Join our zoo community

Saola conservation

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Hix, 9 Jul 2012.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Nothing new, but some nice pictures.

:p

Hix

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice video. Thanks for posting.

I wish that the zoo world could do something to promote saola conservation. In the absence of having the live animal in front of people I'm not sure how a zoo could get the animal attention - it seems unlikely that most people would sit still to watch a video.

Perhaps someone could put together some striking photos in large format and build a cool life-size model for some kind of traveling exhibit.

3. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know if in-situ captive breeding is under consideration as an option?

4. DavidBrown

I'm sure it would be if they knew how to reliably find and capture the animals, but people track them for years in the wild without actually seeing one.

There was one individual captured and put in a private zoo in Vietnam, but it only lived for a couple weeks.

5. Hix

If I recall correctly, it was discovered when a skull was seen for sale in a local market and a scientist realised it was something new. It took several months of searching before he eventually 'discovered' the animal.

Hix

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

very nice video. They are beautiful animals.

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, very interesting.

I think the large mammal species discovered before the Saola, in 1936 according to the video, but 1937 on wikipedia, was the Kouprey, another rare South-east Asian species, which has not been seen since 1983.

The largest mammal species discovered since the Saola appears to be the Giant Muntjac, discovered in 1994, in Vietnam. Indeed, its range even apparently overlaps with that of the saola! If they can still find large mammals in these rainforests, imagine what else is living there...

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe there may be some doubt as to whether the Kouprey is a genuine species or not. There is only one photo I know of depicting a captive one, in the Paris Zoo.

Hix- correct about Saola discovery- it was a set(s) of horns that led them to realise it was an 'undiscovered' species.

9. Chlidonias

the kouprey was described in 1937 (as Bos sauveli) but the type specimen was caught in 1936 by a Dr. Sauvel in Cambodia and sent to Vincennes Zoo (where it lived for five years or so, and is the one in the photograph Pertinax mentions). The species was it seems known to Europeans at least several years before 1936 though and was mentioned in various articles and books.

As Pertinax hints, there has always been a lot of debate about the taxonomic status of the kouprey with it swinging both ways (true species to hybrid)

With regards to the saola and giant muntjac, there are loads of new species that have been discovered in the Annamite Ranges in the last few decades, largely due to foreign zoologists only getting in there in the last few decades.

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Cheers for that info Pertinax & Chlidonias. I know wiki isn't the best source, but it does say that the current consensus is that kouprey are a real species, quoting both genetic and fossil evidence.

11. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Everyday at work i challenge myself to draw attention to lesser known species. however i usually have some kind of relative for the public to view (lord howe island stick insects while talking about phasmids for example). challenge accepted. tomorrow I will include saola in one of my talks.

Youd be surprised what impact a bit of passion can have on the the public. can have a much greater influence than interps.

12. Hix

Although not closely related, it looks similar to and may fill a similar ecological niche as the bongo.

Hix

13. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks. i was just about to do some research in to what species at the zoo might help get a message accross. bongo is perfect.

14. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Kouprey is a real species. The Mainland Banteng turns out to be a hybrid possessing the mtDNA of Bos sauveli. The original confusion of the Kouprey's status came from the original DNA study which only used mainland Banteng but not Javan. When the Javan mtDNA was sampled it was quite different from the Kouprey's. A classic example of nuclear swamping.

(currently writing a novel based on the Kouprey, so it's been on my mind a LOT lately)

15. DavidBrown

Excellent idea Jarkari. Thanks for taking up the challenge. The saolas seem like really magical animals. Hopefully we can help them not disappear.

16. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think anoa would be another good candidate.

17. Chlidonias

but there are no anoa in Australia

18. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well at least now I know how to pronounce saola

19. Chlidonias

it helps if you know it's a compound of two words, sao and la (and of course if you don't try to pronounce every vowel separately as English-speakers are wont to do)

20. Hix

LOL! Same here! At least I knew how to pronounce Vu Quang Ox!

Hix