Join our zoo community

SeaWorld; Yes or No

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MountainBongo, 29 Jun 2012.

Tags:
  1. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

I like SeaWorld, but I see lots of criticism on SeaWorld. Do most zoochatters like or dislike it? Why?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, I do not like it at all and would never step foot in one again. The only time I went to Sea World as an adult (the one in San Deigo) was about 25 years ago and I left in the middle of the day because I had already seen it all. It is just a completely overpriced ripoff with only a handful of exhibits. I know some ZooChatters like it, but I cannot understand why. I also do not think it is feasible to build a tank large enough to humanely house killer whales.

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like some aspects of Sea World. They have one of the best penguin habitats in the world. They seem to be doing a nice job of promoting sea turtle conservation with their new turtle attractions in San Diego and Florida from what I have read. They have done good work with marine mammal rescue and rehabilitation.

This all seems to be very minor though compared to the circus/theme park atmosphere that has taken over their conservation work and interpretation. Their main focus now seems to be on thrill rides and turning their dolphins and whales into circus animals doing tricks. I don't think that orcas and dolphins should be kept in captivity if they aren't meaningful ambassadors for their wild relatives.

4. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@ArizonaDozent: Although I share your opinion in many other threads, this time I am disagree. I for myself can not understand why you don't like SW.
    Correct, entrance fee to SW isn't cheap. But the ripoff is the additional parking fee of 14 USD, not the entrance fee itself. Don't forget the costs for the many shows and empolyees they have. And you have the second-day-free option (at least in Orlando) and you can get a annual pass for sometimes less then 2 regular visits. Not to forget that SW spent a lot of money for conservation and - specially - rehabilitation of marine animals.
    And when you say, it isn't feasible to build a tank large enough to humanely house killer whales, so is it for exhibits for elephants, tigers, migrating hoofstock, birds (specially birds of prey like condors), large fishes as sharks etc.???
    Unfortunately, since a few years, SW focus more and more on thrill rides then on new and better animal exhibits (agree with @David Brown). But the animal shows are still awesome and mostly unique and are a good example how human and animal can work/interact together and how animals in captivity can be engaged.
    I have been to SW San Diego, San Antonio and Orlando (to late for Aurora). It is a great experience for the whole family. So my answer is a loud YES.