Join our zoo community

September Photo Showcasing

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Julio C Castro, 1 Sep 2020.

1. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/albums/september-photo-showcasing.35/

I hope everyone has been safe and healthy during these dire times, and a happy September to everyone! It’s that time again and here are the rules as always:

1. 4 entries per month.
    2. They can upload photos that can be found in the regular gallery if they’d like to.
    3. Photos don’t have to necessarily have to be from the month aforementioned in the title although it can take some time to develop photos.
    4. It must be photos we consider our best work meaning not blurry or potentially boring such as an animal butt as said before.
    5. To have the photos be of different subjects per month although they can be of the same subject the following month as long as all the entries for the month aren’t of the same one. Example such as 4 entries of the same specie.
    6. Photos aren’t strictly limited to zoological gardens. They can be from sanctuaries, aquariums, nature reserves, etc.
    7. Do try your best to add where they were taken either in the description or by adding tags.

I’ve been seeing many wonderful submissions to the album and was wondering how anyone would feel about us making a thread to showcase some of the photos we liked from fellow contributors by the end of the year. It would be 3 photos, maybe even give a small reason as to what you loved about it so much. Let me know what you think and/or if it’s something a majority of us would want to do. This is a team effort as always! :)

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Still love seeing all the great photos. Thanks again for starting this.

3. Julio C Castro

thank you to everyone who contributed and adds so many wonderful photos every month, such a plethora of styles and subjects that I love seeing from our regular contributors as well newcomers :D

Arizona Docent likes this.
  4. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I too want to thank you again, and love seeing all the wonderful photos. I've learned a lot just from viewing them. I was thinking along the same lines as you that a year end review (not a contest) of some of our favorites would be nice. 3 seems about the right number to me, although it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to pick just 3.

I don't think I'll have time to get any new zoo photos this month. I'm leaving on a 3 week road/camping trip in a few days to the National Parks in Southern Colorado and Utah. I might get some wildlife photos. Although these parks are not known for wildlife, there is some there. I've been doing this every September for the last 3 or 4 years. Trying to visit as many national parks as I can while I'm still able. I do have some wildlife photos from previous trips I'll probably post.

Now that I think about it, I will be going thru Oklahoma City and I might be able to work in some time for quick visit at the OKC Zoo.

5. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've not contributed to these Photo Showcasings and given my camera I probably won't for a long time but I just wanted to say I really enjoy seeing all your guys's wonderful photos each month.

6. Arizona Docent

@RetiredToTheZoo I know you said not a contest, but typically someone on ZooChat does an annual contest where people nominate and then vote (from a dozen or so nominations) on their favorite photo uploaded that year. It is open to any photo not just from the monthly showcase (which in fact did not exist before this year). However I imagine some users will rely on the monthly showcase for their nominations for 2020.

7. Julio C Castro

@RetiredToTheZoo if you manage to get some cool wildlife photos, upload them on the thread :) they don’t have to be zoos or aquariums where they are taken, just try to tag the location of where it was taken. I can bump the number to something we can all agree and yes it’s not really a contest if people are to showcase what photos they admire from fellow contributors.

@Hipporex I’m glad you enjoy viewing our gallery and a huge thank you to all of our contributors who bring so many styles and approaches!

@Arizona Docent I think I’ve seen what you mentioned about some photos being nominated at the end of the year, I saw a thread like that I think in December of last year. Would that be something we’d all wanna do similar to? We don’t have to do a year end thread but just wanted to throw it out to see what photos we enjoyed from our fellow contributors:)

8. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please, don't let your camera restrict you from contributing if you want to. The camera used really doesn't matter, whether it's a 12 exp. disposable, a phone, the latest most advanced digital, or anything in between. The best camera in the world is always the one you have with you.

9. Arizona Docent

@Julio C Castro can do a separate contest if you like. My opinion (and it's just an opinion) is that it is unnecessary as it would overlap with the standard contest, which I assume will draw heavily from the monthly showcase. Of course we won't know until it happens, it's just a hunch.

10. Julio C Castro

Very well said :cool:

11. Julio C Castro

Maybe you’re right and it would just be a mess if attempted, maybe quite a few of us will be nominated :) It’s almost like Academy Awards for the best picture and in this case taken literally :D

Arizona Docent likes this.
  12. Julio C Castro