Join our zoo community

San Francisco Zoo San Francisco Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by Hipporex, 2 Jan 2019.

1. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Depends on who you ask honestly. Some people say only US and Canada, others include Mexico, and some go all the way to Panama and include the Caribbean. Personally I've found most people don't consider anything south of Mexico or in the Caribbean as "North America."

2. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It appears that it depends on if you are talking about politics or geography. Geographically, Central America is most definitely a part of the North American continent.

Is Central America Considered North America?

Not that it really should be something worth debating here lol.

AmbikaFan, Goura, Great Argus and 2 others like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some things are and have been clear a long while: Central America and Carribean are part of the North American subcontinent.

BTW: If you care and are interested just also look at the geological record and sea floor research relating to Bahama's, Cayman islands, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the like. When sea levels where significantly lower in glacial eras past, much of it was connected landwise.

Enough of this technicality on landbase masses, back to SF Zoo zoo news thanks.

4. Chimpangeek

Chimpangeek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, I was surprised by how fast the introduction process went as well. It only took about 3 weeks. He spends a lot of time following Cobby around, grooming him and Maggie. Minnie’s taken a while to get used to him. The mellow nature of a he SF zoo trio + their age made Qadeer a very good fit for the troop

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. Anteaterman

Anteaterman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo seems to have opened the road from Cat Kingdom to Bear Country, and is housing "Therapy Horses" (Not exactly sure what those are) in one of the two large hoofed animal exhibits (not the one that housed Blackbuck in the past). I've gotten all of this information from the zoo map on the website, so I'm not sure how accurate all of this information is.

Hipporex and StoppableSan like this.
  6. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I had read something in the past year that the zoo was opening an exhibit called "American Savanna Rescue Horses".

Anteaterman and StoppableSan like this.
  7. Chimpangeek

That idea seems to be on hold for some reason. I’m guessing that part of the reason may be because the zoo is concerned about the nearby construction that’s started on the snow leopard/ small cat area expansion. The yard being used was formerly occupied by Nyala and Duiker.

StoppableSan and Anteaterman like this.
  8. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

“Rolls eyes into back of head”

StoppableSan and zoomaniac like this.
  9. Chimpangeek

The Zoo's three new chimps from Lowry Park Zoo Nick, Abby & Twiggy are already being introduced. When I was at the zoo this week, the two new females were in the new outdoor yard with Minnie and Maggie. Maggie was sitting between the new girls and grooming them.
    The new male was in the indoor exhibit with Cobby & Gombus/Qadeer, appearing very at ease with Cobby & Qadeer. Apparently the introduction of the new male was very easy and peaceful. In the afternoon their appeared to be more tension between the females when Cobby was given visual access to them in the indoor exhibit.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  11. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited last week and observed two major construction projects, both scheduled to open in 2020. One is an expanded snow leopard exhibit adjacent to the current exhibit. The other is a Madagascar exhibit at the entrance to the current lemur/primate exhibits.

The zoo no longer offers printed maps; I was told to snap a photo of the large map inside the entrance. For a discussion on this trend (and the negative feelings some of us have towards it), view this thread: Zoos in Europe vs USA

12. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  13. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm going this Sunday. I plan on...
    • making a species list
    • photographing the newish orangutan habitat
    • photographing the current state of the Madagascar exhibit
    • photographing a few other exhibits not yet in the gallery
    Any other information or pictures people would like to hear/see

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any news on a Phase II of the Great Ape Passage? (One for the orangs, as they rotate with the chimps in that one yard or are confined to the trails)

Hipporex likes this.
  15. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Can you get exhibit pictures of the little California building?

Hipporex likes this.
  16. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Particularly interested in what species are currently in the tropical house and the bird string.

Hipporex likes this.
  17. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can you get pictures of the snow leopard exhibit expansion construction?

Hipporex likes this.
  18. Hipporex

I'll see what I can find out.
    Can do.
    I'll make sure to note those for the species list.
    I'll take an updated picture but Arizona Docent has already uploaded this picture (from October): snow leopard expansion (2020) - ZooChat.

Falcosparverius and Great Argus like this.
  19. Hipporex

• I made the species list: San Francisco Zoo Species List (Dec. 2019) [San Francisco Zoo]
    • I didn't photograph the "newish orangutan habitat" because their isn't one.
    • I didn't photograph the "the current state of the Madagascar exhibit" because it's at the current state it was last December: just a hole in the ground.
    • I will upload some photographs/videos later today.
    • @Wyman, The zoo still only has the one great ape exhibit. The two species rotate although it appears chimps are in the habitat most of the time. When the chimps are in the habitat, the only outside access the orangutans have are the tubes, which I saw them in twice. Apparently the orangutans only just were allowed into the exhibit for the first time a week or so ago. Meaning they'e been stuck in the tubes since their arrival. I saw no sign of construction on a second habitat for the orangutans. I personally am really not happy with this.
    • @TheEthiopianWolf03, I took photos of the CCC and will upload them later today.
    • @Great Argus, The answers to your question can be found on the species list.
    • @Falcosparverius, I didn't take a picture of the snow leopard expansion because, like the Madagascar project, it's just a hole in the ground.
    • Finally, @WanderingDragon, I attempted to have your questions finally answered but alas the docent near the snow leopard exhibit didn't know the answers to any of them

Last edited: 29 Dec 2019