Join our zoo community

Seneca Park Zoo Seneca Park Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 14 May 2010.

1. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

2. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They're cute as can be! They can be found in the outside exhibit of the Main Building where the white tiger was last summer (right side of building as you enter the zoo).

3. blospz

Animal News from the Zoo Newsletter

Current Animal News (written by David Hamilton):

.We have a new female hooded pitta in the Aviary. She's one of the little green birds with the black head. We hope she will breed with our male pitta that has been with us for several years.

.A male green snake will be joining our female in the Main Building. Several splashback frogs will be added to the poison dart frog exhibit also in the Main building.

.Simao, the male ocelot in the Main Building, is going to Granby Zoo to breed with their female due to a recommendation from the Ocelot SSP.

Future Animal News (written Larry Sorel)

.First we will be completing renovations and improvements to Rocky Coasts exhibit, including penguins, which will change the way we operate that area and change the way our guests interact with it. We will finish updating the water quality systems., thus enhancing the environment for the animals. The upgrade will include a chiller system to cool the water for the sea lions in the summer, something we have wanted to do for a long time. These changes will also allow us to add another seal lion and two harbor seals in 2011. We will also be repairing leaks in the penguin pool by replacing the entire pool basin, allowing us to again improve the environment for the animals by giving them a larger variety of land forms to utilize. In addition, the pool will be reshaped to encourage the penguins to swim more often. It has been very discouraging to not have them in the water as much as we would have wanted, these improvements will go a long way to address that issue.

.Second, we will be spending the summer completing the designs that will finish the original intent of the elephant habitat. As many of you are aware when the elephant habitat was originally built we allowed more room in the barn to add additional stalls for more animals. We will now be completing those stalls as well as reconfiguring the outside yard. When completed, we will be able to manage up to two more elephants, including a male. Timeline for this project calls for design to be completed in 2010 with construction in 2011. We will be ready for a new animal in 2012.

.Third, we hope to be advertising construction bids for lions this summer. If all goes well, the new exhibit will open in 2011; returning lions to the Zoo for the first time since 1986. The plan for the animals calls for us to import two lions from Africa which will increase genetic diversity of the AZA SSP population. We also plan to add one more animal from the U.S. population with the goal of having lion cubs in the near future!

I'm excited for harbor seals, but I'm not sure they have enough room for 3 more marine mammals in that exhibit. Especially their pool off exhibit. Also not sure if the exhibit they have right now for the elephant is big enough for 2 more elephants. I'm curious if the two will be a female and male in hopes they will mate. Genny C. and Lilac are past the years of reproducing, but I don't want to see them shipped away because they can't help increase the elephant population. We've had them for so many years! Time will tell I guess.

4. blospz

5. blospz

I visited the zoo yesterday on a beautiful fall day. Being a zoo in a NY state park, it just shows you it's wonderful to visit when the leaves are changing colors. I took exhibit photos yesterday and I'm currently uploading them on zoochat. I always seem to have problem when I upload a bulk of photos, so I'm going to have to take a break for now. I still have photos of the polar bear exhibit, elephant exhibit, baboon exhibit, cougar exhibit, and the orangutan outdoor exhibit.

It looks like there's some changes in the main building. The sloths, tamarins, and other South American animals got moved over to the old coati exhibit. I feel like I'm missing an exhibit on that side of the building because I think the old vulture exhibit is under exhibit to house some new animals, but that leaves the old South American exhibit. Maybe two of the exhibits were combined, I'd have to look again when I return. But I'm sure they'll be news about it in the next zoo newsletter. There's also talk about what they're going to do with the old Arctic Wolf exhibit, but I don't think I'm allowed to say what their plans will be.

6. blospz

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

New lion exhibit coming to Seneca Park Zoo in 2011 | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

The zoo is planning a $4.5 million lion exhibit, complete with 3 lions (2 of which will be genetically vital to AZA as they will be shipped from Africa) and visitors will view the big cats from the safety of the windows on a stationary safari bus. It reminds me of Polar Bear Watch at the Maryland Zoo or the cougar exhibit at Chattanooga Zoo, where visitors enter either an all-terrain vehicle or a train to view the mammals on display.

8. blospz

Interesting! They changed from their original design. It used to be a safari jeep with the front end in the actual lion exhibit which the felines could climb on and then visitors can view them through glass as they sat in the front seat. I like the idea of the bus more having levels and more viewing opportunities for visitors. I hope it does bring more visitors into the zoo. It's funny with this zoo. The further back you go into the zoo, the more new and modern the exhibits are. Save the best for last?

9. blospz

Admiral, the North American River Otter celebrates his 21st birthday next month. He will be the oldest river otter in captivity in the US. :) He's really a smart otter. He didn't learn his trained behaviors until later on in his life. An ad lib I'd always liked to add to his otter demo was, "So you can teach an old otter new tricks."

10. blospz

For Christmas last year, I had someone get me a Seneca Park Zoo animal adoption. It was for the opossum I handled during the stage show the past summer. Well, dear Louise has passed away and I got something different for Christmas. So it was up to me to decide if I myself wanted to purchase/renew an animal adoption. I decided to do it to support the zoo, but to be honest, to still receive the zoo's newsletter. The articles from zoo staff really allow members to know about the changes in the recent future. I just think it's so much more organized and engaging than the Buffalo Zoo's newsletter. On a side note, if anyone is curious what animal I adopted this year, it was Dorothy, the old aged Whited Handed Gibbon. She may be old, but her song is still fresh and beautiful to hear.

But back to the point of this post. Here are some updates for this little zoo:

* Brazilian agoutis and Pied Tamarins are being added to the South American exhibit. The zoo used to have agoutis in this area but all were old and died out. Most people wouldn't think much of the exhibit or really of the horribly outdated main building it resides in. But from what it used to be, it's come a long way. The wall between two exhibits was knocked down making more room for the South American inhabitants. Mulch, dirt, grass, and tree browse has been added to make the exhibit have a more natural look. Apparently there's also a small waterfall in the back corner of the exhibit. The sloths have a hammock and log to hide/sleep in, there's a rope for the tamarins to play with, little enrichment items here and there.

* The serval has been added to the main building right next to the South American exhibit. If I'm thinking of the right area, I don't think it's a very big space, but I have to see it for myself to be sure. But apparently the new change has done her well and she's enjoying her new surroundings and staying warm indoors in the winter. Annie, the serval was one of the stage show/education animals. She used to have an outdoor small cage area behind the education trailer where she used to reside. But she is now one of the exhibit animals and has retired from show biz. ;-)

* The aviary has had some recent sprucing up with new plants and some new birds arriving when the weather gets warmer. Birds they plan to exhibit are fairy bluebirds, white-crested turacos, crested wood partridges, and cape thick-knees. A few new unannounced bird species will be added to the South American exhibit as well.

* In Rocky Coasts, the penguin exhibit is still being remodeled. With a new water chiller and changes in husbandry techniques, the zoo staff is hopeful that the penguins will be swimming more in their new pool. They hardly did before and perhaps the new design will encourage them to do so. The design was decided on when the water filtration system needed to be replaced as there was a small leak in it causing a waste of water. There was a whole debacle about the carelessness of this and how the zoo knew, but I don't even remember the facts and/or opinions. The water chiller will also allow the zoo to house harbor seals to live with the sea lions and there's also talk about acquiring a female sea lion. Ariel passed away a few years ago and it's just been the two male sea lions, Flounder and Puff. I don't really see how all these aquatics mammals are all going to live in this one space, but maybe their exhibit is getting a redesigned too. They hope this project will be done by early summer.

* They have finally announced the wolf species that will be replacing the Arctic Wolves. The zoo will be getting Mexican Wolves. Changes have to be made to the exhibit to safely house these animals, as it was written that they can be known for climbing up fences to escape. They also have a surprise animal that will fill up the space of the old Amur Leopard exhibit. No details are given yet. I'm hoping it is a small animal as the cage is not a very big one, especially for a big cat.

* The elephant exhibit will be spruced up as well. Along with the sand floor added for the elephants inside their barn, sound proofing has been added to reduce the reverberations when people gather to see the elephants inside. More improvements to the barn and yard area are happening so they can eventually acquire another elephant. I think they hope to add a bull to the herd and are making the proper changes to house one. This should take place in early spring and they hope to complete it in autumn.

* Lastly, the biggest project of the year and perhaps in the past several years, the lion exhibit hoping to open in the summer. I'm skeptical they could complete this project so quickly, but perhaps they're going to have a busy winter/spring preparing. The current details of this project can be learned from the link that Snowleopard posted a few days ago.

This little zoo has a long way to go and needs some major renovations, but a thing I admire about the zoo is there's always small changes happening. It may be one exhibit at a time, or an addition of an animal, but they are always in the midst of some type of project.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am very HAPPY about the Mexican wolves arriving!! :)

All in all some nice in-house changes in exhibitry too. Doing well out of it I 'd say.

12. blospz

I was and still am curious how they're going to use the land for the lion exhibit. If you saw it the past couple of years, it's a big hill full of trees that's in the middle of the pathways leading to A Step Into Africa (Phase I). Well, part of my question is answered as they cleared the land of all of its trees. Now this may seem like sad news, but the zoo is big on recycling. They had a status on their facebook today that they are using the remaining parts of the tree for food for animals (not sure how many of the animals eat wood, but perhaps they also meant for enrichment), to make furniture for the zoo (more benches I'm sure), and to cut up into pieces and make mulch for the garden beds.

13. blospz

According to their facebook page, the Emus have moved to the old Wallaby exhibit. Apparently the two adult Wallabies, Yaboo and Pocket, passed away this winter. They hope in the future to get new wallabies to mix into the exhibit with the emus. On one hand, the zoo is doing a nice job separating their exhibits geographically; it never made sense to have the emus in the Rocky Coasts section. On the other hand, the emus had a very nice, lush exhibit to roam in. Now they are in dusty small exhibit.

However with the old emu exhibit now empty, I'm quite curious what's to become of it. I have asked the zoo on facebook and I hope to get a response soon. What I wish would happen is they would expand the sea lion exhibit. They plan to acquire seals and another sea lion and I don't think the current exhibit would be big enough for all of them. This would give them more space. But I'm not certain this will happen as most of the zoo's money is going towards the new lion exhibit. I'm very curious to see what will happen.

For those unfamiliar with the zoo, here are links to the exhibits:

Emu Exhibit

Sea Lion Exhibit with Emu Exhibit in the Background

Sea Lion Pools

Wallaby Exhibit/New Emu Exhibit

14. blospz

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

16. blospz

An upgrade of the exhibit right now would be perfect as that area is closed off because of the new lion exhibit being built. I'm not sure about this. I don't want the zoo to lose its AZA accreditation and I think they've been making small changes for the better all this year, but I don't if this is going to happen. Looking at comments, people in Rochester don't want an elephant exhibit upgrade because
    a) It cost them more money
    b) They don't want to expand beyond its current limits (even thought they said the changes would keep the exhibit the same size)
    c) People find the elephants are depressed and need to go to a sanctuary
    d) Older exhibits, like the primate house, should get first dibs as the zoo did improve the elephant exhibit a few years ago.

With a need for a third elephant or if they reexamined the Main Building (primate exhibits), I'm not sure if the zoo is going to pass its inspection. So sad.

17. blospz

The reopening of the African Penguin exhibit is tomorrow. Also, the opening of the Lion exhibit has been pushed back until next year. The expect a completion in the winter and a grand opening in the spring.

18. blospz

An excerpt from the zoo's latest press release:

"Spring Break will also give visitors a chance to say farewell to one of our most beloved animals. Datu, the Zoo’s male Bornean orangutan, will be venturing off to the Henry Vilas Zoo in Madison, Wisconsin, as part of a breeding recommendation from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums Species Survival Plan (SSP). The SSP is a management program that maintains a healthy and sustainable population of endangered species.

“While we are sad to see Datu leave, we are excited to know he will be in a wonderful place to start a new life building his family,” said Larry Sorel, County Zoo Director.
    Once in Wisconsin, Datu will be introduced to a female orangutan to begin a new phase of his life. When you say goodbye to Datu visit with his mother Kumang and sister Dara, who will remain here at the Zoo."

Judging from the limited photos of the orangs habitat I've seen on zoochat, it doesn't look like poor Datu is getting an upgrade in terms of exhibit. Except the one at the Henry Vilas looks like it has more climbing structures. Do the apes have access to the outside? The Seneca Park Zoo may not have the best outdoor orangutan exhibit, but at least they have something.

19. blospz

Going through a flickr search, it does look like Henry Vilas Zoo has a small outdoor exhibit for the orangutans. And it actually has grass in it so it actually will be an upgrade for Datu. Well, I hope he enjoys his new home and has excellent keepers to take care of him.

20. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Bronx Zoo Has A Baby Zebra Foal.
    The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo's African Elephant Crossing Opens Tomorrow (May 5th, 2011)