Join our zoo community

SeaWorld San Diego SeaWorld San Diego News 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by wensleydale, 1 Jun 2015.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I just realized it isn't 2013 anymore.

Nearly two dozen marine mammals are being cared for SeaWorld following last weeks oil spill.

SeaWorld Now Caring For 15 Sea Lions, 6 Seals From Oil Spill | KPBS

Unfortunately several of them have died while in care, including two dolphins and several pinnipeds. Necropsies are planned. Currently 17 Sea Lions and five Elephant Seals are being cared for.

Three oiled mammals brought to SeaWorld San Diego die - LA Times

Also, the park is caring for a Sea Lion who has been impaled by what appears to have been a spear, so deeply that it needed to surgery to have the spear removed. The Sea Lion has been named Bubba and it is expected that he will be released.

http://www.10news.com/news/impaled-sea-lion-gets-treatment-at-seaworld

2. African Grey

African Grey Well-Known Member

Obie the Walrus has passed away at 28. I will miss him ):

3. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Does have the Construction on the new ocra pool started yet ?

4. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

To my knowledge application for construction permits haven't even been filed...

5. wensleydale

How long does it take to get construction permits in San Diego? Also, are they a matter of public record or are they more private? Just wondering so I can keep better track of this.

I wonder how long the actual construction will take.

6. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member

Apparently 3 construction walls have been erected near Shamu stadium. Could this be the beginning stages of preparation for the Blue World Project,or just maintenance?

7. wensleydale

They did say that construction was due to begin this year. Hopefully there will be an announcement about a groundbreaking ceremony so that we can start bickering about the project in earnest. :D

I like to Google Earth places that have construction projects going on, it never gives me a lot of detail but usually it gives me enough for my purposes.

8. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member

I just want the construction to start so the anti-caps will shut up about how the Blue World Project is a fantasy lol. In all seriousness though,I'm excited for it. Hopefully the barren tank style we have now will soon be a thing of the past.

9. wensleydale

10. wensleydale

11. wensleydale

12. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

13. wensleydale

How did that investigation of laura padgett end by the way? Let me guess, it never went anywhere?

I used to respect osha, now I don't.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2015
  14. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

It just sort of disappeared. Oh no, OSHA wouldn't do anything sneaky or underhanded. They're on the up-and-up. :rolleyes:

15. wensleydale

I understand that peta has had difficulties using the USDA to cause trouble for SeaWorld (usually the USDA finds that SeaWorld isn't at fault) I wonder if this is a sort of switch in tactics for them. They can't use one agency to make any meaningful impact on the Park's operations, so they started using another agency instead. Also they are buying up as much stock in SeaWorld as they can, they have publicly stated that this to try and interfere with SeaWorld's operations. Hopefully they never have enough stock to make any kind of meaningful impact on the company. That kind of influence wouldn't just be bad for the SeaWorld branded parks, I bet they wouldn't be above going after say, Busch Gardens and sending all of their Elephants to "sanctuaries" ditto the Biog Cats, Great Apes and any other animal that happens to be kept there. Its enough to make me want to buy stock in SeaWorld just to make sure that peta can't buy it.

16. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member

The Blue World Project has been approved by the CCC, however, it seems that the organization thought it would be fair to give both sides what they wanted, so if SeaWorld wants to construct BWP, then no killer whale must ever be born at the park for the rest of the company's existence. Therefore, SeaWorld has not made a decision, and they may appeal to this new amendment.

17. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member

No breeding seems to not be in the best interest of the whales, given they thrive in matriarch societies. We are moving to multi generation elephant herds in zoos, it would seem that should also be a goal with orcas. I'm disappointed in this decision, I hope SeaWorld appeals. And although extreme, maybe they need to consider leaving California.

18. ZooElephantsMan

ZooElephantsMan Well-Known Member

As well as not being allowed to breed the orcas anymore, they also can't transfer, sell, or move them.

I think the blue world project isn't worth it if it will only be used by the 11 orcas there and none else afterwords. They just shouldn't do the project since what would they use the tanks for after the final orca passes away?

19. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

Reservoirs to store extra water due to the drought. :p

20. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member

A couple of concerns:
    As the orca population at SWC ages and ultimately dies off, leaving one orca is incredibly cruel to said orca. Given what we know about social structure, the crazy activists will then be after SW for having a lone orca like they attack zoos with one or two elephants. Prohibition of breeding makes no sense.

Secondly, the crazy activists will not stop with orcas. They are after any animal in any sort of zoo or aquarium. They will be after elephant breeding (would argue already are), rhinos (clearly not appropriate given critical population numbers), lions, giraffes, and the list goes on. The zoo community and AZA must come out against the prohibition of orca breeding to preserve all other breeding programs including the SSPs.