Join our zoo community

Shorelands Wildlife Gardens Shorelands Wildlife Gardens

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 22 Apr 2012.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shorelands

Visited for the first time last week. Saw my first Chacoan Mara. Large group of White Storks, Cabot's Tragopans, Edwards' Pheasants, Darwin's Rheas. Some nice birds walking around loose included White-faced Whistling Ducks, Demoiselle Cranes and the following Geese: Nene, Red-breasted, Bar-headed, Abyssinnian Blue-winged, Swan Geese. Lovely collection. Saw my first Timor Deer in years -- London Zoo used to have loads.

2. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With all those free-ranging birds I've wondered how they prevent fox predation.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2.0 White Collared Lemur have arrived from Linton. Shorelands join Linton and Mulhouse to become the 3rd European holder for this species

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Fantastic news, of course - the more places one can see this great taxon, the better.

5. ISOE2012

ISOE2012 Well-Known Member

6. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there yesterday but it wasn't me!

7. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don't think that anyone who has visited will be surprised that someone managed to break in! I think most people's back gardens are probably more secure!

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That may well be, … however it is no excuse to belittle the growing threat from illegal wildlife trade even for zoos. It is a very very neglected field in police crime investigation, … let alone persecution or conviction (rates …). And the profits from this are huge and the "investment" by criminal elements is minimal as opposed to drugs or other crime "trade".

9. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Shocking. But Pipaluk is quite right though, the Shorelands site is very vulnerable, zoos must protect themselves adequately, especially in this day and age.
    Though it is a great shame that they have to do that of course.

10. TeaLovingDave

A further very nice import:

https://www.facebook.com/1305631870...0563187022820/925804397498691/?type=3&theater

11. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And a further very nice import;

We imported our young Western Piping Hornbills (Bycanistes fistulator fistulator) in November from Zlin Zoo in the Czech Republic. These hornbill come from the forests of West & Central Africa, feeding on fruits and insects. Only a handful of European zoos keep these species and we believe that our birds are the only ones in the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/1305631870...0563187022820/963124603766670/?type=3&theater

12. TeaLovingDave

Very nice indeed :)

13. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

This collection is following in the footsteps of the RSCC in as much as it is becoming a choice collection of rarely seen taxa, for us zoo enthusiasts!!
    Let`s hope it continues to prosper.

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just a shame it couldn't have picked up a few of RSCC's old taxa:p

~Thylo:cool:

15. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes indeed.

16. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed.

I think it's chances are very good. The on-site (plant) nursery and fine cafe compliment the zoo well and I think there's a lot of ""knock-on spend" between these three components -they seem to have their heads screwed on, business wise. Also the place is fantastically enthusiastic and friendly which, I'd hope, results in many return visitors.

17. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shorelands reports the receipt of a pair of Hadada Ibis (Bostrychia hagedash) from Exmoor Zoo. They were "...sent to us with a selection of other species as Exmoor Zoo are restructuring their animal collection as a result of joining the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA)."

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hope this doesn't mean Exmoor are losing anything interesting!:/

~Thylo:cool:

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited today for the 2nd time and left very disappointed! I visited a year or so ago and left feeling the place had potential, but what I found was a place that seemed to have gone backwards! Loads of empty enclosures and please no-one look on ZTL because it's hopelessly wrong in terms of what you can see!

Warty pigs, chacoan mara, Greater Guinea pig, pelican, geoffroy's cat, Timor deer not on show or gone, no sign of white collared lemur either. If you are happy to see a large paddock with white stork, grey crowned crane, white naped crane, Darwin's rhea, alpaca & 2 miniature donkey then travel out of your way. Half the birds weren't signed & all the owls can only be viewed through the bush where the marmosets & tamarin seem to live.

Very disappointing!

20. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pipaluk,

I visited for the second time earlier in the summer (my first visit was at the back end of 2014) and my thoughts reflect yours exactly. I was disappointed with the much-reduced collection and the overgrown and run-down enclosures. Fortunately I did see the lemur - which could only be viewed through the window of the education/meeting room - and I did see the Geoffroy's cat - through the window of the cafe. The warty pigs were shut in their barn. Gone also were jangaurundi, slender mongoose, sitatunga, callitrichids and many interesting birds too.