Join our zoo community

Should anyone ever have "dreams" of making a zoo? Or is this ridiculous and stupid?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by AnaheimZoo, 24 Jun 2011.

1. AnaheimZoo

AnaheimZoo Well-Known Member

The Association of Zoos and Aquariums estimates that there are approximately 2,400 animal exhibits operating under USDA license as of February 2007; fewer than 10% are accredited.

The ____ Safari Park in China keeps a pair of moon bears in cages so small that they are unable to turn around.

The Zoo Licensing Act of 1981, which came into force in 1984, requires that all zoos be inspected and licensed, and that animals kept in enclosures are provided with a suitable environment in which they can express most normal behavior.

Lucky the Asian Elephant @ San Antonio Zoo, a sad true story…

That “stereotypical behavior…” is that what you would call normal behavior for an elephant? How often do you see the elephants on Animal Planet doing that?

That habitat… treeless, dry… it makes the elephant look out of place. Does that look natural to you?

I love animals. I always have and I always will. This, it bothers me. Now I may be saying that just because I have a soft spot for animals, but I’m almost positive that even some person who didn't love animals would still find this disturbing.

What’s my point? Well, just like so many others, I want to avoid this. Yes, I can donate to this animal’s cause and need for a better home, but helping this one elephant won’t make the slightest difference for the captive animals’ population. Some supposedly vital “small steps” sometimes never account to anything. How do we know that one elephant could have their life changed only to hear that five or six others are in an even worse condition? And then maybe four in one zoo, two in that zoo, and three here in this zoo…
    And that’s just elephants! There’s mistreated lions, leopards, tigers, rhinos, apes, bears, parrots, snakes… the list goes on and on.

“Oh, zoos are terrible… Animals don’t belong there.”
    “Boycott zoos! They’re awful places!”

No. They’re not. Zoos are not terrible, awful places. And are you sure you’re even referring to a zoo, and not one of those run-down, low-budget concrete hellholes found in bankrupt, poorly-managed cities?

Yes, zoos have their slackers… I will admit that. But look at these zoos, absolutely spectacular care-takers for animals, and still striving to get better! , ,
    Do these look like terrible places that deserve to be removed? I don’t think so. My dream is to rid all zoos of this label. I want zoos to be known as fantastic worlds where animals can’t tell what’s wild and what’s captivity. And I will try and hope to do this by creating a world class zoo. But is it worth the “waste” of thinking time? I have so many ideas for what could be done, yet with something like this there are so many things that could go wrong. Do I risk starting something that I could possibly lose control of and have ending up like what you saw in the first elephant video? I am at the point in my life where I must decide what career path I want to choose and I’m still not entirely sure. I love animals with all of my heart and want them to receive the respect they demand and deserve, in the wild and in zoos. Unless I consider myself incapable and not willing enough, should I abandon all of these dreams completely? Right now I don’t know everything there is to know about animal care, so, yes, I’d have a very long way to go from here, but should I work towards this goal? I believe I love animals enough and I feel I have enough ambition that nothing like this would ever happen in any creation of mine. And in order to ensure that, I know I need to work hard and do my best to make these goals that much more possible.

Yes, I’m aware that this isn’t a site for peoples’ ramblings about their feelings. But I’m sure I’m not the only one who has thoughts like this. What do you think? Am I to desert the thoughts because of fear of what could go wrong and because all zoos are “bad” or do I pursue the dream? Many say zoos are terrible places for animals and that they should all be boycotted or discontinued. I want to change that. I really do.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you do a search in the ZooChat search box for "starting your own zoo" you will find a couple very lengthy threads started by people who do in fact plan on starting their own zoo.

If you want to build a first rate zoo, as it sounds like you do, my advice would be to go for it if you are a millionaire (I mean this in all seriousness, I am not trying to be sarcastic). If you are of modest means like most of us, it might not be realistic. Joining forces with an existing facility you support might be a good option (as I have chosen to do by being a docent at my local zoo).

As for elephants, I think we will see less suffering from them nationwide than for many other animals. The reason for this is the AZA implemented an elephant plan several years ago and about 50 zoos across the country (including mine) are either building or have just built expanded facilities. The new plan also addresses the need for them to live in herds. It will be increasingly difficult for non-AZA facilities to keep or obtain elephants (with the exception of Ringling Bros circus, which has a strong Florida breeding center).

3. AnaheimZoo

Aside from joining a nearby facility, is there any way you can just ask how business is run on a normal visit? If you went up to someone at your local zoo and said, "I'd like to learn more about zoo management," would they redirect you somewhere else and just tell you to "go study it, then" or would they give you a brief little... thing about what they do? (because I know for certain they wouldn't give you a special backstage tour just because you asked :))

I would very much like to join and volunteer at my zoo, just so you know, but I don't think it's possible at this moment, what with lack of funds these days... :eek:. If I had difficulty doing this, in what other ways can you get involved?

Last edited: 27 Jun 2011
  4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You would likely NOT be able just to casually ask on a normal visit - especially since that is a question for the director or senior management, whom you are unlikely to run into out on the grounds. The best method is to write to a director and most I think will give you a very thoughtfully written response. The ZAA is also much easier to break into than the AZA, so you may want to look up their website and contact their management as well.

5. AnaheimZoo

Oh, I'm getting more and more "where I want to be" now that I've been able to share with people here on ZooChat. :D:D:D I've logged onto the ZAA and AZA websites and am really happy on where's it's going. I'm getting lists of common zoo and aquarium jobs (something that someone's never been entirely sure of each time I've asked in person), how to find internships, and I really thank you for taking the time to read my thread and reply. I thank you, once again, ArizonaDocent, because I don't think I would've gotten anything accomplished this summer if I hadn't come to ZooChat. You're really helping me get to where I wanna be (or at least I feel that way ;)) and you're practically a stranger! (No offense, I mean that in the most honest/respectful way considering I don't know you... :p) Yet you've still helped me!

6. AnaheimZoo

Also, I'm starting to think I need to focus on one main thing I want to do in a zoo. I know I have to start small, but as I look at the list of jobs, I realize that I want to be a part of exhibit design, purchasing of settlements (to a lesser extent than the rest however), animal care and animal research, public relations (I'd like to be part of commercials and advertising), and I'd like to do a little bit of horticulture wherever I could. Would I have to narrow it down or could it all be done with more time in school? And if I wanted to do all of these things, should I just shoot for COO or does that put me in a position to do more of things I find a little less interesting, such as membership director, or paying staff? I would like to be involved in a number of things at the zoo, just not every thing.

7. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Be aware that the original ZAA is in America and the more recent ZAA is the rebadged Australian association.

All the best with your quest.

8. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

In larger zoos, your list of jobs would be split among a dozen people and their colleagues. Exhibit designers (there are few employed directly by zoos) do not have anything to do with animal care. The COO goes to meetings, solves all sorts of problems with the staff but has nothing to do with animal research, little if anything to do with animal care, etc. Advertising is almost always done by outside ad agencies. The marketing people at the zoo work with them.
    In smaller zoos, someone may well wear "several hats." But it leads to burn out. Still, if they survive, they may move on to larger zoo or they may move up the ladder at their own zoo.

Depending on where you are located in New York, all but one of the zoos is small (same for NJ and CT). Call the zoo. ask for the Director. Explain that you want a career in zoo management but aren't sure what and would like help focusing. See if you can have a half hour of their time. Be prepared with your questions in advance and listen to what he or she says.
    That may help you focus, and then you can arrange a similar interview with the person whose job sounds best to you.
    Just think it through before you meet with them so you don't waste their time... or you won't be welcomed back.

9. AnaheimZoo

Thank you. I'll see what I can do... Sorry, I pretty much asked you this question more directly in the thread we were previously talking on... I should've read this one first :eek:.

10. AnaheimZoo

Ok, yeah I noticed that one ZAA is the Zoological Association of America and the other is the Zoo and Aquarium Association across Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific Islands.
    And thank you very much. :D