Join our zoo community

ZooDoo Wildlife Park Siberian Tigers for Tasmania?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by zooboy28, 25 Feb 2016.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

ZooDoo Zoo in Tasmania has applied to import Siberian Tigers. Not sure why they would bother, when the animals will not be contributing to a managed population usefully and there are none currently in the region. They would be better off going for Sumatrans (managed in the region in large numbers, although potentially difficult/lengthy wait to obtain) or hybrids (dwindling numbers, don't think any are breeding (maybe Dreamworld?), although surplus could be available). The apparent lack of understanding of the Bengal Tiger situation is also rather concerning...

Story here: Animal welfare activists angered over Zoodoo Zoo's plan for Siberian tigers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's a pity that there were so many Tasmanians who showed little care for Tasmanian tigers 100 years ago.

3. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

They're the most easiest subspecies of tiger to obtain? Why not to be established breeding programme for Siberian tigers in Australian region? Tigers are relatively easy to care for, they are breeding with success in zoos, and problem would not be importing and exchange of Siberian tigers with oversea zoos. There are 380 of them in European zoos only.

That zoo would wait a lot for other subspecies. And instead to offer it's place for generic tigers, it offer the capacity to contribute to the ex city conservation of endangered species. You will agree with me - When we look at that way, many animals populations in Australian zoos are not self-sustainable, eg. Western lowland gorillas, and they must continuosly be exchanged with animals from other, oversea zoos.

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Are there Siberian tigers in New Zeland?

5. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Different time, different mentality, different priorities...

:p

Hix

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No - only Sumatran and hybrids

My concern would be how Amur Tigers would adapt to the climate in Australia. They're built for snow and extreme cold, not a hot climate

Surely they'd be able to obtain a pair or a single Sumatran in a (temporarily at least) none breeding situation ?

7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I imagine Siberians would be adaptable, at least to the Tasmanian climate. However, they then wouldn't be part of a breeding programme, and there is no chance of a second tiger subspecies being managed by the region due to a lack of space. They are struggling as it is to have enough spaces to keep the Snow Leopard population going (which seem to cope fine with the Australian climate).

I'd think they could obtain Sumatrans, but there may be a waiting list. If they were to import they could bypass that.

8. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Playing devil's advocate, if (a pretty big if) Aust zoos went out of generics, then that would open up alot of potential spaces for tigers. That void wouldn't be filled by Sumatrans (as obviously there aren't enough to go around now). Could Siberians fill this gap and be managed successfully...?

A real pity that more zoos haven't come on board with snow leopards. I can see the same situation that occurred with Persians and very nearly maned wolves, where the big 4 city zoos lose interest and the slack isn't quickly picked up by the smaller zoos. One would think - charismatic endangered big cat would be a winner...

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there aren't really a lot of generics in Australia though (most zoos that have them only have one or two, apart for Dreamworld obviously), and they almost all also house Sumatrans anyway - I think the only public zoo with generics but no Sumatrans is Crocodylus Park.

10. ZOODOO

ZOODOO Member

We have had Bengal Tigers in the past. Our last one was put down at the age of 16 due to deteriorating age related health issues. As a result we currently have an empty tiger facility. We have been in regular contact with ZAA waiting for them to open up the membership process for the past 18 months. After all this time they are still not ready to take any new applications. Even when ZAA are ready to take applications then it will take a long time to get our application assessed, approved and then there will be the waiting list to actually obtain any tigers through ZAA... basically to go down that route is going to be years of waiting on top of the already 18 months we have waited for applications to open up, all the while with an empty exhibit. Some may say it's not ideal to display the generic tigers but at the end of the day even a generic tiger has the potential to raise a lot of funds and awareness for the in-situ conservation programs.

11. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I thought Zoodoo were members of ZAA a few years back, was this dropped?

12. ZOODOO

ZOODOO Member

Hi MJR, Zoodoo have never applied to become ZAA members before though it is our intention to do so once applications open up.

13. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Funny, I was sure you were members about a decade ago. My mistake.