Join our zoo community

Silent Forest Campaign

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 7 Nov 2020.

1. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

As stated before, it is indeed one of the big temporary EAZA campaigns. Several zoos keep working with in-situ protection of songbirds, as they have done before the campaign. The idea of these big campaigns is to bring these issues to light to both the larger public and probably also to certain zoos and give them a temporary huge boost in conservation and hopefully a long-term smaller boost.

CAMPAIGNS » EAZA

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree, I just wasnt aware of how short-lived / duration these were when I first posted the thread.

There was actually a talk in one of the EAZA videos that I shared yesterday on the Europe in general section of the forum (I think ?) about the campaign that is quite interesting.

Jarne likes this.
  3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

By the way, do you have virtual access to your university library ?

Because there is a very interesting paper that I have wanted to read specifically on the Bali starling that you may find interesting but I unfortunately cannot read because it is stuck behind a paywall.

"The future of the Bali Starling (Leucopsar rothschildi)-New perspectives for in situ and ex-situ conservation"

Considering your interest in birds you may want to check it out and have a read.

Jarne likes this.
  4. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

I do have access to it from home yes, I will look if it's available.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That would be great and if there is anything that is particularly interesting in that paper please do share it here on this thread as I would love to hear more about this.

6. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to the website with the pay-wall? Only research gate pops up when I look it up.

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, of course, it is :

Pagel, T., The future of the Bali Starling (Leucopsar rothschildi) - new perspectives for in situ and ex situ conservation Zoologische Garten, 2006. 76(1): p. 16-33.

So the specific journal it was published in would be "Zoologische Garten".

8. Jarne

Jarne Well-Known Member

I did find the journal via researchgate, but I failed to find any link. It only popped up other studies citing that one. Now I've found one via one of those studies, but that one isn't in the subscription package of the University sadly enough.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Ah, thats a shame, it seems like such an interesting paper as well... :(

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Just thought I would add that there is a good article in the Spring 2020 issue of "Zooquaria" that is called "A Bright Future for Songbirds" about the Silent forest campaign and the future of in-situ / ex-situ support for Asian songbird conservation.

Also, incredible to find out that David Jeggo, the former bird curator of Jersey Zoo, is the chair of the Silent Forest. I met David a couple of years ago here in Brazil and had a wonderful conversation him about ex-situ conservation of the Bali starling.

Here is the link to the article (download as a pdf to read):

ZOOQUARIA » EAZA