Join our zoo community

Werribee Open Range Zoo servals

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 13 Jan 2010.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Depends on the quality of public transport. Also I can't say anything about cities overseas but Australian cities are very spreadout. You can't always live near where you work for instance. (Or if you are like me and have several places where you could be working work on any given day scattered over the city)
    I agree with all five ideas that you have listed, I'm just trying to point out that they aren't always practical and I would say that a lot of people are going to say "why bother"

Last edited: 16 Jan 2010
  2. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

jay.

no matter how difficult your life (or that of any other australians) gets, i can say with certainty that we don't work that hard and we certainly don't struggle.

and thats all i'm going to say. because you are my e-friend and i really REALLY disagree with everything you have said in so, so many ways.

3. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jay is totally right in many aspects.

They are all brilliant ideas. but especially for Australians can be very difficult to put into place. alright for you suburbanites.

Phoenix. Australians are among the hardest workers in the world. this is where the inspiration for the new show no leave no life came from.

I live in a town of 200 people. all 40 kms from the nearest city, I also live 200 kms away from my main job.

As I said they are great ideas. Not shooting you down at all. but you go west of ant capital city and you will find that the effort involved in being green in those ideas mentioned outweighs peoples PERCEIVED benefits for being green.

However having said that I try to do my bit in other ways.
    There's nothing I can do about the 200 km drive to work as I am a casual in what is a low paying industry. and public transport is limited to the xpt once a day.

But I was told today that one of my favourite clothing companies has teamed up with a pro surfer to produce ecofriendly clothiong. I was told about board shorts made entirely out of recycled PET bottles. and they look awesome.

I also give out as many of the TSCA's mobile phone recycling bags etc.

Generally (and I'm sure the majority of users here do not fall in to this category) people will not act on something unless displeased or it is directly beneficial to them personally. I.e. people don't fill out evaluations or surveys unless displeased with the service. This does apply to other areas such as conservation.

4. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

So....... has anyone actually done the serval encounter at Werribee yet?

5. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2016