Join our zoo community

San Francisco Zoo San Francisco Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by Hipporex, 2 Jan 2019.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

I went to the SF Zoo yesterday so I have some zoo news (I'm sorry if some of this stuff has already been said):
    • The zoo has completely gotten rid of its monkey cages to make way for the Madagascar exhibit: Construction for new Madagascar exhibit | ZooChat
    • The François’ langurs (Trachypithecus francoisi) now live in four small cages by the "Patas Lawn": New François' langur exhibits | ZooChat. I'm not a huge fan of the design or size but they're certainly functional as the monkeys ran around the two they had access using all of the climbing structures
    • "Komodo Alley" is now "California Conservation Corridor" and includes three terrariums: one housing a San Francisco garter snake (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia) and a species of damselfly (I can't remember the species), one containing many California red-legged frog (Rana draytonii) (California red-legged frogs | ZooChat), and the last one containing three western pond turtles (Actinemys marmorata).
    • The aviary next to the CCC now contains two large hornbills (I can't remember what species).
    • The southern pudu (Pudu puda) was now where to be found.
    • The capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris) where no where to be found.
    • The Prevost's squirrel (Callosciurus prevostii) was no were to be found, however its sign was still up.
    • Speaking of the Prevost's squirrel, the exhibit it is or was now contains a female Spix's guan (Penelope jacquacu), and according to the zoo sign, she is the only individual in North America. The exhibit also contains Australian laughing kookaburras (Dacelo novaeguineae) and South American scarlet ibises (Eudocimus ruber), which I though was an unusual mix.

Kifaru Bwana, Wyman and Jambo like this.
  2. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I think the damselfly species is Ischnura gemina

What is supposed to be in the new Madagascar exhibit?

Last edited: 2 Jan 2019
  3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

Fossa I know for sure but other than that I think they may just be expanding the already massive lemur habitat.

Wyman and Jambo like this.
  4. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member

Wyman, Kifaru Bwana and Hipporex like this.
  5. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member

Hipporex and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Big Daddy, the Komodo dragon has passed away :(.

7. Wyman

Wyman Well-Known Member

At least FALKOR (his actual name) lived out his final days in a much better environment than the sewage drain that was his former habitat.

Buldeo and TheEthiopianWolf03 like this.
  8. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

There's some more information in that video the zoo has on a loop in the old aye-aye exhibit. You'll have to sit through it a couple of times to get any real detail (as it goes by quickly), but none of these Madagascar specific updates engender any real excitement. That species list is also underwhelming. No crocodiles; no blue or helmet vanga*; no aye-aye. It has the outward appearance of collecting more surplus animals.

* - I got to see a helmet vanga in Marojejy as it whizzed by at a million miles an hour. Only the blue bill allowed me to identify it, and I'd like to see another close up.

Agreed. That fish tank thing was terrible. It's almost as bad as calling him "Big Daddy".

Wyman likes this.