Join our zoo community

SeaWorld San Diego SeaWorld San Diego News

Discussion in 'United States' started by gerenuk, 9 Oct 2010.

1. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The zoo has gotten in on the ice bucket trend to raise money for ALS. They though had a little help from some large orca friends. They also donated $25,000 to ALS Association.
    Challenge Accepted!

2. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I'd be really impressed if they weren't wearing their probably insulated wetsuits! :D

3. wensleydale

4. wensleydale

Peta is at it again this time claiming that the animals at SeaWorld have leisions indicating poor health? Needless to say SeaWorld is offended.

SeaWorld Veterinarians: We're Offended by PETA Charges - Times of San Diego

I don't get why SeaWorld hasn't sued them for slander/libel yet. Regardless of how one feels about zoos/aquariums, I think we can all agree that making in all likelihood baseless accusations is not okay.

5. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You can't sue for slander unless the accuser has ultimately some how greatly affected the accused.

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In other (more positive) news, a Pacific Bottlenose calf was born a few days ago !!

7. wensleydale

Lovely! :) Male or female?

8. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. wensleydale

Any Dolphin birth is a spectacular event, but the artist in me was struck by the fact that it was born against the whimsical backdrop of the show pool. There is something vaguely storybook like about it.

10. wensleydale

11. wensleydale

12. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. wensleydale

I don't know, I don't know. Regardless of how you feel about SeaWorld this is out of line and ought not to be tolerated.

14. TZFan

That is disgusting. I hope they are charged with something. No matter how you feel about Sea World the staff member was simply doing their job... resucing a seal pup who will likely be rehabilitated and released... you dont throw rocks at them. You might not like someone or something about them but you dont get to physically assult them because of it. What in the world ks wrong with society that people would even think thats acceptable behaviour?

15. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another example that shows who the real enemy of animals is. Animal rights activists and related persons in mind obviously don't care about animal wellfare.
    So zoos and aquarias should never ever step back just because of those .... weird people (would like to use another term). Neither with marine mammals nore others like elephants or apes.

16. TZFan

Well said zoomaniac.

17. wensleydale

Meanwhile six Sea Lions recently admitted to the rehabilitation program have died of gunshot injuries. Also, the same article mentions that the Sea Lion with the gaff pole stuck in its back died due to significant infection and necrosis.

6 sea lions die of gunshot wounds, SeaWorld official says | FOX5 San Diego ? San Diego news, weather, traffic, sports from KSWB

In better news the dolphin calf is a boy.

Born at 40 Pounds, SeaWorld Critter's Sex Finally Known - Times of San Diego

And the park has an innovative and unexpected way to save water: news bathrooms. Saltwater bathrooms.

SeaWorld adding new bathroom system to save water - San Diego, California Talk Radio Station - AM 760 KFMB

The park ought to build its own desalination plant, if it doesn't already have one.

18. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Why? It sounds like most of their water use is salt water anyway - for exhibits, and now toilets, if they are cutting down on fresh water use it seems they wouldn't really need a desal plant.

19. wensleydale

Hand washing, drinking, laundry, cooking (they must do some cooking there), dishes, other things that must need to be washed in fresh water, possibly showcasing some technology and spreading environmental awareness, thus making them look good, even if they just had some kind of minor passive system (I know there are simple stills out there) it could at least make them look good. For example "This is our solar desalination system, it makes enough fresh water to water most of our plants, blah blah blah."

20. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't sea water desalination the most expensive form of acquiring freshwater? Would it really make sense for Sea World to build a desalination plant, manage it, staff it, and maintain it as a private institution? Is it really sustainable for something so energy and cost intensive to fuel entertainment or captive research?