Join our zoo community

Jyllands Park Zoo Second Marius Giraffe May Be Killed By Danish Zoo

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by Jihoon Lee, 14 Feb 2014.

1. Jihoon Lee

Jihoon Lee Member

26167925"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26167925[/URL]

I'm very sorry to hear about the happening that occured in Copenhagen Zoo :(. But, not even a week after the killing of young giraffe Marius at Copenhagen zoo sparked a global outcry, a giraffe at another Danish zoo is being marked for death — and he’s also called Marius :eek:. Jyllands Park zoo has announced that it might have to kill another Marius. The zoo decided to kill 2nd Marius, because he could be unsuitable for the European breeding program that the zoo participates in. The zoo has just joined the European Association of Zoos and Aquarium (EAZA) breeding program and is expecting to receive a female giraffe to mate with Zoo's male giraffe, Elmer.

I think many Danish zoos are focusing on killing giraffes nowadays, in many reasons. I think it is useless for zoos in Denmark to make a death penalty to their giraffes and sentence them, although they're healthy enough to be a zoo member. Also I have a little doubt that why Danish zoos are not sending their surplus giraffes to other foreign zoos although they made a shelter for them and why don't they expend their giraffe enclosures even though they're not enough space for accommodation? I think there should be a solution for zoos in Denmark, trying to keep their precious zoo residents as a family member, without being cruel.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A spokesperson for the Zoo has in fact said they are trying to place him elsewhere and will only euthanase him if its absolutely necessary. Also, that this scenario is not 'imminent.'