Join our zoo community

SeaWorld San Diego SeaWorld San Diego News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by wensleydale, 8 Jan 2016.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

2. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member

Pacific walrus Mitik was rescued in 2012. After stays at other facilities, he is now residing at Seaworld San Diego. A Rescue Revisited: Mitik The Walrus - SeaWorld Cares

@Shellheart the pilot whale tank needs expansion desperately. I think the dolphin one was not as dire of a situation.

4. Shellheart

We are in definite agreement. I am definitely in support of SeaWorld (I've been a season passholder on and off for the last 10 years) but certain decisions made (or rather,not made) anger me. I don't honestly understand why they don't allow the pilot whales to use the show pool. It's very clearly much larger than the backstage pilot whale pool,and likely deeper. I also complain frequently about their decision not to shade any of the tanks and stadiums for cetaceans to cut down on sunburn (for both animals and humans). Orlando and San Antonio both have covered stadiums. You'd think that in San Diego,where we get 266 days of sun a year on average,they'd cover our stadiums. I guess all I can do now is hope Dolphin Stadium will make the cut after a decision is made on Blue World. :rolleyes:

5. jayjds2

The whales didn't seem to be affected by their small tank, they looked scarless and their fins were both in shape, but improvement isn't a bad thing. I honestly wish that some aquarium would get a lot of unreleasables and make a big pelagic exhibit for them, but that's just me. The shade also didn't seem to be an issue for the whales or dolphins, but I obviously didn't get too much of a look.

6. Shellheart

Agreed,they appear to be perfectly fine,in fact last time I was at SeaWorld,2 weeks ago,one of them (I honestly can't tell them apart,every pic of them seems to be a group photo) was rather vigorously playing with a toy one of the trainers provided,and Bubbles,one of the pilot whales, is supposed to be about 50-52,making her the second oldest cetacean in captivity,so clearly their welfare isn't lacking,I just think a bigger,more naturalistic environment would be helpful. I'm curious as to if a pilot whale has ever bred in captivity. They're a wonderful species,I'd absolutely love for a bigger spotlight exhibit on them somewhere.

7. jayjds2

To my knowledge, this Seaworld is the only institution in the world with short-finned pilot whales, and only one institution (in Japan) has long-finned. This could have changed. One of the whales at Seaworld was stranded, while the other two were caught. As for identifying, the bottom of this page may help (no guarantees) and provided other interesting information also. Ceta-Base, Captive Cetaceans (Living): SeaWorld San Diego - California, United States
    I'm going to go with no, none have been born in captivity.

8. Shellheart

9. jayjds2

Whoops, forgot about those. I thought they only had false killer whales (now deceased) but I do remember the pilots as well. It's been a while since I've been to that one, should change within the next few years though. I don't relieve San Antonio has any.

10. HyakkoShachi

HyakkoShachi Well-Known Member

There aren't any long finned pilot whales currently in captivity, all pilot whales in capitivty are of the short finned variety.

In Japan they can be spotted at Marineworld Uminonakamichi, Taiji whale museum and Yokohama Hakkeijima Sea Paradise. I think few whales have also been sent to China.

11. wensleydale

If I remember correctly there was once a Long Finned Pilot Whale at a facility on Cape Cod who was then transferred to Miami but clearly it is no longer there. It lived with Lolita and one of her Lag buddies, they were very pleased to meet each other.

12. wensleydale

13. wensleydale

14. Shellheart

15. jayjds2

Looks like Blue World will not be happening :(

16. wensleydale

Maybe they are planning to build it after their impending lawsuit against the CCC is over?

17. Shellheart

That seems like it's the goal. If the breeding ban is lifted I'm sure we'll see a revised version of Blue World,and it looks like the new area is something to occupy our time until then. As for San Antonio and Orlando,I'm wondering if they're waiting till after San Diego's Blue World is done(if it gets done) to start construction there.

18. jayjds2

San Antonio is already busy with their dolphin thing, which was desperatley needed. There isn't underwater viewing for much right now- belugas, white sided dolphins, and orcas can only be seen in shows. This is a step in the right direction for them. Hopefully an orca habitat will follow.

19. Shellheart

Yes,but the Discovery Point project is already complete and is being used for the dolphin interaction program,it's just not yet open to the public. This means planning for a new project (possibly Blue World,possibly not) is probably already starting or will start very soon.

20. jayjds2

All of the bottlenose dolphins that the park has are at their (normally) behind the scenes area. They have hardly been introduced to a rock wall. But I do agree it is nearing completion and planning for somethings else has probably started. :)