Join our zoo community

SeaWorld San Diego SeaWorld San Diego News

Discussion in 'United States' started by gerenuk, 9 Oct 2010.

1. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

SeaWorld San Diego celebrates their 55th anniversary today

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Zoofan15 and Loxodonta Cobra like this.
  3. drill

drill Well-Known Member

4. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They originally only had 1 male, Argo, but they now have another Male, Ace, and 2 females Piper and Ava. :cool:

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zorro, Jambo, StoppableSan and 4 others like this.
  6. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saw them today, very cute! SeaWorld has stopped the dolphin show for the time being and visitors can enter the Dolphin Stadium to view them. They weren't allowing anyone up close next to the windows (closest you could get was about 5 rows up and were under the watchful eyes of keepers the entire time monitoring their behavior) so you couldn't get many clear views of them but could see them for brief moments when they breached for air or swam close enough to the glass. It also appeared they had access to a side pool in the back if the mothers wanted to escape the crowds.

Jambo and vogelcommando like this.
  7. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I just came across an old post from 2011 by @Giant Eland and am wondering if this still holds true - I couldn't see anything about it on Google. The post is actually about San Antonio SeaWorld but they will all have the same policies.

9. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As of a year ago Google says it still holds true. That said, it's a little different than what Giant Eland said nowadays. You have to pay full price, and then return to the entrance within an hour with an item from the gift shop and receipt, and they will reimburse you the full-priced ticket. However, with Covid-19 things have changed drastically, so if you're looking to take advantage of this I would call ahead.

Chlidonias likes this.
  10. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Thanks - I was wondering how they would enforce that you would only stay for an hour before leaving, so that makes sense.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Now with COVID and heavy restrictions the last thing on my mind would be saving over and above a facility or educational organisation I would be pay-ing a visit. Support your local and see where you can be that change.

Zorro likes this.
  12. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Chlidonias asked a question, I answered. No opinions were given from either of us about doing this, and in fact I have visited 2 local facilities as safety permitted. I'm also not sure what you mean by "saving over and above a facility". 1 hour is not enough to see nearly anything at SeaWorld San Diego, especially given you have to buy something at a gift shop, and they're making money off of both your merchandise purchase and the price of parking, which is roughly $20.

ThylacineAlive and Chlidonias like this.
  13. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I have the answer to this from my 2019 visit. I went through some old photos to find that there are three harbor seals (denali, gunner, and Phoebe) and one ringed seal(Maybe: natuck of natchuck)

14. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It appears they have turned the former Polar Bear exhibit in Wild Arctic into a Northern Sea Otter exhibit.

twilighter, Jambo, Antoine and 4 others like this.
  15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Great news! A terrible, badly outdated Polar Bear exhibit becomes a spacious otter enclosure! :)

Antoine, SwampDonkey and Ituri like this.
  16. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I could have sworn I had heard about them moving northern sea otters into Wild Arctic a few months ago but I couldn't find where. Also I have met the woman who was talking in that video, if I'm correct she usually works with the walruses.
    This does bring up a question though, what happened to natcheck and the three harbor seals. I doubt they would have been move to the beluga exhibit as they have had problems there in the past and the pacific point isn't the best place to put a ringed seal.
    One other note, while looking to see if they put the ringed seal somewhere else in the park I noticed the park now lists their Curl Crested Aracari, Green Wood Hoopoe, Moray Eels, and Sloths. These are on the map so if you have any desire to find these species they are listed. Also it appears Turtle Reef is closed as the shipwreck rapids is the only place listed with Sea Turltes.
    Also the website says otter outlook is currently closed.

StoppableSan likes this.
  17. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

I wanted to ask for a general consensus: should I visit SeaWorld now or wait until later due to COVID? I’ve only every visited once 15 years ago and really am curious to know what are some animals that would make the visit worth it. I know they have a solid penguin collection and walruses too, are there other animals that aren’t found too often at other facilities? I plan visit San Diego county in a few weeks, mainly for Butterfly Jungle at SDZSP :) appreciate any feedback or tips!

18. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I last visited Sea World in 1995, and my impression is that animal-wise not much has been added since then beyond the Wild Arctic complex. They did have manatees for a few years also, but that ended years ago. Most of what has been added in the last 15 years are rides and remodels of areas like their entrance complex to have a bunch of touch pools.

Jambo and Julio C Castro like this.
  19. Julio C Castro

Ah I see, that’s a shame that not much in regards to new extravagant animal exhibits have been built instead of rides :/ I wonder if and when they will do major renovations to their habitats, I fairly remember their penguin exhibit and I did actually like it from what I can recall.

20. Julio C Castro

Oh sweet, that’s awesome to hear! I’ve seen some recent photos of it and it certainly is a time capsule of something dating the 70’s or 80’s era :D