Join our zoo community

Selwo Safari Selwo Aventura review

Discussion in 'Spain' started by savethelephant, 16 Apr 2015.

1. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So I just recently visited Selwo Aventura on my trip to Spain. I wish to give you a review.
    All in all it was a pretty good zoo witth no great enclosures but nothing terrible. The terrain was extremelly hilly so I had to rest for a bit.
    I will start with the largest area, the African savannah. The savannah here was not country specific so it had animals such as sciamitar horned oryx and black wildebbest in the enclosure. The animals here were Scimitar horned oryx, lechwe, chapman's zebra, some giraffe subspecies, black wildebeest, common eland, waterbuck, impala, and white rhino. As you can tell, very not country specific;). The exhibit itself was a very dusty plain wih almost no shrubs ana some hills where the truck goes. Unfortunately I didn't go on the tram so the pictures I will upload aren't great. Around that are is the elephant enclosure which looked big and somewhat nice. Saddly it seemed the elephants were swaying. I am not animal behaviorist but I think that swaying in an elephant=bad.Going trough the path are dromedary camel rides. In the vincinity are also lions which had a pretty good looking enclosure that was looking over a hill. The hippos were close to that but you need to walk down a looooooooooot of stairs but it was worth seeing two hippos out of the water and eating. The area was okay with a huge swimming pool and decent land space. Right next to the hippo's were the giant gerbils which were a cool specie to see. As you're heading backward you reach a huge aviary which is self proclaimedto be largest in Europe. don't know if that is true but it was very big for the inhabitants of Abdim's stork, african sacred ibis, scarlet ibis, and yellow billed stork. After you pass through you reach the lemur walkthrough which include ring tailes,black and white ruffed, and collared. It provided very good habitat and playing structures. After you go through you reach two ginormous enclouseres. The first on you left is American bobcat and the second having european lynx. It took me a very long time to find both of them as there was a huge hill and lots of grass After those you reach the asian short clwed otter enclosure which was okay sized and otters were playing around which caught visitors atention. Keep going and you reach a fork take a left and you reach a very large enclosure with a pool wih a single spotted hyena. Next is he aviary for northern bald ibis,sacrlet ibis,golden pheasent,great blue turaco, violet curassow, and african spoonbill.. After is a faairly lage exhibit for patagonian mare and two capybara. Past here are monkey cages with mantled guereza, patas monkey, and barbary macaque. Behind that is a plain field for black crowned crane and gray crowned crane. It was nice to see the two species side by side to compare. Next to that is a typical lesser flamingo enclosure. Keep going and you will reach the barnyard with the typical barnyard animals. Next to that is the cafe which overlooks a lake with an island in the middle featuring lar gibbons. It looked okay from where I was standing bu I wish I had gotten a closer view. Past is the wallaby enclosure and next to that is the red pandas. Take a right to see Barbary sheep in a classic desert exhibit. Keep going and yo will reach a paddock for three species Cuviers gazelle(which had poles on their heads), Somali wild ass(which was fighting and then mating), and finally mhorr gazelle(which was rutting). Weird enclosure habits! Past that is the cheetah exhibit which was nice. It had a grassy hill which had two or three cheetahs inhabiting it. Past that is the entereance. Hoped you like my review! Here is the link to the website.
    Selwo Aventura

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Interesting review :).
    I may be missing something but I don't really understand what you mean by cuviers gazelles having poles on their heads.

3. savethelephant

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

5. savethelephant

Oh, well thank you Chlidonias!

6. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member

Does Selwo Aventura have Iberian Lynx. If so, are they off-show or visible to the public?

7. savethelephant