Join our zoo community

SeaWorld Abu Dhabi planned

Discussion in 'United Arab Emirates' started by vogelcommando, 13 Dec 2016.

1. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Ok Im just wondering if SeaWorlds loosing one of their rare species or any of their key parts of the Sea Otter Surrogate program but that doesn’t seem like the case.

csartie likes this.
  2. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@csartie: Thanks for the link.
    I really wonder from where the SeaWorld Management will take (get) the walrusses. There are not that many left in western institutions, not to mention in the SeaWorld parks theirselves...:rolleyes::(

csartie likes this.
  4. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

I've been thinking that myself lately, with plans to house allot of species hardly in captivity like the above-mentioned Walrusses and of course the supposed prize jewel, dugongs.

5. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just realized the link above confirms puffins for the facility (if they haven't been already)

Kaleb and ChIkEn NuGrEt like this.
  6. Jonathan Petersson

Jonathan Petersson Well-Known Member

SeaWorld Abu Dhabi has received its first bottlenose dolphins from the SeaWorld Parks in the US on October 23, 2022:

0.1 Sparrow, 0.1 Reef, 0.1 Skye, 0.1 Eden, 0.1 Kona, and 0.1 Lola came from Discovery Cove

1.0 Tiger, 0.1 Naia, 1.0 Dexter, 1.0 Potter, 1.0 Roka, 0.1 Nala, 0.1 Tinker, 0.1 Delilah, and 0.1 Storm from SeaWorld Orlando

0.1 Alice, 0.1 Haven, and 1.0 Zip from SeaWorld San Antonio

0.1 Daphne, 0.1 Venus, 0.1 Kali, 0.1 Connie, 1.0 Bodie, and 1.0 Blue from SeaWorld San Diego

Now SeaWorld Abu Dhabi has 7.17 (24) Bottlenose Dolphins

Kaleb, Jambo, WhistlingKite24 and 4 others like this.
  7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wonder if they intend to breed these animals, which could have some implications for the global populations. I'm curious what their long term plans will be for moving animals between facilities.

Kaleb likes this.
  8. Jonathan Petersson

Jonathan Petersson Well-Known Member

SeaWorld Abu Dhabi is the main priority and future of SeaWorld at the moment. I suspect that one of the SeaWorld parks might be loosing Walrus so the Abu Dhabi park can have them. Now that most Americans have negative thoughts about SeaWorld, even though Blackfish is fake but that's a discussion for another time, they seem to be starting to phase out the American parks. By this I mean no new animal attractions or renovations will happen and instead most areas will be replaced with roller coasters. I less controversial animal to house in captivity :p. Meanwhile, Abu Dhabi will revive most of the animals and become a higher priority for SeaWorld as they can make more money from this park, and operate with less pushback from the "animal rights activists".

Kaleb, equidae and JVM like this.
  9. ZooGirlSD

ZooGirlSD Active Member 5+ year member

I visited Sea World San Diego this week, and there are no longer Northern Otters in their Wild Arctic exhibit- I was told that they had been transferred to Abu Dhabi for the new park.

10. LiSom

LiSom Well-Known Member

11. LiSom

LiSom Well-Known Member

12. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, there goes 'King Waldorf' ... :rolleyes:
    From what I recall, the walruses were quite a key component of Marineland Canada - and so their departure marks something of a significant time in the park's history.
    From what I see, the future of Marineland will be interesting to behold.

Kaleb and ifesbob like this.
  13. Westcoastperson

The SeaWorld Abu Dhabi website is now releasing information on the different sections one at a time. Currently we have information on the main area and the Abu Dhabi Ocean. Most interestingly the species for the Abu Dhabi Ocean are is: Dugongs, Sea Snake Spp, Sea Turtle Spp, bamboo shark Spp, and blue spotted ribontail ray. They are also doing pearl diving like SeaWorld Orlando and San Diego used to do.

Kaleb, matzek and Austin the Sengi like this.
  14. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

I still wonder how they sourced the dugongs. As far as I’m aware Sydney and Toba still have theirs…

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Dugongs are native to the area, and they also have a rescue facility at the Sea World for marine animals.

Kaleb, LiSom, csartie and 1 other person like this.
  16. Westcoastperson

The other themed areas have been released and go as follows:
    • Rocky Point - California Sea Lions, Harbor Seals, Asian Small Clawed Otter, Pelican, Cormorant. There will be pinniped presentations, feeding, and encounters. The pinniped exhibit will have controlled current and special lighting.
    • Microocean - just a children’s play area with small rides like the new area at SeaWorld San Diego.
    • Tropical Ocean - Bottlenose Dolphins, Macaws, misc. tropical birds (all the photos were toucans so most likely toucans or aracaris), flamingos, misc. tropical fish and rays (implied Cownose rays in sort of touch pool). There will be a dolphin presentation, a large rollercoaster, and something called “the rainforest”.
    • Arctic - Walruses, Puffins, Otters, Misc. Northern fish. The main focus points are the walrus exhibit, the research vessel, and a ride called hypersphere 360. The entire area will be themed around a research area and the Juhani Village.
    • Antarctic - King, Gentoo, Rockhopper, Chinstrap, Macaroni, and Adelie Penguins. There will also be a restaurant and kids play area.
    • Endless Ocean - Schooling Fish (Bigeye Shad and Indian Sardines), sharks (9 species, Zebra, Sand Tiger, Grey Reef), rays (mobula, Cownose, spotted Eagle), Moray Eels, Day Octopus, Misc. Crustaceans. There are 8 overall habitats in the section. There will be a large circular “swirling tank” for the schooling fish. The main exhibit will have 68,000 species and is hailed as the largest multi-species aquarium ever. The viewing areas for the tank include the endless vista a 20m tall window, a canyon walk, tunnels, and an escalator that will take you to the bottom of the tank. The 6 other exhibits will include the day octopus, crustaceans, and other species.
    https://www.seaworldabudhabi.com/en/realms

Kaleb, iluvwhales, Bisonblake and 4 others like this.
  17. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

18. Westcoastperson

Here is a good blog showing off the entire complex:

I must say the exhibits and themes are very impressive and they did a very good job overall. It looks like the Dugong hasn’t arrived yet but the tank they plan to put it in is there so I’m assuming it will come eventually. The Open Ocean is a true feat and looks to be more impressive the Ocean Voyage however I wonder if they plan to stock it with more species. The only species I saw in large amounts were Grey Reef Sharks, Sand Tiger Sharks, Hammerheads, and Cownose Rays. The exhibit is impressive but it feels empty.

Jambo, CMTM, iluvwhales and 4 others like this.
  19. LiSom

LiSom Well-Known Member

It looks pretty nice. I will visit someday in the next months and share some photos here

20. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

This link has numerous pictures of exhibits. The dugong isn't on exhibit yet, neither are any species of sea-snake or the (I think unannounced) humpback dolphin. Pictures of the dolphin and the dugong behind-the-scenes are at the bottom of page 3.

SeaWorld Abu Dhabi construction updates (themeparx.com)

Kaleb, Jambo, WhistlingKite24 and 3 others like this.