Join our zoo community

SeaWorld Ancol Seaworld Jakarta

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Bib Fortuna, 22 Jun 2015.

1. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

2. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

SeaWorld Ancol acquired many chromodoris elisabethina and other unknown nudibranch to commemorate Easter, since they were called "kelinci laut" (Sea rabbit) in Indonesia. They were housed in a aquarium previously housing seahorses, banded pipefish (Dunckerocampus dactyliophorus), and mandarinfish (Synchiropus splendidus).
    Melihat Lebih Dekat Kelinci Laut, Hewan Mungil Bertubuh Lunak - Tribun Jakarta

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Salt Merchant

Are you sure? The pair on SeaWorld Ancol died due to old age in 2016. Its probably a wild caught somewhere near Indonesia or the Philippines.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. Salt Merchant

SeaWorld released 10 coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus) and five grey bamboo shark (Chiloscyllium griseum) into the water of Tidung Kecil Island, Thousand Islands. Other animals that were released are sea turtles and clownfish.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNbnVe8gODC/?igshid=dkn79wmlyf0t

Kifaru Bwana and Fargusno like this.
  5. Salt Merchant

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Salt Merchant

Several sixbar angelfish has occupied the former polluted sea themed aquarium.

Login • Instagram

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

It previously housed juvenile humpback groupers (or mouse groupers) for CNY 2020 back in 2020-2021. Why they didn't think of putting longhorn cowfish during CNY 2021...

Salt Merchant and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. Salt Merchant

Minor updates, based on recent YouTube videos of the aquarium:
    1. The wallago catfish has been phased out.
    2. There's also some animals that have been added, such as an Amboina box turtle and three arothon pufferfish (Immaculatus, manilensis, and reticularis)
    3. The last scalloped hammerhead shark on display in the aquarium has been phased out, we wouldn't be seeing other hammerhead sharks anytime soon
    4. Despite having multiple aquariums, the jellyfish zone only have moon and upside-down jellyfish, althought varying in size, which make it a little bit interesting
    5. SeaWorld's nudibranch is short lived, the seahorse has returned to its exhibit

Since 2019, SeaWorld's collection in my opinion decreased in quality. There's not really much interesting species aside from 5-6 animals. I understand why SeaWorld seems to not be interested in getting good species. In 2017, they acquire the Japanese spider crabs, but the visitors was said to be more interested with the sharks and rays, making the crabs unpopular. Judging by that, SeaWorld seems to acquire the more popular and more well known species, the ones you've seen in films and in animal YouTube channels, so I can't blame them and the visitors too.

But in the end, what I love about SeaWorld is the exhibits, especially the "cave zone", the one with the titan triggerfish and pineapplefish, and the sharkquarium. But please phased out the sea turtle touch pool, which is definetaly the awful part of SeaWorld. You can still replace it with some freshwater turtles, which the neighbouring Ocean Dream had done.

Fargusno likes this.
  9. Fargusno

So sad that my first ever favorite marine aquarium gone downhill since 2019. Well, 2019 was the last time I saw the spider crabs, octopus and hammerhead shark before they go bye bye. As for the turtle exhibit, so far only 2 species since they added amboina box turtle (which is an improvement) but they could go for more like red-belly sideneck turtles or pignose turtles. They can add archerfish and horseshoe crab in the mangrove exhibit, and the latter used to be there back in 2019.

As for the rest, they can phase out the "kuwe gondrong" or African pompanos and move the angelfish to the reef tank. Their tanks can be inhabited by a smaller octopus (i.e Octopus vulgaris or Octopus ornatus) and maybe a pair of wobbegong sharks. Larger bamboo sharks from the touch pool can be in the former pompano tank too, mixed with other fishes maybe like coral trout or barracudas like in Jakarta Aquarium. The triggers and puffers can be mixed, and the former trigger tank could house spiny lobsters or mantis shrimps (the latter is more attractive because of its dancing swimming movements, which resembles a sea serpent).

As for the shark aquarium, I hope they obtain hammerheads in the future, maybe when this pandemic winds down and things go back to normal again, and so as their attendance. If they could, they can go for sand tigers and sandbars too.

And for the sea turtle exhibit, I'm hoping they could house green and loggerhead sea turtles, or move the larger hawksbills from the touch pool to there. They can demolish the smaller touch pools, move the sea stars into the same pool as the sharks, and move the blacktip reefs to the shark aquarium. Bamboos can stay there.

Salt Merchant likes this.
  10. Salt Merchant

Interesting ideas, but I would prefer the pompano tank to be remodelled like it used to be as a sea cavern exhibit. I thought it was a interesting exhibit with the mix (Lobsters, cuttlefish, day octopus, etc.), sad that I never got to see it.

11. Fargusno

Better idea. I want the sea cavern design back again, this time with lobsters, cuttlefish and maybe groupers (coral trouts and/or seabass)

12. Salt Merchant

13. Salt Merchant

SeaWorld has displayed a model of an dugong, a species they used to keep, in their museum, which display some of the aquarium's former animals like Gudel the giant Pacific octopus and Parni the giant stingray.

Attached Files:

14. Salt Merchant

This exhibit was part of an upgrade of the aquarium's museum, which the exhibit also houses sand tiger shark, tawny nurse shark, and bull shark. It's great that they finally upgraded one of my favorite area in the aquarium after a while.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcMsxepLOng/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

15. Salt Merchant

SeaWorld has display an new vehicle-themed aquarium, this time a truck. It is larger and have more space. It seems to house either parrot cichlids or goldfish from the video, I couldn't tell.

Attached Files:

16. Salt Merchant

I currenly doesn't have any news, but @Fargusno has sent me a nice old jingle of SeaWorld Indonesia before they were fully acquried by Ancol.

Fargusno likes this.
  17. Fargusno

Ah yes, the good 'ol days on SeaWorld Indonesia when they used to had Club Si Woli (I joined it because members gets free admission), awesome animals (like the bull shark, hammerhead shark, giant whipray, giant pacific octopus, saltwater crocodile and dugong) and of course, friendly staffs that I knew so well, they became friends with me.

Man I miss SWI days (1996-2014)

18. Salt Merchant

They really went downhill from that point onward. Wish they had the same species management as the previous administration, the new one under Ancol make it look like they treat SeaWorld as like some private home aquarium collection.

Last edited: 22 May 2022
  19. Fargusno

I agree. Jakarta Aquarium been adding lots of exotic species lately like the capuchin monkey and wobbegong shark while SeaWorld Ancol pointlessly add fishes commonly seen in fish stores like parrot cichlid and koran angelfish. Guessing they don't have enough money to buy exotic species for a while after the pandemic costed them a lot, or they're just too lazy to do so and used this as an excuse.

That's why I prefer Jakarta Aquarium nowadays, despite their small size. SeaWorld's exhibits and spaces are bigger, but they wasted them on useless stuff.

20. Salt Merchant

SeaWorld Ancol recently displayed a new and suprising species of fish, very unexpected to me actually and shocked me to the very core, probably the first time ever that any large and renowned public aquaria ever display this fish. It is the one and only, GloFish™.