Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Siberian Weasels

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Sand Cat, 8 Jan 2009.

1. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hamerton Zoo's current guide book lists Siberian Weasels as being part of their collection, yet I've been there twice in the last 2 years and not seen any, and in fact I haven't even seen any evidence of any! I had assumed that they no longer had them... until a recent newsletter confirmed that they actually acquired some more early last year, and that they've bred!

I'm a bit puzzled as to where they're kept at Hamerton, or even if they're not on public display. Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Incidentally, Hameton have actually sent some of these weasels to Longleat for their new animal attraction which I believe is due to open this year.

2. foz

foz Well-Known Member

theres a picture of the siberian weasels on the gallery so they have/had them, sorry i couldn't be more help.

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a bit of a departure for Longleat to bring in such an unusual species, hopefully the start of things to come.

4. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I took the picture in October this year . They had lots of them , having bred from several pairs . The keeper was cleaning them out and feeding them and they were scuttling all over the pens . I don't know why , but I had expected something smaller , they were about ferret sized .

Hamerton had been trying to place them with other collections but , apart from Longleat , there had been no interest .

5. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the info, that's very interesting; I expected the weasels to be very small too. Could you help to give me an idea whereabouts they were at Hamerton, or even what sort of enclosure they were in? I intend to go there again sometime this year and I really, REALLY want to see those weasels!!!

6. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Siberian weasels at Hamerton were housed in a block of fairly small aviary-type cages at the far end of the main grounds . Near-by were the macaws with viscachas in similar housing , the small Reptile House was also near-by . The cages were furnished with boxes , pipes , branches and had earth floors with grass . When I first found them the keeper was working as already mentioned so it was not surprising to see them out . However when I went back later some could be seen again . The one in the photo had climbed up the wire , they were very lively . They were being fed portions of chicken .