Join our zoo community

ZSL Whipsnade Zoo Serious incident

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 19 Nov 2014.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hope the guy recovers okay.

From the reports it says he was found 'in water' indicating it may have been in the newer Asian Rhino house, but presumably more details will be released
    to confirm or refute that.

3. Nisha

More details now starting to emerge:

Man seriously injured after incident with rhino at Whipsnade zoo | World news | The Guardian

Zookeeper injured at Whipsnade zoo by rhinoceros - Telegraph

From BBC:
    A zookeeper has been taken to hospital after being found with serious injuries in an enclosure following an "incident involving a rhino".

The man, in his 50s, was taken to hospital from Whipsnade Zoo, in Bedfordshire, at about 09:30 GMT.

The keeper was found by colleagues in water at the zoo with injuries to the chest, abdomen and pelvis.

A spokesman for Magpas Helimedix Air Ambulance said the man had suffered "serious injuries".

Paramedics took measures to keep him warm as his body temperature had dropped considerably after being immersed in the water.

He was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital, where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

A zoo spokeswoman said: "At approximately 08:15 GMT an injured keeper was found by other members of staff in an enclosure.

"Emergency services were immediately called. The keeper was treated by paramedics at the scene and has been taken to hospital."

BBC News - Man seriously injured in Whipsnade Zoo 'rhino incident'

4. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Latest BBC report confirms it was in Asian Rhino enclosure.

Fingers crossed he makes a full and fast recovery.

5. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

According to the Daily Mail, the rhino involved was Ajang. I also made the mistake of reading the comments section of the article.

6. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

I so hate tabloids.:mad:
    All the online headlines today have the word "attacked" in them. An animal the size of an Indian rhino would just have to brush against someone to do serious damage. Lets hope that it was just an accident,the keeper makes a full recovery and no action is taken against the rhino in question.

7. Montana119

Montana119 Member

Does anyone know if it is Whipsnade policy to use protected contact with rhinos?
    Prayers for the zookeeper.

8. Pertinax

I don't know*, but Asian rhinos are usually amazingly docile in captivity. They will often allow foot and other examinations, petting and stroking and even ocassional ones tolerate someone riding on them- not that that is often done. Ajang is one of the younger rhinos, so might have become skittish- but really only the injured keeper can relate exactly what happened here.

*well perhaps I do- I think in the recent ITV series an Asian rhino was featured with the keeper actually in with it- so presumably the answer is no.

9. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

In the Telegraph article I notice that typically PETA have jumped on the anti-zoo bandwagon saying that " it was 100% preventable" etc...etc

These incidents are incredibly rare, but obviously there is always a risk when it comes to working closely with wild animals as we know.

10. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Didn't take them long!

As stated, incidents like this are VERY rare. Afaik, the keepers do not go in with the rhinos. It may be an example of a partition not being properly locked or a brush-aside as the rhino walked past.

But let's not speculate-the keeper in question is now out of surgery and "stable" according to ZSL.

11. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

it was shocking to hear this but though he must never try to go in with the rhino or terrible things may happen

12. woody505

woody505 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I hope the reports it took 75 mins for paramedics to turn up are wrong

13. Nisha

A short statement issued by ZSL this morning confirms the keeper in question is now in a stable condition. Fingers crossed for him

14. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Hope the keeper gets well soon

I can’t help thinking why did it take 75 minutes for the keeper to be taken to hospital I know it states they did everything they could while they were waiting for the air ambulance to arrive but why so long?

Another question that comes to mind is why there are no outcries on here about safety as there would have been if this had happened at another certain collection?

What was he doing in with the Rhino’s by himself surely there should have been at least 2 keepers, if not in the enclosure there should surely have been a second one just outside just in case?

15. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps the lack of outcry is because we don't yet know what happened here, and that Whipsnade has a good safety record previously?

16. Pertinax

It crossed my mind too. Probably because there is no catalogue of accidents here, it was an isolated incident, the first major one here since the Chimp escape some years ago. Most Zoos do suffer these sort of accidents occassionally, but some more than others. Not just in UK, the American & European forums/news sections frequently show quite serious incidents at different zoos too. Gorilla escapes, tiger maulings, child killed by Hunting Dogs etc.

17. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

ZSL.......

Unless I'm much mistaken, this is the second keeper injured by an Indian Rhino at one of the ZSL sites in its history of getting on for 200 years. This surely is a pretty good safety record with the species.

18. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I noted that and put a comment on the comment section, at the time only 5 people had, and non against the zoo. I suppose all the AA supporters will be told to get on line and voice their anger, against zoo's in general, they never miss a chance to condemn zoo keeping so in my opinion it's up to zoo chatters to do the opposite, and to comment in support of zoos and their good works.

19. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

These are understandable queries. But until the keeper concerned is conscious and able to say what happened, we simply can't comment any further than to wish the chap a swift and full recovery.

20. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I agree they have a brilliant safety record what I was trying to say was that the keeper entered a Rhino enclosure by him self (by reports) surely against the zoos own safety procedures if not why not?

As I said if this had happened at another certain zoo this thread would have been full of safety concerns whether it was the first incident or not and whether people knew the truth or not.

These are just questions and not meant to cause offence or argument with anyone.