Join our zoo community

Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve Shambala Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ClaireM, 26 Mar 2012.

1. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

So reading the whole thread, the missing link seems to be transport from Kuranda to the zoo, and advertising? So in other words, all that is really needed to get more people to the zoo is to purchase a bus (or get a local bus company to do it for you) to shuttle people from the train, and then return, and get the word out there all about the zoo?

That doesn't seem too difficult?

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I imagine there's a whole lot more than that which needs fixing, but for those two examples you need money, which they don't appear to have any of. Advertising is expensive, and the purchase and upkeep on buses (you'd need more than one) is expensive. An ideal first step though is the one mentioned earlier where they enter into an agreement with one or more tour companies to include them on their itineraries - the tour companies take a percentage but otherwise it shouldn't cost the zoo extra to do that.

3. Rough

Rough Well-Known Member

They are no longer members of the ZAA

4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What does that mean for the various animals that have been transferred to or from Cairns? I think a Sumatran tiger, cheetahs and siamangs have gone there, and at least one pygmy hippo has come to Melbourne?

It's another massive blow to the ill-starred pygmy hippo program. That really can't catch a break.

5. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Otters, bears and servals also.

6. CGSwans

Where are the servals from? The otters and bears will remain, I suspect. Both were there even before the ZAA membership I think, as unwanted surplus animals.

7. Jarkari

I believe mogo. but that could be wrong. Sally Padey was up there a few weeks ago giving the new owner some advice.

8. Jarkari

How many times have they been a ZAA member. David Gill was.an ARAZPA member originally. Then Jenny Jattke which is when the otters, servals and mogos bears and Australia zoos tiger arrived.

9. zoogirl76

zoogirl76 Member

They are members of ZAA, if they are not listed it is just due to the change of ownership.

There will be no change to the status of any of the animals, all are well looked after where they are & will only be moving as part of ZAA breeding programs.

10. Jarkari

Out of curiosity What animals are there that are involved in ZAA programs? Not sure how wanted Lions will be from there. i remember reading ages ago there were questions raised about the legitimacy of the information on the import papers with regards to genetics. Does anyone know the history of these lions prior to mareeba.

11. crocodile_dan

crocodile_dan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The previous owner (Jenny) didn't renew the ZAA membership and it lapsed, at the time of Elaine taking over the zoo were not members, regaining membership was a main priority for her though. This information was told to me directly from Elaine in March. This information was unknown to the head keeper who overheard our conversation, so unless Elaine was mistaken they didn't have membership as of March 2012, I am unsure of any developments.

Rereading my first post it did not come across as I was meaning. During my visit they were in the initial steps of sourcing beef and horse and I had expected by now this was in effect. I was unsure about the hay and resided my statement to allow for the fact it was purchased. So thanks for clarifying zoogirl.

However, based on my personal conversation with Elaine I am hesitant to assume they are purchasing meat (unless her negotiations were less than successful), as she was quite determined to source donations of horse or beef at the very most in exchange for an annual pass (which was the deal done for a horse that was being delivered the following day from my visit). I know the owner of Mogo Zoo visited Shambala shortly after my visit to "she will come with me (Elaine) to farms around the area to negotiate some cows for the zoo." Again I reside myself to the possibility she ended up purchasing beef or horse for the zoo if she was unable to negotiate donations of such, which from your comment zoogirl I gather is what has occurred.

My visit to the zoo made it apparent there is a lack of communication between staff, Elaine's understanding was different to the 'head' keeper and that had then differed again to another keeper.

PS I am not having a go at Elaine or Shambala if that is how I come across. As I said before I do hope they are able to make the zoo a successful operation :)

12. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

Hey Guys,

I am a newbie, I am hoping for some in site, I know Shambala/ Cairns Wildlife Safari Park is back on the market, if this fails Elaine plans to shut it down and move the animals to other Zoo's. I know this as I have spoke to one of the people thinking about buying it off her.
    Can you tell me what this Zoo needs to make it?
    Can it be saved?
    Can it grow its' Displays?
    At what cost to grow the amount of Displays and Animals.

I have told my friend it's a lost cause.

Thanks in advance,

BigCatMan

13. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

Hey Guys,

I am a newbie, I am hoping for some in site, I know Shambala/ Cairns Wildlife Safari Park is back on the market, if this fails Elaine plans to shut it down and move the animals to other Zoo's. I know this as I have spoke to one of the people thinking about buying it off her.
    Can it be saved?

I have told my friend it's a lost cause. Is it?

Thanks in advance,

BigCatMan

14. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

Hey Guys,

Can it be saved?

I have told my friend it's a lost cause.

Thanks in advance,

BigCatMan

15. CGSwans

Assuming this is true and it is being sold yet again, then you told your friend truly. It is a lost cause. The business has failed three times now under three different owners. In the eyes of banks, it surely lacks credibility as a potentially viable operation.

At best its future is as a rich person's expensive hobby.

16. BarneysGirl

BarneysGirl New Member

Where is the sale listed? What is the asking price??

17. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

18. Rough

Rough Well-Known Member

Park is not for sale, this is an error on the part of the real estate agents. Elaine has not indicated in any way that she will shut the park down, its early days give the woman a chance to shine, though she does need to change a few staff, I think with the right people she can really make the park work. Thats Shambala's biggest problem is the same staff however given recent advertisements she is looking for a new manager I hope she makes some better choices and listens to the community instead of some bitter ex-employees.

19. Jarkari

There are a few old adverts still online. note it says CWSR not shambala. She has only been at it a few months. hopefully she has taken on the advice of Sally Padey and can turn the place around. Given location is a bit of an issue i think accommodation would be a good way for her to go.

20. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

There are quite a few new members specifically posting on this thread. I wonder what their link to Shambala is, and whether they have axes to grind ......