Join our zoo community

Search launched for 25 missing species

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DavidBrown, 19 Apr 2017.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

This is absolutely brilliant. I'm really looking forward to seeing what these expeditions yield. Robin Moore was also responsible for the 2010 'Search for Lost Frogs' and in his book he outlines part of the selection process for potential candidates. By the look of things it seems they have quite a good balance of taxa from interesting areas around the world, and the commentsI've seen seem optimistic about re-discovering other 'lost' taxa too, as well as discovering new ones.

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agree with devilfish : sounds really intresting and exiting ! Hopefully they will have a 100 % succes-rate !

4. drill

drill Well-Known Member

It's a pity they are not looking for thylacines or ivory billed woodpeckers though.

5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I thought people were already looking for Pink-headed Duck. I know I read an article a while back about a man who's basically devoted his life to it.

6. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I feel like enough people have wasted their time looking for thylacines, which are quite conclusively extinct. Glad to see some much lesser-known organisms getting funded search efforts, like the New Zealand greater short-tailed bat and the Syr Darya sturgeon.

I found the Galapagos tortoise subspecies very surprising. There is a well-staffed research station in the Galapagos; how has nobody bothered to visit that island and check for living tortoises in the last century?

7. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Erm, Fernandina has been well-surveyed and can even be visited by tourists. It's not even clear the subspecies existed, so I've no idea why anybody thinks it stands a chance of surviving.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  8. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Sinu parakeet is quite a surprising choice as well. ProAves is in Colombia working a lot on their endangered parrots and they have experience with Pyrrhura species. They were unable to locate the species even though they have a good network on the ground.

9. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Isn't there some proof that they maybe stil living in Papua New Guinea and really the chances of them finding thylacines is far better than finding a seahorse with only one specimen found and a quail last seen in the 19th century. Thinking with a clear mind and being very pessimistic about their success, I believe 60% percent is the highest rate of success for this expedition.

10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

no, there are stories of thylacines in New Guinea - very far indeed from "proof". Re-finding the seahorse has a much higher chance of success than finding a thylacine, given that the thylacine is actually extinct.

Also, I'd say that if you think 60% may be found, then that puts you well above pessimistic.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've always suspected that the sole known individual may have been a hybrid between two known species, which was translocated to Fernandina by sailors at some point prior to being rediscovered and killed.

12. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, I'm similarly sceptical.

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

16. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've seen this news elsewhere on the site, but thought I would put it here as well because of its links to the project.

An amateur naturalist in West Papua has seen and photographed an animal that is almost certainly the Wondiwoi tree kangaroo. It was last seen when the type specimen was collected in 1928.

The naturalist who rediscovered the animal wants to return to the region next year with experts and camera traps to find more of the animals and has plans to apply for permits to bring back faecal samples, which experts have already offered to DNA match with the 1928 skeleton currently housed in London's Natural History Museum.

The article itself is included here:
    Tree kangaroo thought to have gone extinct is captured on film for the first time in 90 YEARS – Brinkwire

The photos are included in this article:
    http://www.ladbible.com/news/animal...f-rare-tree-kangaroo-thought-extinct-20180819

17. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I love that LadBible has been linked to on ZooChat! :D

Swampy likes this.
  18. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well, Mongabay or any of the other more environmental news sources don't seem to have picked up the story for some reason

19. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good news, but my main question is whether there's a proper population or just a few individuals. Are they extremely rare or do they live in a barely studied area?

20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would think both.