Join our zoo community

Sea snakes of Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by vogelcommando, 2 Oct 2014.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

2. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Vaguely related but here is a slightly modified copy and paste of my post in the Blue Planet thread (Denmark forum section) where someone asked about the status of sea snakes in Australian aquariums:

Unless there are some in Asian aquariums, I think Blue Planet, the Reef HQ (Australia) and AQWA (Australia) are the only in the world with Aipysurus sea snakes on public display today. All have olive sea snake Aipysurus laevis. Melbourne had sea snakes a few years ago but I think the last species they kept was Lapemis (Hydrophis) not Aipysurus. Lapemis (Hydrophis) is still kept at Reef HQ where mixed with the olives.
    Laticauda sea kraits are kept relatively few places but are still the most common sea snakes in public aquaria around the world. True sea snakes are much rarer than sea kraits – at least in North America and Europe. I am not sure Berlin has the annulated sea snake Hydrophis (Leioselasma) cyanocincta listed on Zootierliste anymore. Perhaps it is off-show again with only Laticauda on display?
    One of the world's leading authorities on sea snakes is Arne Redsted Rasmussen from Denmark. He is involved in research together with the Blue Planet

Here is a video of the sea snake tank at Reef HQ: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TK0eimL1wc
    Brownish with cinnamon-colored head=Aipysurus laevis, whitish with vague bands=Lapemis (aka Hydrophis) hardwickii.

If someone knows of more Australian aquariums or zoos with true sea snakes (not sea kraits) it would be interesting to hear about it.