Join our zoo community

Sewerby Zoo Sewerby Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Macaw16, 9 May 2015.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I visited Sewerby Zoo for the first time (except for a visit when I wasn't even 1!), I didn't really know what to expect from here. What I did know it was quite small. By quite small I mean you could do it in 20 minutes, I spent a lot longer than this and I'm sure most ZooChatters would spend longer, in total I spent about one and a half hours in the zoo and two hours at the estate. The admission cost was £10 in total for me and my Dad (£4 for me and £6 for my dad). I did this zoo after a visit to RSPB Bempton Cliffs (I will upload photos to the UK Wildlife gallery), and I did both comfortably with plenty of time at both. The zoo is part of a much larger estate with House, Gardens, Putting Green, Play Area etc. The admission cost covers all of this, so is fairly reasonable. I would definitely recommend a visit to the cafe, because I had a very nice (if a little dry) piece of Victoria Sandwich (sponge) Cake.

The Zoo
    The zoo is quite a nice little collection, but is all very functional and not designed to be aesthetically pleasing (such as concrete ponds, simple wooden aviary's). You enter through a short corridor into a court yard type area. One of the first things you see is a reasonably sized aviary for several species of passerines, Diamond Doves, Quail and an unidentified species of tortoise. Near this is a rather nice glass fronted enclosure for Degu, I at first didn't notice this as it was on the wall you entered through. It had large piles of logs and the bottom was sand (I think :eek:). Their is a building (not sure whats inside) with an are for pigeons in the roof space. You come across a good sized aviary for Eclectus Parrots, I couldn't see it very well as it was in its inside area, so I could see it through its door in. This is part of the stable area. Further down in the stables are two enclosures for Kunekune Pigs, one boar in one and two sows in the other. The sows were in a separate paddock when we arrived. These were just fairly basic sty's. On the end of the stable block is an aviary for Blue and Yellow Macaws and a species of pheasant (forgotten the species). Down from here you can go down a row of aviary's or towards the penguin pool. In the aviary's to the left are, Golden Pheasant, Ring-tailed Lemurs, Reeve's Pheasant, Himalayan Monal and Temminck's Tragopan, all have nice aviary's for the species inside them. The lemur enclosure contains a very large, dead tree trunk and other climbing apparatus. On the Right are, two aviary's for Princess of Wales Parakeet and Red-masked Conure. Carrying on there is a decent sized enclosure for three Alpaca (two adults and one young one). There is also a paddock with plentiful climbing opportunities for Goats and Somali Sheep. In between the paddocks is a converted building to an aviary for a very large group of Cockatiels. Further down is an interesting paddock for two Llama. The is a large walkthrough aviary, connected to this is another aviary for an unidentified pheasant species. The walkthrough aviary has a couple of large ponds and a few bushes, and overall is quite basic. I personally found it quite muddy! With in the aviary are Blue Peafowl (2 seen), a lot of duck species (please ask if you want a list), Red-breasted Geese and an unidentified Pheasant species. Now I will rewind back to the turn off for the penguins! The Humboldt Penguin pool was a very nice pool I thought and you could get in touching distance of the penguins. It only has a very low wall. When we got there they were all very close up so I got some quite close up photos. The pool has a beach area, a large (and surprisingly clean) pool, a grassy area, bushes, rocks and a few large sleeping boxes. We went to the feeding, which wasn't really a talk, but the keeper did tell us a lot about their penguins. Sadly, they are all terrified of Herring Gulls, so had to be hand fed instead of in their pool. Once you've finished at the penguins, you come across a goo sized aviary for Budgerigars. Annoyingly all were inside, so I could only see them through the small opening to their house. Next you see a decent sized, and heavily planted enclosure for White-fronted Capuchin. Next you see the basic paddock for Kunekune Pigs. Next to the paddock, their is an aviary (yes aviary!) for two Raccoon Dogs, it was a spacious and nice enclosure for this species. You soon come across a large, grassy enclosure for Guinea Pigs. It is one of the best I've seen!

Paddocks
    Else where there are paddocks for Shetland Pony's, Llamas, Shetland Sheep and Sika Deer, although I could't find them!

That sums up the zoo, I would recommend a visit, but I wouldn't go a long way for it. You could pair it up with a visit to RSPB Bempton Cliffs, like I did, or probably Filey Bird Garden (never visited myself). I personally quite enjoyed my visit. I will upload photos soon.

Feel free to ask any questions!

2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review.

You need to look at the Zoochat gallery - I'm not sure anybody could not know what to expect had they done so, given that Parrots Andrew has furnished us with pictures of every fence, sign, pile of straw, drain and even abandoned cushion. It's a rather wonderful archive!

Incidentally, I know you're a bit of a stickler for spelling and grammar - http://www.zoochat.com/25/angry-post-405456/ - so you might want to review your use of apostrophes (not needed to denote plurals, so it's "aviaries" rather than "aviary's", for example), and the difference between "there" and "their".

3. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Did you spot Parrotsandrew there? He hasn't posted for some time and I'd been thinking that someone should be despatched to check up on him.

4. Macaw16

I don't think so.

Sooty mangabey: I'm sorry about my awful spellings and grammar :eek: I really should learn more about apostrophes! Also have a better read through.

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Having mentioned him above, I was just thinking the same thing: he's not been on the forum for a month. I do hope he is okay!

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Probably no one would have commented had you not complained about other people first...;)

7. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Here I am making a rare (at the moment) visit to the site and discovering Macaw16's review! I am well thank-you, just too busy to get on the site (I do have some more photos from Sewerby to post at some point plus those two visits to Flamingo Land).

A few quick points :-

The Fantail Pigeons have access to the whole of the building Macaw16 mentions.

Eckie's aviary used to be the monkey exhibit.

Edwards's (as I'd spell it) Pheasants are in with the Macaws, with Silvers in the Walk-through Aviary. The Tortoises are Hermann's I think.

The sheep in the zoo is a Cameroon not a Somali, although the latter has been mentioned as a possibility although it is not looking likely at the moment. Unfortunately Florrie the elder Cameroon died at Easter, leaving just Bramble.

A pair of Barraband's Parakeets shares with the currently lone Princess of Wales.

Work has commenced on an extension to the Raccoon Dog exhibit (it used to hold Rabbits and Guinea Pigs); the size will be doubled.

Macaw16, do you mean you could not find the actual paddocks (which is how I read it) or just the Formosan Sika Deer? There are three entrance sites to the park, with B and C boxes being next to the paddocks area but A box (the least used) is up by the golf course.

Oh, and there is a Bourke's Parakeet in with the Budgerigars.

8. Macaw16

Thank you Parrotsandrew. I don't know why I put Somali Sheep, just my brain being silly, I found the Sheep, Ponies and Llama, but not the Sika Deer, as we entered near the golf (I think). I'm glad they're extending the Raccoon Dogs, as it is a little small. Were Llamas (the pair in the zoo) always in their paddock, as it didn't seem like something you would build for Llama? Anyway, I'm sure I saw two Cameroon Sheep, not one. Why was the male Silver Pheasant on his own in a separate aviary, away from the female? Any help is appreciated :)

9. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Hello Macaw16, apologies for another late reply.

The deer are in the paddock on the clifftop outside of the park itself. In years gone by they used to winter there and be in the paddock by the main drive in summer. In those days that paddock had a 6' high chainlink fence, but since the current fence was installed the deer must stay on the clifftop. The footpath between the paddocks was sunken then too, with a bridge connecting the paddocks. Wallabies had free range between both paddocks.

Where the Llamas are in the zoo used to be an area for visitors to relax - it had the waterfall and seats (you can still see the enclaves for some of these). Eventually it was converted into a paddock and has held a variety of species e.g. Wallabies, Rheas, Ponies, Alpacas etc. Brenda and Alana the Llamas arrived last year and have been in there since then. Other Llamas have been in there before.

Florrie, the elder Cameroon Sheep (she and Bramble arrived from Twycross in 2005), died on Good Friday.

The fairly newly arrived cock Silver Pheasant has been moved to the end of the aviary as he had been a bit of a nuisance harrying less robust birds. At least one of the hens is on eggs hence they are still in the main part of the aviary.