Join our zoo community

Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve Shambala Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ClaireM, 26 Mar 2012.

1. crocodile_dan

crocodile_dan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

nanoboy: I believe your comment includes me. I would not personally say I have a "link" to Shambala, but my "link" is I visited the park for the entire day and had personal conversations with Elaine and two (out of five) other staff that were there on the day.

How then do I have the information I do? I have a VERY weak link to some of the residents that now reside there so naturally I was more than curious about the zoo (present and future plans), also those people I talked to were more than willing to discuss many aspects of the zoo even without my provocation.

I do not have an axe to grind, personally I have always and will always wish them success (mainly because I know some of the residents). Secondly, Elaine is a lawyer, everything I have said is true to my best recollection and started by trying to answer a Question, I am aware of possible ramifications of publicly sharing untruths (specifically if it can be classed as defamation) when a lawyer owns the facility you are talking about and even more so when some extra cash wouldn't go a stray.

If I did have an axe to grind I would have shared other things that I know, the reason I didn't is because from my opinion they are truely trying to make the zoo a good place for animals and people. AGAIN I wish them nothing but the best!

PS I didn't mean for my initial posts to be so negative or confronting, I hope to contribute to this forum for many years more positively :)

2. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

It's all good.

I look forward to reading your contributions to other threads. There are loads of other fascinating topics here that might interest you, from photography to wildlife conservation to zoo design. Welcome!

3. crocodile_dan

Thanks nanoboy, I've been looking through this forum on and off for the last year so thought I'd sign up and contribute where I can. This site is fast becoming my "go to" when I'm looking for things to do :)

4. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The original lion stock was imported from West Midlands Safari Park in the UK whilst Mareeba was still under the ownership of David Gill. The pure Sumatran Tiger (that was kept at DG's UK park, South Lakes until then) arrived in the same shipment

5. Zoos Int

Zoos Int Well-Known Member

Just got back from a visit to SHAMBALA ANIMAL KINGDOM?Formerly the Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve .I must say the property is very nice indeed ..Ok its had an ominous past and checkered history with previous owners .I met Elaine and Peter Harrison . The most genuine and positive people you'd want to be caring for a Zoo and taking it into the next phase .The animals were all in very good condition ,very ,very well fed ..I don't mean too much , i mean of very nice quality produce and meats . The staff were most helpful and surprisingly knowledgeable .The only comment i have to make is Zoo needs more zoos to join hands with her and start working as one .The Harrison's are sound people and looking very long term indeed for this project .They have great plans and not pipe dreams . If any of you are working @ or owning Zoos that would like to swap animals or perhaps have excess of stock that could help Shambala Animal Kingdom in Cairns . They have in the Carnivores

Syrian Brown Bear x 3
    Cheetah x 1
    Bengal Tiger x 2
    Sumatran Tiger x1 x 1 cross Bengal / Sumatran
    Lion x maybe 30 ...
    Asian Small-clawed Otter x 2
    Serval x 1

Ungulates

Hippo x 2
    Pygmy Hippo x3 ,1 baby Male 1 x pregnant fm and 1 x Male ( These Hippos must have the best enclosure ive seen in a long time ..Clean water ,nice areas for a Bloat to bask ..
    White Rhino x 1 ..In pretty good condition and again ,well looked after .
    Rusa deer
    Chital deer
    Alpaca

Primates

Ring-Tailed Lemur x 2
    Japanese Macaque x 2
    Sulawesi Macaque x 1
    Siamang x2
    Spider Monkey x2 The Primate habitats are very well built and well displayed for the animals . Some Primates are a bit long in the tooth and could certainly do with a joint breeding program with other zoos or parks . All this being said ,well cared for ,nice night enclosures and very clean spacious cages .

Birds

Ostrich
    Galah

Reptiles

Woma python
    Blue-tongued skink
    Bearded dragon
    Day gecko
    Green iguana
    Saw-shelled turtle

This park has huge scope and much land to expand on ..I spent a few days in Cairns , a couple days at this park ..Just seeing how it all flowed and what all the gossip id heard over the years about various happenings . I read your posts its a bit off the beaten track .Guess we all know having a Zoo in the middle of town soon gets out grown by humans . The cafe and restaurant were all opened and the Breakfast with the Lions was a treat for the many guests this morning . I cant fault this place ,only that it needs a few more animals and collections for breeding ..This is all in the pipe line as its only been in the hands of the new owners since January 2012 . Ive not written this for any thing more than to say lets get behind this Zoo and help them take it to the next level . I know Elaine was at ZAA conference at Dream World last week ..Making new contacts and seeking a clear way forwards with this project . I hope all of us who read this can perhaps be happy and positive to help this zoo and its new owners make make a great home for the animals ,educate the public and create breeding programs for endangered animals ..

steveroberts likes this.
  6. Zoos Int

Just to add to my findings and facts .... They have no plans to sell this park and move the animals to other parks ,far from it ..In fact the opposite ,they want to expand on what they have and work on serious breeding and conservation programs .The house and some land adjoining the property was in Elaines mind to sell at one stage ..I believe this may not happening in light of a very nice business plan and foresight of the parks future . All my information is first hand and very accurate.Hope this answers a few questions .

7. crocodile_dan

Are you sure they only had 2 Common Hippo? If so what happened to the third?

Is the female pygmy hippo pregnant at present? Great news if so :) And yes I agree their enclosure is magnificent.

Thanks for the update, by the sounds of it they have succeeded in their efforts with the diets which is fantastic and was probably my main issue at that time. I'm very pleased with the information you have provided, Shambala have my full support and I can't wait for their prosperous future :)

Cheers
    Daniel

8. Zoos Int

Hi Daniel ,
    Im not one to gloss the truth nor give credit where its not due .I have seen a very genuine couple in Elaine and Peter ,dedicated and no hidden agenda for what they are about to achieve . They cant build this project alone ..Ive built and rebuild many zoos from ground up ..When i say I ,I really mean we (my staff) ..It takes an entire team and community both far and wide ..I think Gossip is the greatest danger to this park and past history . I have to say your email and support is most welcoming news and one that pleases me greatly .I was in two minds whether to write any thing about my visit ..If we all cant get behind this project and help ,its got no hope ..Like all projects it needs all hands on deck and pulling in the right direction ..Same Page ..The history of this park,its just that ..History ..The future of this park is huge .All the infrastructure is in place Millions of dollars worth ..I shudder to build a place like this from new ,in fact this project is a Zoologists dream ..It just needs more breeding programs ,more animals with partners that can inspire the staff ,public and animals themselves ..I write this in a kind fashion , i mean habitats need pairs of ,not 2 males or 1 of ..In time this will all change ,in time confidence will be installed in everyone's minds . The here and now ,your first kind reply is a huge step in the right direction ..The next for them would be to link with other zoos who have excess and want to join hands in marketing each other as well sharing stock ..If your another zoo or park reading this and can ,want to help grow this park ..Contact Elaine ,i know she would be so humbled as well youll be very surprised how nice and genuine these guys are..They need a nice group of volunteers to help them ,they need us all to help them .They have my support,because they are no different to any of us ..They care very much for the animals ,staff and parks future .They have put money where mouth is and work 24/ 7 to make it happen . ..

9. Rough

Rough Well-Known Member

From what I know Elaine had been misguided in regards to a few matters by the former owner and had rejected help from a number of very experienced people in the industry who were willing to help her, It is good to see she has finally turned things around and is understanding the importance of being in the ZAA and having staff that are experienced and well learned in all areas of zoo's. I know a few people who have offered to volunteer and she declined them... is she now changing her position on this and accepting/asking for volunteers? I wish she would change/update the website as to make things clearer and expand her reach.

10. Zoos Int

Hi Rough ,
    Thanks for reply .I do believe she had been misguided ,as well not known who to trust ..From my time with her and Peter i saw a very clear thinking couple who are partnering with the right people and zoos . The past and snippets of gossip ive seen online as well heard are perhaps nasty and malicious with baseless content . I'm just happy to see this park going in the right direction and not failing again . Ive nothing to gain or lose from my comments here , i can only tell you the truth of my findings . I wish them well ,its a nice base to build a Zoo of professional quality and run within all local & national guide lines .

11. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

Its really good to see people wanting to get behind her, I live local and I here things that are happening at the Zoo all the time. On of my Dads business friends was looking at buying the Zoo ONLY a few months back. I hope know one is being lead down the garden path, Elaine is trying to sell the land, and I would say she is still trying to sell the zoo,
    Here is the link to the house and land, 2577 Kennedy Highway, Koah, Qld 4881 - House for Sale #111105931 - realestate.com.au

12. zoogirl76

zoogirl76 Member

The land size has changed, it was 27 acres originally which would have included part of the zoo so not sure what the story is there. I would love to see the zoo do well, those animals deserve a break & someone who can give them a future but as Peelzoo said it takes a team to build something & she has had 8 employees quit since she took over in March, there is only one remaining staff member who is a junior & the previous staff stayed at the zoo for about 9 months without pay before it sold so for them to all quit must mean that something is very wrong & she would seem to be the common denominator, she seemed to be listening to everyone but her staff & they were the ones with the hands on knowledge. I haven't really noticed anything changing there either, there's no advertising, the signage hasn't changed, she just seems to be ticking along.