7. The_UltimateBea

2021 is shaping up to be a big year for San Diego, with this and the children's zoo both scheduling to be opened. Delays are certainly possible though, especially if there's rain.

8. pachyderm pro

So just to clarify, is OdySea starting construction in 2021 or opening in 2021?

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Where are you getting that from? Your links earlier said that ground-breaking for the development (as a whole) was in 2021 with a three to four year build.

10. The_UltimateBea

My mistake. The construction will be starting then, not opening.

11. The_UltimateBea

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What??? Anthony's closed? :eek:
    This is a true loss.

Ituri likes this.
  13. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Normally, I'm the last person complaining about new aquarias or zoos. But regarding that San Diego area has already at least 3 institutions with marine life (Birch, SeaWorld and Sea Life "McSea" Carlsbad), I ask myself why there should be built another one (Not to forget that Aquarium of the Pacific is close in "american distances" as well).

14. The_UltimateBea

None of them fit the bill of a true great aquarium. SeaWorld is a theme park. SeaLife is small and more in the style of a small attraction. Birch is small and has nothing that I would call great; it only has typical side view tanks with no large or unique species. OdySea looks to be a large top notch aquarium the likes of which we do not have.

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Should be a great place. I have been to the one in Phoenix and it is top notch, the only thing I found gimmicky was the "Living Sea Carousel" as it was fun enough, but seems like one of those things that eventually will give way to a traditional exhibit and a hassle to wait for the "ride" right now.

16. timmychompchomp

They reopened in La Mesa so we can still get the food, but have lost the view of the bay and the proximity to the zoo. I haven’t been to the new location, so can’t speak to any of its qualities.

17. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The current SeaPort Village has a fun and quaint look - like an old fashioned sea port. The new development (based on the renderings in the first link) looks very boring to me - kind of like a generic shopping center that could just as easily be in the midwest as on the coast. It will be interesting to see how it turns out and of course the aquarium will be a major new attraction for the downtown area, but the nostalgiac part of me will miss the old village (perhaps not as much as I will miss Anthony's which was a bit further north than SeaPort Village).

18. The_UltimateBea

I will definitely miss seaport village but I think it just came down to economics. Such a prime downtown location is much more sensible as a project with such a scope and size as the new development. The village had to go.

19. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hmh. Agree with Sea Life and Birch. But I wonder what exactly SeaWorld does not fulfill you have listed: They have large and unique species as well as some large tanks and a good range of different species (although I must confess that in the past - as SW San Diego had about 500 species - the last point had a higher weight).
    Also, where do you draw the line between a theme park and a top notch aquarium, specially when OdySea will (or intent to) have theme park elements and shows (see CORMORANT BIRD THEATRE, ACRYLIC SLIDES, 4-D THEATRE EXPERIENCE, THE LIVING SEA CAROUSEL etc. in your "Aquarium information file"-link)?

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

SW is great, I love going, but it is not the same as a general aquarium. SW is a theme park themed around sealife, OdySea will be an aquarium with some theme-elements. The Living Sea Carousel is not really a ride per-se...you sit in a chair and the theater spins slowly to the next acrylic window, gimmicky for sure, but not a theme park ride. Also cost, OdySea will likely be in th e$30-$40 range like the Phoenix location and SW is $70. Just different experiences that, I think, complement each other.