Join our zoo community

Santiago Zoo Santiago Zoo

Discussion in 'Chile' started by vogelcommando, 27 Apr 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

2. vogelcommando

3. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Such terrible news. A real shame.

4. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member

Here is a brief review of Santiago zoo which i visited recently. The official name is Zoologico Nacional de Chile. It was founded in 1925. The zoo is located on cerro San Cristobal. You reach the zoo by a cable car that goes up the hill.On clear days the views can be quite nice. The zoo is small, but has many native species, since it is the national zoo of Chile. Some parts are very outdated.
    After leaving tha cable car, the first enclousures are ugly cages for wolves, white tiger and pumas. After is a nice brand new exhibit for 2 red pandas. The enclousure where the lion tragedy occured (see above) has been rebuilt,now it has overhead netting and the moat has been repaced by large glass panels. New lions have not yet arrived.
    There is a pool for black necked and coscoroba swans. There is a varied primate collection in adequate cages, lar gibbon,2 species of spider monkeys, brown capuchins, patas monkeys, black and white ruffled lemurs and common marmosets. Hamadryas baboons and chimpanzees have large updated enclousures. Various small mammal exhibits which are reasonable in size hold meerkats, african porcupines, an ocelot, and very nice group of active lesser grisons. There are llamas, guanacos and vicuna, as well as bactrian camels. This zoo has two breeding groups of pudu, which are native to Chile. One is with rhea, also native to Chile. There was a single bongo, which is very unusual in South America. Tango the polar bear has died, and only a brown bear lived in a adequate but small exhibit. 2 african elephants live in a tiny space, quite bad. Also 3 reticulated giraffes also have a very small pen.
    The bird collection in Santiago zoo is interesting. Many chilean species such as humboldt penguins, chilean flamingos, upland geese, various parrots and conures native to Chile. A large aviary holds chilean blue eagle and andean condors. There is large free flight aviary with more chilean species and some exotics like peafowl and egyptian ibis.
    There is a small reptile house with iguanas and a python, among others. A breeding group of yellow footed tortoise where there.What is notable at Santiago zoo is the part for amphibians. There is an entire section for them, which holds the endangered chilean water toad and a notable area for the small endangered darwin´s frog. Many thanks to the San Antonio zoo for assistance in breeding projects and exhibits for amphibians at Santiago zoo.
    There is a small aquarium in one of Santiago´s parks, but not really notable. However, the National Natural History Museum in Quinta Normal park has some very interesting exhibits and collections and should be visited.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2016
    Brum likes this.
  5. vogelcommando

Thank you very much for this review carlos55, esp. because so little information about South American zoos is placed on ZooChat ! Also the photos you placed in the Santiago Zoo Gallery are very intresting !

LaughingDove likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member

I can still hit myself for not having visited the zoo when I was in Santiago a decade or so back (unfortunately with a booked travel party with no interest in zoo visits). This despite the fact that I KNEW the zoo was then already leading and very active within ALPZA!!!

7. carlos55

Yes, Santiago zoo has an amazing view on Cerro San Cristobal and does really great work with native chilean species. If only the elephants, giraffes and white tigers were moved. They really do not belong there. The chimps can stay, because the exhibit is OK. Despite the lion killing scandal there is no plan to close the Santiago zoo similar to what is happening with the Buenos Aires zoo. Perhaps also because Chile is now more stable politically than Argentina-

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. carlos55

9. carlos55

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. carlos55

I visited Santiago zoo on Palm Sunday. Polar bear Tango (or was it Taco) died 3 years ago. His former enclousure has been readapted for the two benal tigers, one white and normal colored. The enclousure covers part of the hill, and the bottom part has a glass front. I would have liked andean bears here, but the enclousure is really quite nice with natural vegation repacing the ugly concrete pen where the polar bear lived. The former tiger enclousure now holds a pair of jaguar that came from the Berlin Tierpark. Another new arrival is a female bongo that will be introduced to the male bongo.
    Among the animals that have bred recently are darwin´s rhea, chilean flamingos, humboldt´s ´penguins, lar gibbon, brown capuchin, hamadryas baboon, common marmoset, ring tail lemur,chilean pudu,guanaco, styke´s red panda and the darwin´s frog. The juvenile reticulated giraffe has already been moved to another collection.
    According to the information the on the zoo map the Zoologico Nacional will continue to build new exhibits in the future. It is nice to see that the chilean government continues to support its national zoo in contrast to how in Argentina the Buenos Aires zoo languishes in uncertainty because of political turmoil.
    New photos on the gallery of course.

Last edited: 22 Apr 2017
    zooboy28, devilfish and Brum like this.
  11. carlos55

Last edited: 10 Jun 2017
    zooboy28 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  12. carlos55

Interesting how much the kolokolo and kodkod rescued cubs in CHilean zoos look like little pumas. I really look forward to see these lovely felines go on exhibit in the future.

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Moderator Staff Member

Is this correct? They will be exhibiting a guigna (formerly known as kodkod) and a pampas cat? :eek:

Hmmm, I wonder how much flights are from Arizona to Chile???

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

but shouldn't you already be booked for Bangladesh for marbled cat??

15. Arizona Docent

Whaaaat??? Where is this marbled cat?!!! (You can send me a Private Conversation to avoid derailing the Santiago thread).

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

Marbled Cats in Zoos

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. carlos55

Both leopardus guigna and leopardus colocolo orphaned cubs were rescued from the 2017 january forest fires in Chile by Buin and Santiago zoos. It Was mentioned on CHilean press and TV that the juvenile felines had lost their habitats and could not be released back to the wild. AD there aré also pictures of mo re rescued felines on the Buin zoo forum. There is still no date for the juvenile felines to go public.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2017
  18. Kifaru Bwana

I would hope they will decide to start a captive-breeding project on both species with these non release-ables and support with these a future in situ recovery effort.

19. Arizona Docent

We can hope, but I doubt it. The animals were only taken into captivity due to be orphaned as cubs. Unless a similar situation happens (with orphans of opposite sex), there is little justification for taking cats from the wild.

20. Kifaru Bwana

@AD, I have never suggested that.

It would only be when more Andean small felids would become available and turn out to be unreleasables. Hence, my … wish list.