Join our zoo community

Shanghai Zoo Shanghai Zoo News

Discussion in 'China' started by FunkyGibbon, 25 Sep 2017.

1. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Two male Wreathed Hornbills fledged in August.

orcalover83 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Ding Lingwei

Ding Lingwei Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Glad to finally see a news thread for Shanghai Zoo! Thanks FunkyGibbon!:p

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Ding Lingwei

Some more updates from the zoo's official social media (Weibo) account:

-Two South China tiger cubs were born in April and June. The first cub was mother-raised.

-A male Brazilian tapir calf was born on May 26th.

-A giraffe calf was born in May.

-Two oriental pied hornbills fledged in June.

-Two red-crowned cranes hatched in June.

-A pair of giant anteaters have been put on exhibit since July, a species returning to the collection after a 20 year departure.

-A baby hippo was born on July 3, the second calf of 15 year-old mother Xiao Dongxi (which means "Little Thing" in Chinese).

-Six brown-mantled tamarins have been on exhibit since August, a new addition to the collection.

-Two recently hatched and hand-reared black-headed ibises were re-introduced to the flock this month.

-The zoo announced plans for an East China wetlands exhibit and a new feline complex (will demolish the old small mammal area and nearby puma and jaguar cages).

More information will be posted later.

4. Ding Lingwei

News based on photos from Chinese forums and my visit last month:

-Other notable recent births include mona monkey, lion-tailed macaque, Francois' langur, yellow-cheeked gibbon, pileated gibbon, orangutan, chimpanzees, black-backed jackal and hog deers.

-A sarus crane was newly added to the crane exhibit.

-The announced East China exhibit plan includes an entrance plaza, an otter exhibit, wetland bird exhibits (with common crane, hooded crane, white-naped crane, oriental white stork, black stork and possibly Siberian crane) and seven mammal habitats (Malayan porcupine, raccoon dog, Asian badger, hog badger, masked palm civet, Reeves' s muntjac and Chinese water deer). The new cat complex will feature South China tiger, leopard and clouded leopard (not sure how they're gonna source the last one as the whole captive population in PRC is down to two females in Chongqing).

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which leopard subspecies?

BTW: thanks for the wealth of new info on comings and goings at Shanghai Zoo.
    Hopefully, more to follow!

6. FunkyGibbon

Completely agree KB. Shanghai Zoo is two developments away from being very good indeed: the old Children's Zoo/Small Mammal Area, and the Bear Pits. After the completion of the China Wetlands Area it will will be one development away.

I think the most significant thing about China Wetlands is that it represents a departure from the otherwise strict taxonomic organisation of the zoo; an interesting sign of things to come perhaps.

The new cat complex is interesting as the zoo already has two (that won't be affected by this development): three moated exhibits for lions and tigers and a series of smallish cages for caracal, serval, eurasian fox and black-backed jackal (not 100% sure but something along those lines). So perhaps not a priority but if it sees a continued shift towards an East Asian theme then that would be something I support for the zoo.

Shanghai will always have a good collection of ABCs for local visitors. If the collection could simultaneously focus on rare and indigenous (or regional) species, and build up a reputation for good enclosures and conservation work (the latter I understand it to already deserve) it could really market itself to the huge number of tourists the city receives. Things like having a great panda exhibit rather than a lacklustre one would go a long way in this regard.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what about the monkey cages? Have they been replaced, or did you forget them?

When I was there (2013, so a while ago) the Small Mammal area was largely empty already and the impression I had from the state of the cages was that the empty ones were "abandoned" as opposed to "not yet refilled".

8. FunkyGibbon

The primate area is largely renovated. The mandrill and macaque rows of cages are the only remains of the hellhole you described. To the others height has been added, adjacent cages have been merged, they are handsomely planted and basically rather good. The Chimp and Orang indoors could do with some work though. There are issues to do with public feeding and also open-topped enclosures that seem curiously unused. Basically though, you would be delighted with the improvement (photos are in the gallery from my two visits).

In 2016 the SMA was as you describe it but this year they had put quite a lot of work into select enclosures for porcupines, otters and coatis. Unfortunately they had also brought a row of cells and bars back into use for wild dogs and hyaenas which are some of the worst things I've seen in a zoo.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2017
    Chlidonias likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

ah, I seem to have missed all the recent 2017 photos by yourself and baboon. But I had seen the April 2016 ones, so in fact I did know the primate area had been improved but had completely forgotten about it.

10. FunkyGibbon

And in fact I did a review of my 2016 visit that you commented on :p

11. Chlidonias

I can't be expected to remember that! I looked in the Shanghai Zoo forum and there wasn't anything, so I guess it is in your Chinese Takeaway thread? That's the problem with having a single thread of multiple diverse reviews.

12. FunkyGibbon

Fair point. I should probably tidy that thread up or disperse it altogether. Anyway we are straying off-topic.

13. FunkyGibbon

Back on topic, a female puma was born in June. She's named Guo Guo, which means Fruit. Fruity might be a better translation.
    The mother's previous litters have been hand raised, due to health concerns related to her rather than the cubs. In spite of this, or possibly because of it, the decision was made to let her raise this one, and it's been a great success.

The link is in Chinese, but I recommend opening it just for the pictures. She's incredibly beautiful.

拒绝萌萌哒,阿拉是只猛兽!小美洲狮明日首展!

14. Ding Lingwei

I know it's a late reply... I'm not sure what subspecies Shanghai keeps, but most Chinese zoos keep either North Chinese leopard or generic zoo-mix.

15. Ding Lingwei

More births and deaths in 2017:

-A baby golden snub-nosed monkey was born in May.

-Six grey-winged trumpeter chicks hatched in May, the first successful breeding record for the zoo.

-The old laughing kookaburra passed away in the summer, which was the last specimen in any public collection in mainland China.

-Two black curassow chicks hatched in July and August, the first time for Shanghai.

-A leopard cub was born on August 10.

-A Stanley crane hatched on August 18 (another new record).

-Bouleman, the first gorilla of Shanghai Zoo, passed away on November 27. He was born in the wild around 1974 and estimated to be 43 years old. A beloved member for generations of zoo visitors, Bouleman’s remains will be prepared by Shanghai Museum of Natural History.

-Two small-clawed otter cubs were born and put on exhibit recently.

-21 Reeves’s pheasant chicks hatched in 2017.

Kifaru Bwana and FunkyGibbon like this.
  16. FunkyGibbon

@Ding Lingwei is the current population of Golden snub-nosed monkeys in Chinese Zoos as healthy and growing as I assume?

17. Ding Lingwei

Yes indeed;)

18. FunkyGibbon

Let's hope the ones coming to Prague are not the only ones then!

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  19. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It would be really nice to have a country wide update on snub-nosed monkeys in P.R. China zoos around the country (and this for the 3 species in residence).

20. FunkyGibbon

@Ding Lingwei do you have an estimated completion date for the Wetlands Area?

Also, will the cranes and storks move from the existing enclosure by the lake?