Join our zoo community

San Francisco Zoo San Francisco Zoo 2009-2011

Discussion in 'United States' started by leo811, 21 Feb 2009.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To my mind this is about the regeneration and back to strength of the SF Zoo. A zoo - IMO - that has undeservedly come in for a lot of negative media attention for all the wrong reasons.

I could quite get along with the idea of new hippo habitation for SF Zoo. I really do not see what the fuss is about re. the current criticism over the size of the pool or extra space for the rhinos (incidentally which have acquired new accomodation themselves).

To the latter rhino habitat: I appreciate some photographic material! :)

2. themightyshaw

themightyshaw Member

Geomorph-

Can you tell me where you got the information the Ulu , the SFZOO 29 yr old Polar Bear is the oldest in a North American Zoo. I have been searching online tonight as I thought I heard this somewhere. Unfortunately the Polar Bear Studbook isn't online.

Thank you,

3. themightyshaw

themightyshaw Member

Polar Bear-

Great post! your words say it all. The Keepers at the SFZOO are great! The amount of senior residents is a testament to the care they get. Sure the grottos could use some vegetation landscaping, but care is foremost.

To those who say 27 and 29 year old bears aren't that high in the age range, don't really know what they are talking about. The bears that were 41 and 37 are grand isolated cases. Bravo for them, their care and their genetics! I certainly hope that we have our Ulu and Pike for that long!

4. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

themightyshaw, I do not remember where I heard the polar bear information, but I vaguely recall reading an article about a death of a polar bear somewhere else that may have stated the fact.

5. themightyshaw

themightyshaw Member

Yes, it was in an article about our sweet Andy bear. Id just like to confirm it with documented stats.

thank you for the reply.

6. Eagle

Eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Where did the mountain tapirs go?

7. themightyshaw

themightyshaw Member

They were on loan from the Los Angeles Zoo and went back there.

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I have some questions about the layout of the San Francisco Zoo, as I visited in May of 2006 and I've recently been studying the current map posted on the zoo's website. Other than the 2007 addition of Grizzly Gulch the zoo has not added a single other major exhibit during the past 5 years. I can remember seeing the ocelots, snow leopards and fishing cats in the Feline Conservation Center, but is that area simply off-exhibit now or has it been demolished? Also, in 2006 there were 7 hoofstock paddocks to the right of the Lion House and between the Bear Pits. Now the only exhibit listed there, other than the bald eagle island, is the warthog enclosure. What happened to the other 6 paddocks? Were they demolished? Are they sitting empty? Are they actually occupied and the zoo is simply not listing the animals on their website's map? Is San Francisco yet another zoo (along with San Diego, Oklahoma City, Denver, etc) that seems to be phasing out many species of hoofstock?

9. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Feline Conservation Center is still there but is now blocked off to public access; several of the hoofstock yards are off-limits now as well, although I do not know if they are still occupied; the last time I was there, last summer, I think I spotted a blackbuck in one of the yards which is still viewable from a small area near the Lion House. The eland yard is still open to viewing, next to the black rhinoceros exhibit. I'm not sure if hoofstock were ever that extensive at this zoo, but yes I think they are following the trend! Interesting that the best exhibit at this zoo is the African Savanna, mostly featuring hoofstock. Back in the 90's I remember there was a large yard for bison that is long gone.

10. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think a more accurate statement is that the "San Francisco zoo....is phasing out." Period.

The small cat area was taken off of public view in part because the pathway leading to it did not meet current legal standards for accessibility (under the infamous ADA legislation), and the zoo was sued by "advocates for the disabled". It was cheaper to close than to fix, and most of the cats were sent elsewhere. But of course when the complex was originally conceived, it was to be an off-exhibit facility to allow development of new medium size cat exhibits, but that never happened and the zoo was pressured to open the utilitarian mesh cage complex instead.

There are still a few random animals in the chain link paddocks you mention, but they seem to be random relics that change regularly

11. reduakari

In the 60s and 70s, these hoof stock yards housed--among other species--musk ox, saiga (!!!!), zebra, okapi, sable, eland, aoudad, black rhino, cheetah, red kangaroo, koala, Asiatic water buffalo and the big central meadow had large mixed herds of Axis deer, blackbuck with sarus cranes.

Sigh......

12. leo811

leo811 Well-Known Member

@snowleopard - There have been several renovations since, which I consider more important than entirely new exhibits. Most recently, the Sea lion pool to house two rescued seals. In the past couple years, the Hippo area, which is now housing a new Hippo and the old Elephant area which is housing the Black Rhinos. The Tropical Aviary work was split and I think they plan a phase two, which will cover the outside area. I actually think money could be better spent since it is set to house Squirrel Monkeys and Capybara, both which already have places to live. The new Master Plan includes four children's playgrounds (hello, this is an animal park!) and a complete new North American area. Again I think before spending money to build anything new, other exhibits need some updating. ... As someone else said, the Feline Conservation Center was closed unfortunately, at a time that coincided with the Tiger event. Personally in light of that although I miss that area as the enclosures were very nice, I think they way humans misbehave and the lack of a full time guard up there, its better this way. Sadly yes the Ocelots were all moved. Total of six, two sets of boy babies, and their parents. each pair were transferred together. The Snow Leopards and Fishing Cats are all down in the Big Cat area. Of the Fishing Cats that did live at the FCC, three siblings, only one remains, but has a mate now and is set for breeding via the SSP. As well her siblings, a male and a female, both went to other Zoo's on breeding recommendations as well. ... UG the hoofstock area. This has been a problem for me for over a year. I'm not sure about seven paddocks, but there are four that are of concern to me. (Could you post a photo of the old map?) So, the story goes, after moving the Black Rhinos who lived at the corner of what I call hoofstock alley, the Zoo claims people complained there was alot of walking and no animals. So, they started closing paths! The Zoo also claimed there were no animals on any of the closed paths. Lies. One the path between the Cats and Bears, lives a Muntjac, a Blackbuck and the Dukiers. After that closure none were visible. It is bad for the Blackbuck in my opinion (and I've been told by Keepers) because he likes the interaction with people. Pokemon, was imprinted so much on humans that he can't be in with others, but does like visitors. Now he see's only the Keepers when they go to care for him. Otherwise he is without company. Last year a second baby Dukier was born. The Director Tanya Peterson, verbally told the Joint Zoo Committee the news and followed it up by saying something like 'Due to seclusive nature he's hard to see but we hope he is visible soon,...' To whom? No one can go down the path! More untruths. About five months ago they went and took the mother dukier away from her family and put her on the Savannah. I have only seen her once and that was running into the barn near closing time. I have heard she otherwise hides in one area. Horrible. She is the only one of her kind there. They claim its so she can't breed again. Not sure why she can't be on birth control, instead of alone. The other path that is closed borders the opposite side of the Dukiers and a huge meadow where Papa (Munt)jac lives. He was living with an older female Black Buck who has since passed. You can view a very small portion of this enclosure from the steps above the Lion Fountain. Other than that is blocked off. ... The hoofstock that you can view are on the Savannah, Kudu and Oryx and poor lone Lily the mama Dukier. I actually think they put her there to represent Dukiers more than their breeding reasoning, but that's just my opinion. I miss visiting Pokemon the most. The last time I was able to get a Docent to take me back to see him, he was up his hill and saw me and I said, "Hi Pokemon!" and he ran to the fence. I stood there for as long as I could, (I was on someone else's time). I felt bad to leave as he just stood there wanting company. There is no reason that area has to be blocked off. Boarding can be put up over the old Rhino area and a sign saying something about visit our Rhinos in their new home... but the SFZOO has some curious decision makers.

13. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Leo, from your post above it is quite evident that you have never worked in a zoo and have little understanding of how a zoo operates.

14. reduakari

Or, more broadly, how the world works....

15. leo811

leo811 Well-Known Member

No I have never worked in a Zoo. I was answering the question regarding the layout. Anything else is my opinion as a Visitor. I wasn't aware that these forums were for Zoo employees only and what was written need to be based on "how a Zoo operates" versus how its viewed by a Visitor, eg. one of the many who keep it operating.

16. leo811

leo811 Well-Known Member

And that has what to do with my outline of the Zoo layout and my opinion of some things that go on?

17. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

18. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Does the San Francisco Zoo still display Aye-aye? I saw them in a nocturnal habitat on my last visit there in 2002. I also remember seeing Musk-Ox there during my 1980 visit, but don't recall seeing them in 2002. When were they last exhibited there?

19. polar bear

polar bear Well-Known Member

The Aye Aye are still there in a nocturnal exhibit. However, you can only go through with a zoo employee who takes small groups for short periods of time. I found it very frustrating since we had to leave not that long after my eyes became accustomed to the dark. The exhibit is only open Wednesday through Sunday.

I don't know when the Musk Ox were last exhibited.

20. DeydraOZ

DeydraOZ Well-Known Member

Does SF Zoo has ground hornbills? I know they have a great hornbill but recently saw that they had a ground hornbill enrichment scheduled. Went there a year and a half ago and did not see the ground hornbills.