Join our zoo community

Shanghai Wild Animal Park Shanghai Wild Animal Park

Discussion in 'China' started by vogelcommando, 26 Nov 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I can't play the video on the link so perhaps there's more on there. But, while I get that they are also saying the dogs are allegedly being held in bad conditions, the whole article really smacks of China-bashing and seems designed to appeal to the "white Australia" demographic. Such as how within the space of a breath the writer says that the greyhounds were once "earmarked as future kings and queens of the [Australian] track" but now instead they have to run on a track in China.

The use of terms such as "forced" to run is also designed to play the pity card. They're greyhounds - running is the sole thing they are bred for.

I'd like to know what happens to greyhounds in Australia when they get too old to run, anyway...

I'm also assuming that the photo of Kerry Elliman in front of small concrete pens is at her greyhound rescue centre in the UK.

Brum and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Indeed a brilliant piece of fake news.

That is not to say one cannot have reservations about some of P.R. China's commercial zoo operations vis a vis municipal administration run zoos in P.R. China. I would concur - and probably our China forumsters will agree - that the Shanghai Wild Animal Park does not live up to the same standards as the regular and municipal Shanghai Zoo.

5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think it's also worth mentioning that racing cheetahs with greyhounds is a common practice in American zoos - not forced and not for entertainment, but to provide the cheetahs with stimulation and exercise (the San Diego Zoo does, for example).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I understand that among Chinese enthusiasts SWAP is actually held up as an example of a commercial zoo which avoids some of the more egregious practices common in the private sector over here. It is certainly not perfect in that regard however.

7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It seems the lions, tigers and brown bears are no longer in the drive-through area since the gruesome accident. During my visit last week the former bear enclosure housed a large herd of elk (Sichuan deer), sika deer and Père David's deer, while the former lion and tiger enclosures housed zebras and antelopes.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  10. Animallover23

Animallover23 Active Member

Is female southern white rhino La Loca/Itsuko still alive?