Join our zoo community

Seneca Park Zoo Seneca Park Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 14 May 2010.

1. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, And I Belive They Also Currently Have A Group Of Orangs

2. iluvwhales

They Need To Expand The Exhibit And Get A Male

3. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. iluvwhales

5. blospz

6. blospz

7. blospz

Introducing some new little ones to the Zoo! Keeper Blog

I know a couple years ago the baboons were on birth control because they didn't want to increase the number of their group. But I'm guessing now with some of the younger females now in sexual maturity, they are breeding them again.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice to see another US zoo devote attention to the rarest wolf subspecies within North America!

Private thoughts:
    Sadly, one wolf subspecies which is under an as yet dangerous precedent and - shamelessly so - fully lacking in adequate protective measures for the tiny and precarious wild population(s) - part of a said recovery programme (where shooting is allowed) - by the USFWS.

9. blospz

Last week they had Night at the Zoo. As a treat for guests, who haven't had a chance to see the elephants up close for months due to the African section being renovated for the new Lion exhibit, they got to see them in their old habit in the front of the zoo. The white rhinos currently reside there and must have been inside to make room. It's true the exhibit is not adequate for the elephants, but for a few hours for one night, it's fine. I just thought this was a neat idea, not only for guests who have missed seeing them, but for the elephants as well. I wonder if they remember their old exhibit since elephants have such good memories. Plus the smell of the white rhinos must have been fun enrichment for them.

10. blospz

The zoo plans to complete the original concept for the Elephant exhibit before they rushed it in 2005 due to the pending birth of Genny C's calf.

County Zoo Director Larry Sorel says,"As a bonus, since 2005 when the original design was done, there have been advances in Elephant Exhibit design and elephant care that will be incorporated into the final construction. While the inside of the barn will have two new stalls, as we originally anticipated, the floors for those stalls will be sand rather than rubber coated and heated. New thought indicates that over time this is even better for the elephant's feet and joints. Also, we will be changing the configuration of the yards to allow us greater management flexibility for a broader range of ages and gender of the elephant collection. We will now have three yards, two on exhibit and one off, all of which will be able to hold adult females or males as well as younger animals of either gender. This maximizes our options for keeping elephants in Rochester as we strive to support the population of elephants in North America. A canopy will be added to the front of the barn to provide additional shade for the elephants and to improve its visual impact, a larger, rather plain wall."

Education features will also be added to the exhibit.

11. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

I wonder if Genny C. will be bred again with the new enclosure?

12. blospz

After the removal of her first calf, she's unable to ever give birth again. And Lilac never cycled so she's also unable to have a baby.

13. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Genny C's calf was removed? I thought she just had a still birth! Was the fetus male or female?

14. blospz

She went into labor and three and half hours later, they knew the baby was not alive, while still in the birth canal. So I believe they removed the baby from her. She has a nasty scar from it on her backside.

15. blospz

It’s all about the details now

In the article is a photo of the new shade structure added to the elephant exhibit. It was also designed to make the plain wall more appealing. I honestly don't think they achieved their goal with what they ended up with...

16. blospz

17. blospz

Updates:

Seneca Park Zoo gets grant for new buildings | Democrat and Chronicle | democratandchronicle.com

I was hoping money going towards buildings meant the main building that houses the primates/apes. But working in the education department for a summer, I know the staff and animals are in a small trailer and both could definitely use more room!

Also, four Sandhill Cranes came from Sea World Orlando. They are currently in the old emu exhibit in the Rocky Coasts section. Although the emus got placed in a worst exhibit, I do think Sandhill Cranes are more appropriate in this section. According to the newsletter, all of the birds are non-releaseable with three have wing injuries and the other one having a beak injury. Future roosting posts are being added to incorporate more bird species in the exhibit.

18. blospz

I visited the zoo yesterday. It was a short visit as I had to drive back home that day. However, the zoo desperately needs their African section to open soon because it's already so small, you can see everything in like 45 minutes. I was able to peek a little at the new area and it looks really nice. It was hard with trees in the way, but it will definitely be the best section of the zoo.

Some updates:
    * The serval has moved to the Utica Zoo.
    * The old leopard and lynx cages now have a Peregrine falcon, raccoons, and turkey vultures.
    * The female polar was off exhibit and a docent mentioned how she was showing signs of denning. This is a common behavior for her, though, so time will tell if she actually has a cub.
    * The new young male orangutan has been mating with the older female, who is 32. I always assumed, or read he was supposed to be paired with the young female when she became sexually mature. However, this is the last chance for the older female to have babies and they want her daughter to observe her to see what it's like to be a mother. So the young female is on birth control for the time being.

19. blospz

20. blospz

Information Taken from the zoo's 2012 spring newsletter, ZooNooz:

* A fourth eagle will be added to Genesee Trails.
    * A pair of Parma wallabies will be added to the emu exhibit.
    * A female snowy owl is on display in Rocky Coasts.
    * Goats will be added in the Maasai Village.