Join our zoo community

Shepreth Wildlife Park Shepreth Wildlife Park News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paix, 25 Aug 2010.

Tags:
  1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not really much potential for expansion, with the railway line one side, a public footpath with farmland beyond at the far end and the village football/cricket ground the other. The latter would be the easiest to develop, if they could find a helpful farmer who would provide several acres somewhere else on the edge of the village for a new sports ground. But the money to buy a prime piece of Cambridgeshire building land would be another matter!

2. pipaluk

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You are better off that way - the best way I can put it is "very poor quality exotics petshop with very little stock"

4. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Well i'm hopefully going to both on my little end of/new year zoo visiting weekend. I'm doing Hamerton tomorrow(Wednesday),Shepreth on Thursday ,weather permitting and Whipsnade on Saturday. I will let you know my thoughts on the comparison of the 2 smaller zoos. I will also add some more upto date enclosure photos into the respective galleries as neither of the 2 smaller zoos have got many.:)

5. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

You could probably fit in Linton on the same day that you do shepreth, I enjoy shepreth but it is very basic. Glad they don't charge for that underwater world anymore! Paid for that once and it was rubbish I'm afraid! I have more variety at home!

6. stubeanz

Actually Linton may be closed for winter?!

7. pipaluk

Linton is open every day this week.
    It's normally open weekends only Nov-Feb apart from the school holidays though.

8. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

TODAY I VISITED Shepreth for the first time in about 5-6 years,although i dont think alot has changed i do have a soft spot for this little zoo.Just to go on previous posts I can confirm that you dont pay extra to go into bugs world and in fairness it wasn't to bad .The pumas sign is still up saying he had passed away. The tigers were seperated today - i dont know if thats a everyday occurence but i didnt like seeing a big cat pacing inside a small indoor enclosure.I did not see the Maned wolves unfortunately.The crab eating macaques have been there some years now and are looking rather elderley as are the VERVETS.Red panda was fast asleep.And you do need binoculars to see the Ring Tailed lemurs and common marmosets on their islands.They did used to have Squirrel monkeys running free about 2or 3 of them but didnt see any so I assume they may have passed on.The Lynx looked good but were in seperate enclosures..black and white ruffed lemurs where we caught a keeper talk.I don't know how old the meerkat display is but looked good and they had babies.Scottish wildcat - ive never seen before. The tropical house had been updated since i had been there and i was surprised not to find any free flying birds.The nocturnal house was good especially the bat walk through in fact probably say best exhibit. funniest thing was seeing a female mallard attack a peahen - mallard won .All in all for 2-3 hours i think its worth a visit you are not going to see anything new(animal wise) but for what it is I would say its worth it .

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For Scottish wild cat news and origins (ex Fife WP) please see posting #30 on this thread!

10. Big Rob

Has anyone been to Shepreth lately? I went nearly a year ago and there was mention of them getting Snow Leopards but their website has no news and is pretty awful actually.:(

11. pipaluk

Went 2 weeks ago, no snow leopards or anything else new

12. Big Rob

Oh dear,i am down that area at the New year and was hoping to go. Looks like it might be Whipsnade instead because Linton looks a bit limited in animal variety. Lots of Lemurs and tortoises and not a lot else,except the Snow Leopards which I adore. Is Linton a good replacement for Shepreth?:confused:

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Bear in mind that one of those lemurs you dismiss at Linton is one of the most unusual, and rarest both worldwide and in captivity, taxa around :p

Last edited: 20 Dec 2015
  14. garyjp

I wouldnt dismiss Shepreth at all I think its worth a visit

15. Big Rob

I didn't mean to disrespect the collection. I'm not hugely knowledgeable of the rarer species kept in captivity. I am more into the photography side of zoos and wildlife parks.
    And i'm not dismissing Shepreth garyjp,but I have already attended less than 12 months ago and I did enjoy it,especially the Red panda's.

16. garyjp

Big Rob - no not at all I have a soft spot for Shepreth but you will not see anything new from last year. There is a spare big cat cage so i suppose in the future they have plans.I'm sure its one of those collections that does struggle financially but i like what they do and who they are.It also seems bizarre that these days we say seeing Crab eating macaques is rare

17. stubeanz

I visited last month and they did mention the snow leopards for future development but no actual building from what I could see.
    Not sure if it is mentioned on this thread but the bug world (which you had to pay extra for on my last visit) is now free and part of the zoo entrance fee.

18. garyjp

just seen on facebook a lynx tamara has been put down

19. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Took my first ever visit here today and really quite liked it. Want sure what to expect to be honest, but was really pleasantly surprised. It may be small but it has nice variety and is well run. Was actually quite impressed with the nocturnal flight for Egyptian Fruit Bats, nice and long with plenty of flying space, and got a pretty good view of the Pygmy Loris pair.

20. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

What is currently in the third cat enclosure, next to the lynx? I thnik there is some talk of snow leopards eventually to replace the puma that were there before.