Join our zoo community

Sedgwick County Zoo sedgwick county zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zoogoer2000, 11 May 2008.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo's male Baird's tapir, "Einstein", will be moving to the Cincinnati Zoo in April.

2. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone have a .pdf or image that illustrates the elephant exhibit design?

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

4. wensleydale

The Elephants have names! They are Simunye, who is 18-20 years old and mother to Titan, who is the Bull and is 6-7 years old, Arusi, a 6-7 year old, Zuberi, who is 7-8 years old, Xolani, and Talia, who are both 6-7 years old.

I wonder what will happen with Titan when he hits puberty and gets kicked out.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2016
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It may sound a little downtrodden and boring: a bull change … I guess!

6. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

More than likely they will keep Titan on as their breeding bull.

His only familial relation is to his mother, there are 5 other unrelated females for him to mate with. Also given the age at which they were brought together, I don't think they will have major issues with Stephanie and the other young females rejecting him as a breeding bull. I honestly don't foresee them transferring him any time soon. They own him outright, his is extremely genetically valuable, and there are 4 females whom he has the potential to produce calves with in the next 5-8 years.

Granted, you never know, they may bring in a new male to breed with the maturing girls in the next couple of years, but I think Titan will be calling the zoo home for quite some time.

7. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd like to know how related this import of Swaziland elephants is to the last group of elephants imported by San Diego and Lowry Park.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Hyak_II, my observations rest on the notion of the age of the bull being inadequate for breeding generally. He is a pubescent sub-adult of sorts right now age-wise. Under natural conditions, an adult bull of breeding age is 22-25 years of age minimum. The current bull being the same age as most other cows and his mother in the group is not helping it either.

I honestly do hope they may be able to rectify the current set up in future.

9. wensleydale

10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Given that these animals arrived stateside in sub-optimal condition, it should in the best interest of the animals' welfare that breeding probably not take place for a few years until their respective body condition improves.

12. wensleydale

Does anyone know how the integration is going? How is Stephanie taking the new herd?

13. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe that the zoos exaggerate the "the elephants are too thin" angle. Because seriously, look at the pictures and the footage available, they all look fine to me. Not fat - unlike many elephants in US zoos - but not too thin either. Just like healthy elephants. Which makes sense, because they have been in captivity (bomas) for around a year before they were brought to the US, and a year is enough time to fatten up a starving elephant! But considering that the draught in Swaziland/ South Africa only got really bad AFTER the elephants were caught and placed into bomas, I seriously doubt that they ever were starving at all.

This whole story of "rescue" and that the elephants had to go to make "room for rhinos" doesn`t make any sense. These zoos obviously believe that it is ethically and morally ok to capture wild elephants for display in US zoos, and they should at least stand by that opinion and not make up ploys why they had to "rescue" these animals.

14. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. TZFan

16. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Are they managing the young bull elephant separately? They only mention 5 other elephant with their long time female. I believe they had 6 new arrivals.

17. wensleydale

I'm glad that they are getting to know each other. I was hoping that they would provide Stephanie with some company and hopefully she can provide them with some Grandmotherly guidance.

18. TZFan

The article said it was the younger elephants. Perhaps they are keeping the adult female and Stephanie separate until Stephanie settles with the younger animals and then let the adults settle who is the boss without possible bullying. On the other hand maybe the bull hasn't been introduced yet either. Or the author wrote down the wrong number because six elephants arrived to join Stephanie.

19. TZFan

20. TZFan