Join our zoo community

Sedgwick County Zoo sedgwick county zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zoogoer2000, 11 May 2008.

1. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It now features (I kid you not) audio-animatronic "pirates."

2. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Not just audio-animatronic-pirates, but audio-animatronic animals as well, tied up with a dubious conservation message. To my eyes, it's a poorly done cousin to Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean, with poor viewing of the real animals (which is the problem that led to the addition of dinosaurs two years ago, to be replaced by pirates this year). However, it seems to be popular (certainly more popular than the ride was prior to the addition of audio-animatronics).

There is another boat ride at a U.S. zoo: Although recently closed for renovation (until next year), Fort Wayne children's zoo has a River Ride which circles its Outback section.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Sedgwick County will join zoos such as Columbus, Brevard, Fort Wayne and Naples as an American zoo with a boat ride although I believe the only free one is Naples and its "Primate Expedition Cruise" lasts 20 minutes and takes visitors past a number of island exhibits with monkeys, apes and lemurs as inhabitants.

There are other facilities (Tennessee Aquarium, Gator Country, etc) that offer boat cruises for an additional fee and visitors have an opportunity to view non-captive wildlife in a far different setting.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2015
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am so glad. They have had good stats with their black rhino and the facility really needs a bit of an upgrade.

Perhaps not so fancy as Columbus or Omaha's Henry Doorly or San Diego, but otherwise a very nice zoo with a great collection. I think they are on the right track and mindset with their new elephant exhibit - looking forward to another breeding herd of Africans here - and the new boat rides project!

5. Jaguarundi

Jaguarundi Active Member

The Sedgwick County Zoo had a boat ride long before they started construction on the new elephant exhibit. It started in their North American exhibit, going past bison, pronghorn, sand hill cranes, elk, and Mexican grey wolves before going through Africa. It finished by Pride of the Plains. Elephants of the Zambezi River Valley is just adding a marquee species to the experience

6. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great point re already a boat ride at SCZ. I hope they smarten up the existing landscapes seen from the boat.

7. cmrButton5

cmrButton5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 25 Sep 2015
  8. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Six elephants per zoo seems like a lot..

~Thylo:cool:

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Having taken a tour of the progress last week, it is looking good. What the photos Zooplantman linked to doesn't show is the prime view, standing at the large covered viewing pavilion and looking out to the west to Nganda Island over the water (with elephant barrier not visible). When the water is there it will be a pretty spectacular view. The views from the pavilion toward the roadway are pretty bland and glaring right now but they are planning to continue the "King Kong" wall along the entire perimeter along the roadway and plant it up with vines and the like. The zoo horticulture and graphics staff always does a good job of coming in after construction and making is look great! Overall there will be a lot of space for the elephants to roam, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

11. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the exhibit looks nice, nothing to spectacular and pretty simple but I'm glad its spacious. I am a bit confused though on why a zoo in Kansas of all places went with building a corrugated wall barn? I figured for sure a zoo in tornado alley let alone an exhibit with elephants would build something of higher duty. I could understand a zoo pulling it off in a warmer climate without strong storms but Kansas winters are pretty cold so I'm curious how well the building will be insulated for imported elephants unfamiliar with cold midwest winters.

12. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

What's so bad about steel buildings? You act as if they're not able to be insulated. Do you know what type of heating system they're using for the barn? Just because it's steel doesn't mean it'll be an ice box. I'm sure there are guidelines for architects and builders in areas where a tornado can touch down. Omaha's new Elephant and Giraffe barn are made of steel as well.

13. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just figured it would be made of concrete, not saying what they have is bad. For example I know that Lowry park zoo purposefully built their barn to also serve as a shelter to bring in other animals and I just thought maybe they'd go with something else.

14. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

15. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. wensleydale

17. wensleydale

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We have crossed another Rubicon!

This surely will open the way for more African elephant imports, both North American and European. Both populations will benefit immensely from new blood and the potential to improve breeding prospects for the African species in zoos.

Down with those anti zoo ele friend brigade!

19. wensleydale

We are the real ele friends.

Had I won the powerball I would have bought the Waggoner ranch in northern Texas and turned it into Elephant ranch, every Elephant facing a cull in Africa would be welcome there.

20. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are already free-roaming zebras in Texas, so why not up the ante and make it into Kenya number 2.

Fantastic job for everyone involved for the new elephants. It will be interesting to see how all 18 will do to AZA life.