Join our zoo community

North Carolina Zoo Second Surprise Rhino Birth at NC Zoo in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'United States' started by nczoofan, 13 Jul 2018.

1. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another white rhino has been born at the North Carolina Zoo. This comes 11 days after another rhino was born. Both calfs were surprises as signs of pregnancy were noticed only a few weeks ago. The zoo had previously planned to swap its bull rhino, yet now they have plans to keep him around. Prior to these births it had been 41 years since a rhinoceros birth at the zoo.

[​IMG]
    North Carolina Zoo surprises with second rhino baby

2. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are the parents captive born or wild caught?

nczoofan likes this.
  3. nczoofan

Kit was born at Kruegar to Linda, the rhino that had a calf 11 days ago. Kit was born in 1997 and came to the NC Zoo from White Oak in 2007. She came as part of a group of 4 rhinos, imported as part of group of 4 females (including her mother), for the opening of the 40 acre rhino habitat.

I am not sure if this is the same Stormy, but the only rhino named that in the US was at the Ellen Trout Zoo in 2011. He was born in 1990 at Gladys Porter Zoo.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So both mothers for sure wild caught. Still cool but the multi generation thing
    has been a sticking point for white rhinos.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Correct, as at Lufkin for maturing into a young adult.

That more than one rhino was pregnant was first brought up by the retiring curator (see earlier notes).

nczoofan likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Rhino mums as in mum daughter do not exist in the wild and hormonal activity and cycling are affected adversely when maintained in captivity outside range. Lots of evidence for this in some breeding programs.

In the wilds rhino daughters are pushed out of the territory and breed with non residents. An effective outbreeding strategy … NC Zoo team take heed!

7. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

These calves are the 1st & 2nd rhinos born at North Carolina. There wasn't a calf born 41 years ago.

North Carolina Zoo brought 2.4 rhinos from White Oak in 2007. The boys were later sent on to Peoria Zoo in 2008.

These females rhinos were reliable breeders before arriving in North Carolina where they were often separated for long periods of time to facilitate training. This likely changed the dynamics of their social structure and their estrous cycling. It would make sense that Linda, being the dominant of the 4, would have her calf first. I wouldn't be surprised if Abby, Linda's previous calf, and/or Natalie were also pregnant.

The multi-generational female hierarchy theory is only relevant depending on who is dominant and who is submissive. The most dominant females in a rhino herd will suppress the estrous cycling of the most submissive female. Depending on the herd dynamics at North Carolina, Natalie or Abby could experience cycling suppression and won't get pregnant.

Kifaru Bwana and nczoofan like this.
  8. nczoofan

I misunderstood the articles, they just meant not in the zoos 41 year history has a rhino been born. Which makes sense given the old habitat only being able to support small amounts of both rhino and elephants prior to expansion. Now to just hope that the zoo brings in a younger female or two to get the elephant program going (although I do not know the reproductive status of either bull, I have seen some breeding activity though between one of the bulls and female, yet it was one of the older girls).

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They do have a young female elephant that could breed.

nczoofan likes this.
  10. nczoofan

Yes they do have one younger cow, Batir. The zoo integrated all of its 4 females into a singular herd in 2016. Now they can be mixed with either bull, so every elephant is on display all the time, which is really great. The zookeepers also have pulled back on interaction with the elephants, under the idea "let elephants be elephants." But back to the point, having been mixed with the bulls all the time I have seen at least one of the bulls (Artie) attempt to mount a female. So while I cannot confirm breeding, the male has clearly been interested. From statements, the zoo wants to breed Batir, but through natural breeding and AI she has not gotten pregnant. Either way the zoo can hold more female elephants in their current setup, yet if the both bulls are the issue then one would need to be sent away to get another breeding male. The zoo would not send C'sar away given his age and the fact that he has been at the zoo since he was 4 years old.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. nczoofan

Visited the zoo today and suprisingly both White Rhino calfs were on display. The zoo had been keeping Linda and her baby behind the scenes on their own, and that was their plan with Kit's baby as well. Yet Kit refused to move off exhibit and therefore the zoo decided to move Linda and her baby on exhibit as well. The other 3 rhinos in the herd are off exhibit and the zoo is currently observing the other females for signs of pregnancy. The 13 day old was alert and was interacting with the various antelope all morning, while the 1 day old calf mostly slept at its mothers feet. The rhinos are rarely recalled to their off exhibit area, so I imagine Kit simply felt more comfortable in the 40 acre habitat. As a result the zoo has closed to safari tour ride for a few days, to minimize disturbance.

I will be posting a trip update on the zoo later and some photos, yet since the rhinos were at the back of their massive habitat photos were hard.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Kifaru Bwana

RESUME:
    (from past records of mine)
    Linda had 4 (1.3) and Natalie 3 (3.0) while at White Oak.
    Interestingly, Linda's daughter produced 2 (2.0) calves up there.

Further, NC Zoo had 4 males come: Darryl aka Stan (old and now retired here), a male named Duma (unsure what happened, arrived 2011..) and the 2014 bull Stormy. Plus their original 1976 imports (1.1) Ted and Alice.

BTW: The claim 41 years without a birth is correct. On 19th August 1977 a female rhino named Caroline was born to Ted and Alice. She was later sent to Grand Prairie and sold on to Medellin Zoo in Colombia.

nczoofan likes this.
  13. 15308

15308 Member

14. 15308

15308 Member

DSC_0059-X3.jpg DSC_0076-X3.jpg DSC_0143-X3.jpg DSC_0151-X3.jpg DSC_0059-X3.jpg DSC_0076-X3.jpg DSC_0143-X3.jpg DSC_0151-X3.jpg

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. 15308

15308 Member

Is the photo on top of this forum your own or is this an official NC Zoo photo?
    The four pictures I added were taken last Friday, the 13th... I posted some comments along with the photos but now I cannot see the text I wrote???? Don't know why the four photos show twice.
    In my original comments which did not print I mentioned that in the first two photos the calf had apparently rolled around in mud (just like it mother) and in the second two photos the calf looks to me like the baby rhino may be second rhino born July 13th.
    Yes, had to use my 300mm tele lens to get these pictures, the rhinos were too far away for pictures with a regular 55mm lens....what is your impression looking at these photos?

Last edited: 20 Jul 2018
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  16. Kifaru Bwana

I suspect - but this is mere speculation - that what you are looking at is Kit with her calf born July 13th. However, I cannot tell which is which as I am not local, but most probably nczoofan will be able to once he logs on.

I must say I really appreciate your photos. Impressive what you can do with a good 300mm.
    Looking forward to more photography and updates from you!

17. 15308

15308 Member

To Kifaru Bwana: Thanks for you response... I am new at using this ZooChat... also used the 300mm lens for the first time on July 13th, it too amazed me as the kind of photos was able to shoot with that lens.
    See more of the pictures taken with the 300mm lens that day at the NC Zoo/Africa section on my website John Roth. Albums are in alpha order by State (e.g. NC-Asheboro-NCZoo etc.).. Not all pictures taken come out "perfect" since I am not a professional photographer, just a zoo man snapping pictures as I see it. Have some 100 albums on smugmug.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. 15308

15308 Member

Kifaru Bwana: What further do you know about the NC Zoo Rhino birth you mention in 1977?
    And what year where the White Rhinos acquired?
    When I operated Animal Transports Inc., I delivered 1.1 Black Rhinos to the NC Zoo in 1973, supplied by International Animal Exchange, which was prior to them opening the entire AFRICA Zoo in 1974 to the public (preview of finished exhibits with rest of AFRICA still under construction). Does anyone know what happened to those two Black Rhinos, could they have produced a calf in 1977 as you said? Do not know and have not met any of the present zoo staff to inquire about such history....

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Their original pair arrived in September 1976 and had already resided in the US since January 1973 passing from West Palm Beach over St. Louis to Asheboro. Estimated birth timings 1970 in South Africa.

Correction on their calf: a female born August, 19 1977 and sent on B/L to Knoxville in 1988. The Medellin Zoo US born individual was another one passing through NC Zoo for a short while in 1980.

The black rhino delivery would have been 1974 per chance?
    If so, they did so 2.1 for a short while. Alas, none survived long enough to reproduce and not beyond the 1970's.

Will post PM (if you like).

15308 likes this.
  20. 15308

15308 Member

Kifaru Bwana: Interesting that you have such detailed information and dates on the rhinos. I see you live in Amsterdam, Holland, makes me curious if you are from North Carolina and have close contact with present or former zoo staff, or is "nczoofan" your contact. Will be interested to hear more comments from him also.
    According to what you say, the original pair of White Rhinos arrived September 1976 and the female gave birth on August 19, 1977. That tells me that she was already pregnant upon arrival in NC. Heard that they presently have an "old" pair off exhibit, which could be original pair you mentioned. Born in 1970 would make them approx. 48 years of age.
    Thus, how many rhinos are presently on exhibit at the Grassland Preserve? Think I saw as many as four on prior visits, which would mean 1.3 total....which includes the two females who gave birth this month.
    As regards the Black Rhinos, as stated I delivered a young pair late summer of 1973. They began accumulating a collection of animals during that year, and they were busy constructing the AFRICA section, then opened an "interim" section for public viewing by Spring of 1974 (was not in NC to see how many animals were on exhibit for that opening, but heard it was the section for the giraffes and zebras and the lower walk area where elephants and the grassland reserve are located, that to create interest and promote private funding from local citizens and corporations. I know that the official Grand Opening for the AFRICA ZOO did not take place until August 13, 1976, when construction of all of the present day exhibits were completed. However, by that date the Black Rhinos seem to have been replaced already with the Whites...
    Though you mentioned 2.1 Blacks, which tells me they either acquired another male after I delivered the 1.1 Blacks, or could it be that they had a male calf born and the group then shipped to another location to make room for the Whites. Making the "switch" was a good move since White Rhinos are a better fit for the Grassland area, especially now that they have the "ZooFari" buses cruising around the some 30 acres to see all animals up close....
    And, you mentioned one female calf born at NC Zoo having been sent to Knoxville in 1988, see the enclosed photo of the three White Rhinos I photographed last year at the Knoxville Zoo. One of them could be one born at the NC Zoo? DSC_0161-X2.jpg

Wisp O' Mist and StoppableSan like this.