Join our zoo community

Scottish Owl Centre Scottish owl centre news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 13 Apr 2015.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

News from the centre includes the hatching of 3 Ashy faced owl.
    Burrowing Owls moved into their new aviary.
    A pair of American Barred Owls are the only ones of their species in Scotland, and the female is now sitting in the nestbox incubating a clutch of eggs.
    New arrivals include a pair of Aharonis Eagle Owls and a Vermiculated Fishing Owl.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there yesterday (6/11/15) for the first time and was quite impressed. For a relatively small footprint they have managed to pack quite a lot in, yet most of the aviaries are of a good size and quality. I particularly liked the indoor Rainforest Realm, which I haven't seen at any other owl collection. I also liked the fact that the enclosures made it possible for me to get some decent images of the birds, which is not always the case. It was a grey threatening to rain day and I didn't have long to spend there as I had to get back up to Inverness, so I had to decline an invite to the flying display, although I think I would have been the only visitor there!

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Worth noting that the collection has since received 1,0 genetically-proven Magellan's Owl from a private breeder - still the only individuals in a public collection in Europe, as all other "Magellans" displayed within Europe are in fact misidentified Southern Horned Owl.

When I visited some months ago, I *was* the only visitor present for the first flying display, and was one of only 3 or 4 visitors at the second display :p

5. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A pair of Barking Owls arrived today from Hamerton.

Dylan, kiang, Benosaurus and 2 others like this.
  6. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know, what an excellent addition. This is the sibling pair hatched in 2020.

7. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

kiang and Kalaw like this.