Join our zoo community

Sedgwick County Zoo sedgwick county zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zoogoer2000, 11 May 2008.

1. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Hi, im just wondering if some one could give me a list of the animals at each exhibit at sedgwick county zoo.so,Australian Outback,South American Pampas,Koch Chimpanzee and Orangutan Exhibit,Pride of the Plains,African Veldt,Asian Steppes and Forest,The Downing Gorilla Forest,North American Prairie,Jungle,Amphibians&Reptiles,Cessna Penguin Cove,and Childrens Farms.Im going to try to recreate the zoo on zoo tycoon

Summer Tanager likes this.
  2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

I have been to this zoo only once and very shortly in 2005 and won't be much of a help here. What I can recommend You though for Your computer game is to go to the zoo's HP and take a look at the zoo map there.
    Exploring / Map - Sedgwick County Zoo

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Furthermore, if you email the zoo, I expect they would be happy to give you this information

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And i only typed in the address of that site and a link came up automatically....cool!

6. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can give you a fairly complete list of species in each exhibit. However, I may have to do this after Juna 2nd. I am preparing for a big trip through midwest to visit 7 zoos. Sorry for the wait.

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

8. Marcellus

Marcellus Well-Known Member

9. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

10. snowleopard

It's an ambitious list of projects for this zoo, and the series of animal farms in the children's section appears to be unique.

11. yangz

Okay, Zoogoer2000, here is the list for the animals now on exhibit.

North American Prairie: Grizzly Bear, American Black Bear, American River Otter, White Tailed Deer, Wild Turkey, Turkey Vulture, American Porcupine, Elk, Bald Eagle, Trumpeter Swan, Pronghorn, American Bison, Sandhill Crane, Puma, Black Tailed Prarie Dog

Asian Walkthrough: Malay Tapir, Indian Muntjac, Bar Headed Goose, Mandurine Duck, Smew, Red Breasted Goose, White Stork, Arabian Oryx ( soon phased out and redo, expand exhibit for tiger, eld's deer and red panda). Amur leopard ( died early this year).

African Veldt and Pride of the Plain: Caracal, Kori Bustard, Reticulated Giraffe, African Elephant, Bontebok, Hippo, Abyssinian Ground Hornbill, Slender Horned Gazelle, Warthog, African Lion, African Hunting Dog, Meerkat, Grevy's Zebra, Blue Winged Goose, Black Rhino.

Australia and South America: Double Wattled Cassowary, Tammar Wallaby, Matschie's Tree Kangaroo, Hill Wallaroo, Black Swan, Emu, Kea, Straw Necked Ibis, Kookaburra, Palm Cockatoo ( in the back holding ), Salmon Crested Cockatoo, Brush Turkey, Maned Wolf, Guanaco, Squirrel Monkey, Tamandua, Rhino Iguana, Yellow Footed Tortoise, Tayra, Chacoan Peccary, Baird's Tapir, Giant Anteater, Pudu, Andean Bear, Andean Goose, Red Legged Seriema, King Vulture, Yellow Knobbed Curassow, Black Jaguar, Crested Screamer, Puna Ibis, Roseate Spoonbill, White Faced Tree Duck, Black Bellied Tree Duck, Green Winged Macaw, Hyacinth Macaw, Blue and yellow Macaw, Red fronted Macaw, Thick Billed Parrot, Tawny Frogmouth, Carpet Python, Buffon Macaw.

Chimpanzee and Orangutan Habitat: Common Chimpanzee, Sumatran Orangutan.

Amphibian and Reptile: Aldabra Tortoise, Chinese Alligator, King Cobra, Blue Iguana, Mexican Cecilian, Panama Golden Frog, Green and black Dart Frog, Green Tree Python, Leaf Nosed Snake, Gila Monster, Spiny Tailed Lizard, Pancake Tortoise, Jamaican Iguana, Madagascar Tree Boa, Yellow Footed Tortoise.

Cessna Penguin Cove: Humboldt Penguin, Inca Terns.

Jungle: Komodo Dragon, Victoria Crowned Pigeon, Blue Crowned Pigon, Wrinkled Hornbill, Golden Lion Tamarin, Two Toed Sloth, Tri Colored Squirrel, Pacu, Knifefish, Silver Arawana, Red Tailed Catfish, Shark Catfish, giant Gourami, Scarlet Macaw, Golden Headed Quetzel.

Sorry I don't have a list for farms. It is kind of tricky with breeds. Some breeds are pretty distinct when they first came to the zoo, such as the goats. And then they cross breed with some other goats and so there is no name yet for those hybrids.

This is all I can think of.

12. snowleopard

@yangz: great list of the animals at the Sedgwick County Zoo, but you forgot the Downing Gorilla Forest that opened in 2004. Gorillas, De Brazza`s monkeys, colobus monkeys, greater flamingos, pelicans, okapis, black-crowned cranes, bongo and saddle-billed storks.

Also, it would be great if you posted a list of the 7 zoos that you visited on your trip, and perhaps short reviews of some of them.

13. yangz

My goodness, how can I forget about the Downing Gorilla Forest. Thanks

Okay, here are the zoos I went. St Louis, Indianapolis, Toledo, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Louisville. The highlights of the trip are, the freshwater fish collection in Toledo. This the only place I know where you can see lungfish from all three continent. They also display the blotch river ray instead of the ocellated river ray most other zoos have. However the aquarium is housed in an older style building since it is situated in the older part of the zoo. The newer part of the zoo where Africa Live was recently built are more spacious.

Cleveland zoo is bigger, but a lot of empty spaces in between exhibits. You have to take the shuttle rides in order to get to exhibits like Primates, Cats and Aquaticus. Otherwise it is going be a marathon just to get there. I could not figure out the theming behind Primates, Cats and Aquaticus. The building looked new, but the style is very old.

Cincinnati is better. You don't have to walk too much to see animals. However, their diversity of collections went down over the years. There is no more zebra duiker, giant eland, shoebill stork, tarsier, blue sheep, whiskered auklet, dikdik, margay, asian golden cat, rusty spotted cat, and jaguarundi. The small cat house is now a mix of felines and viverrines. But seeing the sumatran rhino is always worth the trip for me.

The pachyderm house in Columbus Zoo is transformed into a mixed exhibits of Asia Quest. This is the first time I saw fruit bats at eye level in their bat exhibit instead of searching for them in the ceilings like a lot of other fruit bat displays in other zoos. The reticulated python they touted as the largest snake in zoos has a strange pattern for that species. Does anyone know if this is a naturally occuring pattern or a mutation usually termed as super tiger?

When I go to St Louis zoo, I never miss the ungulate exhibits. It is the older part of the zoo and the design is classic moat. But the collection is impressive. Although the theming of the moat doesn't reflect the habitat where the animals comes from, at least it is very photographic friendly.

Louisville zoo has a good collection of arachnids in their giraffe building. There is also the stellar's sea eagle as well. The animal I was searching for in that building was the golden rumped elephant shrew, but it never showed. They should just call the Herpaquarium the Herpetarium. There isn't much fish collection in there. I saw a piranha like fish and couldn't find the sign to know what that fish is. The display for the gliding gecko is so big that there is no way to find the animal amist so much foliage. But I was happy to see the mountain zebras there. Does anyone know if there is another zoo that display this type of zebras?

Overall it was a good trip for me. But I have to cut the trip short due to my daughter's illness. She is better now. I may have to wait until she grow up a little for the next trip.

14. snowleopard

@yangz: thanks for the quick reviews, and I plan to definitely see Cincinnati, Columbus and Louisville as part of a holiday this summer. If you are interested you can check out the thread "Ohio's Best Zoos" and read about the opinions of others, as that State is blessed with a number of decent collections.

15. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

16. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a gem among the "lesser" zoos. It is compact and has everything on offer and well designed. It has been rather silent since last year the new Masterplan was put forward. What is next?

As to the African Veldt: what is the plan with giraffes (to be relocated)? Equally, the rhinos (apparently they now have 2 breeding pairs if I am correct)? Any serious planning on elephant breeding here at all ... at some point?

17. yangz

We can't breed the elephants until the new exhibit is built and see how our elephants are adjusting to the new environment. Remember the two females we have were grown in the same exhibit since they were young. The new exhibit will also accommodate new females and possibly male elephants. So it is going to be a whole new group dynamic for our current females. Funds are hard to come by with the economic downturn. Just can't justify a new exhibit when other people have more pressing issues in their lives. But we are very optimistic about our new elephant exhibit and our community support and with the new elephant exhibit done, then we can think about improve or expand the rest of the exhibits in the veldt.

We only have one breeding pair of black rhinos. A male and two females (mom and daughter).

18. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting coversation from Facebook about SCZ:
    Someone asked about zoo's "official" ranking, and here is their response.

It is difficult to say what Zoo is top in the US when there are so many variables. What we do is compare each of the variables and determine how we rank among the AZA (Association of Zoos & Aquariums) accredited zoos.

I should clarify - we compare ourselves to zoos with Annual Budgets of $7 million and above - this does not include the Sea Worlds or Disney wildlife parks. That being said, here are a couple of variables that we can brag about when compare...d to 57 other zoos. Of course, Total Acreage we are #9. Total Animal Species (Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds, & Mammals) we rank #17 with nearly 400. Total Animal Specimens (individuals) we rank #10 with more than 2,500. Operational Cost Per Day we rank #11 at just $25,269. per day. This shows us that Sedgwick County Zoo is able to maintain a large collection of animals at a low cost per day.

19. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Recent Leopard Attack
    Leopard attacks child at Wichita zoo - KansasCity.com

Here is a photo of the leopard exhibit http://www.zoochat.com/610/leopard-exhibit-166009/

20. snowleopard