Join our zoo community

Search launched for 25 missing species

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DavidBrown, 19 Apr 2017.

1. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

When I read the reassessment and the papers it cited, it said the clouded leopards in Taiwan were likely to be the same subspecies as those in mainland China and so mainland individuals could be introduced and still be taxonomically appropriate. I don't remember any of them claiming that the original population was introduced, though.

Funny that this happened not long after a Zanzibar leopard was confirmed as well... it's a good time to find long-lost island cats, it seems!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

It's hard to conceive of a mechanism by which they would have been introduced, to be honest.

ThylacineAlive and Coelacanth18 like this.
  3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm with @FunkyGibbon on this. It's possible, but I'd like to know how this could have happened. Additionally, aren't the Formosan animals supposed to be significantly distinct morphologically?

~Thylo

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Oh, I agree entirely with both of you :p was just raising this as a possible point, but checking the paper again it doesn't mention human introduction, merely that the ssp was described from a trade skin and that the unique features of this skin (an unusually short tail) may have been individual variation.

That said, I definitely disagree with the claim in the paper that both the Iriomote Cat and the Philippine populations of leopard cat are human introductions, given the paper itself contradicts the second point in places (claiming the Palawan is native and the Visayan introduced at one point, and claiming the reverse elsewhere)

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most of that felid taxonomy review was a mess... It's unfortunate we probably won't get more comprehensive studies into most of the taxa for quite some time. I think the Iriomote Cat, Zanzibar Leopard, and now perhaps Formosan Clouded Leopard need to be prioritized a bit now.

~Thylo

6. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Velvet pitcher plant found:)

7. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

Great news! I actually read this previously, as I check it regularly, but I forgot about this thread.

Ironically, last night I had a dream I saw some live pink-headed ducks of all things. Maybe it's a sign? I know the search a couple of years ago was unsuccessful, but there are reports the species has been seen alive in recent times.

Birdsage likes this.
  8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do hope your dream comes true :)

Birdsage, Anniella and birdsandbats like this.
  9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

10. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Anyone who has spent some time in Tasmania will tell you that there is are huge areas where virtually no-one lives. Much of the country is covered in thick undergrowth that is impossible to walk through and could easily hide a number of species. I have seen large wallabies simply disappear into scrub which is often only about 4 foot (1m20cm) high. Although no positive evidence exists that the Thylacine still lives, there have been many indications that it might yet survive. Lets not give up hope!

Goura likes this.
  11. Anniella

Well, that would be the second possibly extinct or extinct species I have rediscovered in my dreams. The first would be a species of moa I found high in the mountains of New Zealand, but the chances of that are much, much more slim. I wish though!

But yeah, I would definitely love for the duck to be rediscovered!

Birdsage likes this.
  12. Terry Thomas

Dream on! I would rather be positive than give up all hope, however, if you would prefer to take the negative view, it's all right with me!

13. Anniella

Don't get me wrong, I actually am fairly positive when it comes to conservation, and I personally think that the majority of species on that Top 25 Lost Species will be found alive sooner or later. Just look at what has already been rediscovered from that list in a few years, as well as the many lost amphibians that have been rediscovered: Bornean rainbow toads, Hula painted frogs, many species from the Western Ghats of India, rain frogs in Haiti, etc.

That said, there's a difference between most of the species on that list and a family of megafaunal flightless birds that, based on archaeological evidence, was wiped out within a century or two of human arrival by Maori settlers and has never been seen alive by people of European ancestry. I would love for there to be a surprise as great as surviving moas in the 21st Century, but I think the odds are very, very slim. To me, it's not negativity, it's just looking at things realistically. Many species that were thought extinct very well may survive in secrecy, but unfortunately there are undoubtedly many species that are gone.

Birdsage likes this.
  14. Terry Thomas

I do agree with you on the subject of large flightless birds, and of the larger mammal species. Their survival is, I believe, really too much to hope for. That said, there have been odd reports of some strange sightings now and then, from many parts of the world, including here in Australia. I remain hopeful!

Anniella likes this.
  15. Anniella

I remain hopeful, too. Even with the survival of moas being unlikely, I still think there are some relatively large animals that remain undiscovered or whose survival remains unknown. There almost certainly aren't any surviving glyptodonts, or steppe or woolly rhinos, or diprotodonts, or other fauna well over a tonne that has survived hidden since the Ice Ages, but let's look at the last few decades. Dingiso, which are a fairly large tree kangaroo, were not discovered by scientists until the 1990s in the mountains of New Guinea, and they're relatives of the Wondiwoi tree kangaroo, itself almost certainly rediscovered last year. Myanmar snub-nosed monkeys and kipunjis are both fairly large primates discovered by science this millennium. Saola, while extremely rare, were discovered in the 1990s along with some muntjac species in Southeast Asia. None of these animals are sauropods or mammoths, but they're still reasonably-sized animals. Even the Laotian rock rat, while not as big, is a fairly recent and evolutionarily unique discovery in the same general part of the world. I think there are still some surprises in the rainforests and mountainous regions in places like parts of South America, New Guinea, or the mountainous regions of Southern Asia.

So I look forward to seeing what other animals on that "Lost Species" list turn up alive, because it's not a question of if it will happen, but which ones and when.

Terry Thomas and ThylacineAlive like this.
  16. Terry Thomas

From an earlier quote I had the impression that you were very negative about finding long lost or new species. I am very pleased to say that I was obviously mistaken. Keep hoping!

Anniella likes this.
  17. Anniella

ThylacineAlive and birdsandbats like this.
  18. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

forrest galnte has now fond the shark the galapgos tortoies and alos the zansibar leopard. this is in about a year

19. Anniella

The "Lost Species" that have been found has definitely heated up within the last year. I wonder why the "Lost Species" website listed the tortoise as "Found" before genetic confirmation, but not the Wondiwoi tree kangaroo or the Pondicherry shark? Granted the former was based on a live caught specimen, while the kangaroo's rediscovery was based on a photograph, and the shark has just been announced, but I still find it odd.

20. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

yes that is a bit werid