Join our zoo community

San Francisco Zoo San Francisco Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by Falcosparverius, 18 Jan 2014.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The first link clearly looks like a student project. Kind of a fun "what if" if not a little underwhelming in collection, but certainly not an actual design considered by the zoo. The second link however appears to be an actual concept the zoo explored at one time, but more than likely not an active consideration at this time.

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Did you get to meet Robin Williams at the howler monkey naming ceremony, Buldeo?

4. Chimpangeek

Chimpangeek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A massive portion of the zoo's eastern and southern regions are desolate with no or abandoned exhibits. The Zoo doesn't need to build in the parking lot.

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Chimpangeek

Updates:
    -The Zoo is adding two Guanaco, two Agouti and a male Capybara to the Puente al Sur exhibit, and sending away one of the Anteaters.
    -The Zoo is sending the remaining Aye-Ayes to a Zoo in Germany, and likely replacing them with a different nocturnal species.
    -The female Siamang is being transferred

8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

No, the zoo doesn't announce these things. You show up one day and there's a sign; that was swiped from their Facebook page. I thought it was amusing a the time, because I had just read that he had checked himself back into rehab. Again. For, like, the four hundredth time.

Clown shoes. Complete and total clown shoes. One of the few things that made the zoo unique is getting shut down and sent away? Yeah, I can see it now -- bats in the Primate Discovery Center.

Please tell me again why the SF Zoo thinks its membership prices should be on par with San Diego & Los Angeles?

9. DavidBrown

RIP Robin Williams.

10. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

I'd recently heard the news. Strange how you guys were just talking about him.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The arrival of 2 wolverines was thanks in no undue part to the participation of Columbus Zoo in the Wolverine EEP from overseas, hence them sending the current pair up to SF Zoo.

It is thus not unsurprising that the lone female aye aye - for which there is some demand in Europe - and thanks to global management of aye aye by Duke Uni (the deal right now is that 5 aye ayes will leave for European zoos to boost the captive breeding population there) was recently sent overseas to Frankfurt Zoo.

First of all, we should be grateful that the trans-Atlantic cooperation in terms of conservation breeding and animal exchanges is finally getting a little bit more robust (although quite a few issues remain hoof stock wise, primarily due to US demands …). To me that is a good thing!

Secondly, … @Buldeo … I hear and agree with your frustration / exasperation of the lack of vision at SF Zoo to develop itself and come away from that media PR tiger abyss story … with good new major animal exhibitry and not the current calm before the storm … pamper and stale mate.

12. Chimpangeek

The point of having Aye-ayes was to breed them, which the zoo did... They weren't a big draw for visitors, because the Zoo was only doing limited tours (15 per group) for three hours of the day, because they didn't want to disturb them. The exhibit is a bit small for two Aye-aye, nevermind 4... They're also very expensive to keep, because they chew through everything and need constant supervision. I've heard talk however, that the Zoo will replace them with a different nocturnal species. Owl Monkeys, Tarsiers, mouse lemurs, Pottos, Bush babies or Lorises.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, they did breed the aye ayes.

I am afraid the Director/Board members only look at financials and not conservation value et cetera.

14. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

There's so much wrong with the Primate Discovery Center that it's difficult to know where to begin. Let's start with the aye-ayes just to stay focused.

An animal shouldn't have to be a "big draw" to be worth keeping around. The big cats spend all day sleeping and eat a metric tonne of meat; let's dump them and install a 4D theatre. It'll go over like gangbusters. I can watch my own house cat sleep all day.

The building the aye-ayes were homed in -- the actual "discovery center" -- is poorly utilized. If memory serves, and it should, the entire second floor is empty. A relatively quick fix would have involved removing the gift shop*, blowing out that wall, and expanding the exhibit upward. You could even put in a second viewing platform.

* - A zoo the size of SF does not need a second, permanent gift shop. Roll out a gift cart or two when crowds pick up.

While I would like to see any of the species you've mentioned, let's use some money to get those poor black and white colobus monkeys out of their prison cell. After that, let's redesign the whole complex to be... better. It has the potential. Sporting venues get updated sooner than the Primate Discovery Center.

Well, I did receive a flyer in the mail yesterday(?) about the "official groundbreaking ceremonies" for the Kauret-Taube South American Tropical Rainforest and Aviary ver. 3.0.

So, I guess that's something. Even if it really does nothing to address the zoo's longstanding issues.

Another year, another giraffe calf! The zoo is building up a pretty impressive herd. It's going to be time to ship a few off to other zoos or expand that savanna.

17. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. Chimpangeek

The Zoo just acquired 2 Crowned Lemur.
    The Zoo now exhibits 9 species/subspecies of Lemur:

Ring Tailed (3.3)
    Red Ruffed (5.0)
    Black & White Ruffed (5.0)
    Black (1.0), Blue-eyed Black (1.0)
    Red Bellied (1.1)
    Red-fronted Brown (1.1)
    Crowned (2.0)
    Aye-Ayes (1.1)

19. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty cool! I've only ever seen Ring Tailed, Red Ruffed (both at Phx Zoo and others), Black & White Ruffed (not entirely sure, can't remember where I saw them) and Blue-eyed Black (LA Zoo). I'm hoping to go there this next summer because Fresno Chaffee should be opening their new Africa exhibit.

20. DavidBrown

Didn't you say that the aye-ayes were gone, or has that not happened yet?