Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Sanford's Childrens Zoo complex, opening 2021

Discussion in 'United States' started by jayjds2, 13 Jan 2018.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that is definitely quite odd!

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well I guess that the zoo has to make money some way even if it gets government funding.

While I’m 100% opposed to Children’s zoos costing extra, in St. Louis’s case the zoo is free so I find it hard to complain about a $4 fee.

mweb08 likes this.
  3. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not sure if anyone is having this problemThe website for the San Diego Zoos new children zoo no longer works under the Fund exhibits page on the San Diego Zooor the San Diego Zoo Safari Parks website.

4. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Children's Zoo will be closing Feb. 4th, 2019. I will be sad to see the hummingbird enclosure gone. I can't wait to see what the new Children's Zoo will bring us.

Anniella and nczoofan like this.
  5. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, indeed....a hidden gem.......I wonder how easy it will be to view hummingbirds in a new high profile exhibit....with kids everywhere.

So glad I visited in 2018 and got to spend some quality time in the old house before it goes.

Anniella, betsy and nczoofan like this.
  6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anybody else thinks that this new project does not measure up to expectations? I understand the obsession with avoiding lawsuits and all, but having no exhibit to actually touch and pet animals is disappointing. As is a stream with artificial fish, whatever these will be. And does one really need to go to San Diego zoo to see a cutoff beehive? I had seen one in my local nature centre, put casually into the wall of a bird hide.

I hoped for something matching Chinese zoos - a chance to get close with large and rare wild animals - only done with respect to animal welfare. A child in China can feed a brown bear, touch a red panda or make a selfie sitting on a walrus. The effect on making children fascinated with wildlife is obvious. A zoo like San Diego could do similar things without compromising welfare of animals or safety of people.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2019
  7. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would have to weigh in that actually touching a few critters
    be they goats, or guinea pigs or such is one of the two primary reasons
    for a childrens zoo. Kinda disappointing though I'm sure I will somehow manage. :)

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

'The effect on making children fascinated with wildlife is obvious' - having visited a lot of Chinese zoos I'm not sure this is true at all. Indeed, a lot of the increased interaction opportunities at Chinese zoos are a result of a lack of awareness or consideration of animal welfare issues; if anything I think this problem is reinforced not reduced by zoos here.

14556 likes this.
  9. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Will the Skyfari remain open during construction? I know one of the bases is in the Children's zoo.

10. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The station is actually outside of the children's zoo, but a large area around the children's zoo is also being redeveloped. I would be surprised if they shut it down, as it is a major way to move people across the zoo.

11. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All of those examples are pretty poor in terms of animal welfare. Probably not what San Diego wants.

14556 and pachyderm pro like this.
  12. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I will also be extremely sad to see the Hummingbird exhibit gone, it was the one exhibit I missed when I went to the zoo and from what I heard it was one of the hidden gems of the zoo.

Anniella, betsy and nczoofan like this.
  13. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anybody knows in which month the Hummingbird Aviary is scheduled to reopen next year?

14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have not announced anything about specific opening dates beyond projected years. I would not expect any specific announcements until construction is in the end stages and they know that it is ready to go. Sometimes even when things are announced they get delayed. Africa Rocks was delayed for many months beyond the initially announced opening.

betsy, AWP and StoppableSan like this.